Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's New Shred Machine
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's New Shred Machine
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Guthrie's New Shred Machine Reply with quote

Guthrie will soon take delivery of the new Suhr Modern 24-fret model in a beautiful but understated Mercedes Blue Metallic finish. I had offered him the Candy Orange Metallic one but Guthrie said that color just isn't him, so this classy dark blue color he shall get! Here are the basic specs:

Suhr Modern
Alder body
Maple neck with Pau Ferro fingerboard
New Elliptical neck shape - .780-.830"
10-14" compound radius
1.650" nut width
Jumbo stainless steel frets
Gotoh Floyd double-locking tremolo system
Sperzel tuners
Chrome hardware
Volume, Tone, 5-way
1 - Neck humbucker
2 - Outside coil of neck humbucker
3 - Both humbuckers
4 - Inside coils of both humbuckers
5 - Bridge humbucker
SSH+ humbucker in the bridge, SSV humbucker in the neck
Mercedes Blue Metallic finish
Matching color headstock with silver laser logo
Mother of Pearl dot inlays

It'll be very interesting to see what Guthrie could come up with on this fast and sleek axe built simultaneously for speed and tone. Guthrie did say that it's been a long, long time since he messed with a Floyd. I'm sure it'll be fun for him to get reacquainted with one.

I believe the GG Sig model will still be based on his #1 Mahogany Standard but will incorporate the best features of all of the Suhr guitars in his collection. We'll start working on it as soon as Guthrie gets somewhat familiar with this guitar. Hopefully, we'll have it ready to go by the start of the second-half of the year. Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
markmcg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely guitar!

I'm sure we'll be seeing some floyd warbles from Mr Govan soon Smile.

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pro quality photos of the two Custom Modern guitars that were displayed at NAMM. We just added the photos of the Mercedes Blue one that Guthrie should receive soon. Rob Marcello is getting the Candy Orange Metallic one which fits his 80's hair metal/shred image just fine. Wink Yeah, Guthrie's right. The Orange isn't him. Smile

http://gallery.mac.com/suhrguitars#100265&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=56
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pro quality pics of the Modern 10th Anniversary Limited Edition model. Man, I must say that it really does look scrumptious! Enjoy. These photos make me want to save up for one... Very Happy

http://gallery.mac.com/suhrguitars#100326&bgcolor=black&view=grid

I have a feeling Guthrie's Sig model will look similar to this but with HSH pickup configuration, some different switching/wiring scheme, the non-locking Gotoh 510 bridge with a big steel block, regular dots on the fingerboard, and maybe even a built-in SSC System that would work on the split single-coil modes. Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my favorite pics of the Modern LE sized properly for easy viewing here. This guitar is just so friggin' luscious - sleek and flashy yet it exudes class and taste. It plays fast and accurate but still feels solid, organic and warm. It really is for the modern forward-thinking player who still appreciates old world values of great tone woods and superb workmanship. Man, the GG Sig guitar is going to be so stunning. Very Happy

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Cass679

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Shocked

Everything about that guitar just looks so...right. Everything fits and doesn't look in any way extravagant, out of place, wrong or anything. The 12th fret inlay is just mind-boggingly simple but brilliant. Personally, I wouldn't have a floyd rose but that's just personal taste. Even though I don't like floyds much, it still doesn't stop me from wanting one of these. Everything's perfect!

Congrats on the guitar Ed and all those at Suhr! Look forward to seeing what the GG sig will be like. If its anything like this to go by, damn its goin to be good! Very Happy
Melchizedec

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be a great guitar,but too much similar to the Ibanez RG for me.
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchizedec wrote:

too similar for what? a strat derivative body? locking trem? nothing that in itself is original. those things are hardly exclusive to ibanez, and they certainly didn't invent them.

you'll get a pleked axe with stainless steel frets, a perfect compound radius fretbord that matches the bridge, better pups than in 90% of ibanez axes, matched wood, lifetime warranty neck, myriads of options, and the best customer service around.

i see more differences from ibanez than similarities. the similarities both companys share with everyone else making strat style guitars.

the modern classic ibanez rg guitars stems from vai's green meanie charvel and the tom anderson jem prototype.

RD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melchizedec wrote:

Now you've mentioned it... I still have an old RG550 laying around and it does look almost exactly like it indeed.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually have digitized CAD drawings of the Ibanez Jem/RG body and the Jackson Soloist. We took the outline of the Modern body and superimposed it over the outlines of the Jem and the Soloist and the Modern shape is somewhere in between the two. Another thing is that the body shape is actually asymmetrical. The waists on the upper bout and the lower bout are offset and the lower bout's butt end juts out more like a Jazz Bass, although not that extreme. We actually had an Ibanez Jem in the shop and we put the Modern right next to it and they look quite different from each other.

It's a certain kind of body shape that was really pioneered by Wayne Charvel and Grover Jackson with the Soloist. The Soloist came before the RG and the Jem in the early-80's. You look at the modern "shredder" 24-fret body shapes from the likes of Ibanez, ESP, B.C. Rich, and countless other manufacturers and builders and they're all derived from the pioneering efforts of Charvel/Jackson in the early 80's when Ibanez was still known for building Strat and LP clones.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't wow me like most Suhrs wow me... but I reckon that's the colour and pickup arrangement... neither being my favourite.

That said it being played will be a different thing... looking at guitars on a while background is a bit like looking at clothes folded up (for me anyway)

and in reality it's all about the sound.

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:

you liar you! Cool

frankus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
frankus wrote:

you liar you! Cool

When a guitar is metallic purple - it's all about the sound Cool trust me Wink

I had to go for plain and simple on my Suhr because I think, stripped back to bare wood, all the attention to detail and craftsmanship is there as simple truth, if there is a single flaw it's the trem isn't push in and that's my fault for being a lefty or Gotoh's fault for not making a lefty version.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
sumis wrote:
frankus wrote:

you liar you! Cool

When a guitar is metallic purple - it's all about the sound Cool trust me Wink

I had to go for plain and simple on my Suhr because I think, stripped back to bare wood, all the attention to detail and craftsmanship is there as simple truth, if there is a single flaw it's the trem isn't push in and that's my fault for being a lefty or Gotoh's fault for not making a lefty version.

Well, now you really have a good excuse to come down to Southern Cal for a vacation by bringing your guitar over and we can swap out that bridge for you as Gotoh now has the 510 with the push-in arm available in lefty. Very Happy Bring over the wife and show her Disneyland and Venice Beach and Hollywood, etc., drop off the guitar at our shop, and we'll have it ready by the time you're ready to go back. We've actually done this more than a few times for vacationing Englishmen who just happened to own our guitars. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Cool if I wasn't booked in for a week learning at Bath International Guitar Festival this year, that'd be on the cards.

Hmm I must give this some thought, it'd mean having to reverse my well known opinion of not wanted to be treated like a criminal when visiting a country: finger prints, credit checks and the like...

but for a push in arm on Suhr #7013 or "Frank's very first Suhr" as I've started calling it... Wink

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: