Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The device on Guthrie's headstock
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The device on Guthrie's headstock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: The device on Guthrie's headstock Reply with quote

I'm totally at a loss with this one and I haven't seen Guthrie as of late so I can't ask him, but I am wondering if anybody knows what the device is that he has on the strings behind the nut on his old tobaccoburst PRS (it sits about half way up the headstock). It looks like a black circular plastic\metal device which looks like it holds the 2/3/4/5 strings.

I've never seen it on his PRS before but I am wondering if it has anything to do with helping tuning stability. The device itself is shown on the Lick Library Steve Vai Pt 1 on his lesson for (if my memory serves me right) Ladies Night In Buffalo.

And just to narrow things down even futher, it isn't the furry headband to aid string dampening! Very Happy
Cass679

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure that's not just the truss rod cover sitting under the strings? Is it the same guitar that he uses on the technique videos?
MikeP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sits beyond the truss rod cover and it located 3/4 of the way between the 6/1 string tuners and the 5/2 tuners. In fact, it may well be in that case that it holds the 4th and 3rd strings. Odd device in that case!! It probably is the same guitar as he uses on the technique videos but this is the only time I've ever seen the device on his guitar.
Cass679

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now that you mention...I've seen that on his tobacco coloured prs used on the tone merchants clinic from 2004. As far as I can tell, it just seems like something used to hold plectrums, as there is a Jazz III pick sticking out of the bottom of said device. That seems to make the most sense...then again...i could be very wrong! Confused Rolling Eyes
MikeP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If so, what an odd place to put a pick holder and how dare it masquerade as some sort of 'tuning device of hope' for my PRS! Sad
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Hair band to mute the strings when playing lots of legato lines.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's a kitten that sight reads, distributes picks and mutes strings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: