Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Questions for Guthrie.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions for Guthrie.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Questions for Guthrie. Reply with quote

Means what it says folks Very Happy ...

Post your questions here; Ed and I will harvest the good questions in May and let Guthrie answer them..

If you watch this video from (1:25-1:38 ) is how I might have reacted if I wasn't sufficiently well-versed in British reserve and also somewhat mollified by pints of beer... fast forward .. I'm not trying to make you watch it all Wink

Anyway, got a question? Ask away...

I have the power!
leeb rocks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, this is an amazing opportunity.

Does Guthrie have any recommendations towards transcripiton/general ear training?
liquidtension

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeb rocks wrote:
Does Guthrie have any recommendations towards transcripiton/general ear training?

Actually, he has a pretty good answer for this in his book Creative Guitar 1. If you don't have it, I highly recommend it. Here are his key points:

1. Document individual licks rather than a whole solo if there are only a few bars that you like.

2. Always note the chords which the licks/solos are played over.

3. To quote the book, "It's best to start with the overall structure of a piece, mapping out the chord progressions and figuring out how long each chord lasts, in terms of beats and bars. If there's a particularly difficult section, you would start by notating the general rhythmic outline and then marking the most prominent notes (i.e. those that strike you as being particularly loud or those that seem particularly high or low in pitch) and finally filling in the gaps. If you think that all of the notes in a lick come from the same scale, you should make note of it" (13).

4. Definitely use something that slows down the music. If not computer software, Guthrie recommends a MiniDisc player because they allow you to set markers to which you can return as a reference. rather than having to continually rewind to the beginning.

5. Experiment with EQ to and 'karaoke' functions to see if you can make the guitar or main instrument more pronounced by removing other instruments or frequencies (i.e. mess with a high-pass filter and/or a mid boost).
loiking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short and sweet for mine.

As a Jazzer, do you consider yourself a modal, chordal or a melodic player.
Wickedpicker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

What connection, if any, do you think there is between how you practice and how you improvise in any given performance?
jordan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - I'll jump in....

1. Who was the last guitarist that made you sit up and think "holy crap, who is that?!". (In much the same way most people do when they hear the opening track of Erotic Cakes....)

2. In your own opinion, what's the weakest link in terms of your guitar playing? (ie. What do you wish you were better at?)

Cheers
Jordan.
anth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How'd you go about learning all the different types of chords and inversions?

2. Would you consider in the future giving online webcam lessons like greg howe does?
rich2k4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what was your typical practice session like? would you focus on one style of music at a time? or would you try to incorporate all techniques in one practice session.? for example, would you spend a few months on just country guitar chicken picking, and all other country techniques, or would it be a mix of different styles?
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I can answer one question that keeps coming up,

Guthrie doesn't practice !! I have been around the world with Guthrie doing show ey al and he really doesn't, or warm up, he just plays, to Guthrie it is nothing to do with technique is just music and songs.. and what will sound nice in the moment.

The 1st advise Guthrie gave to my son James was,, well the question was "should I practice with a metronome" the advise was, no chuck it in the bin and get a drummer, as a great drummer is not like a metronome,,,,

Take care

PC
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear guys, if there are any questions left unanswered by May they will be forwarded to Guthrie. Embarassed Very Happy

I have the power!
anth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you use the bridge or neck position pickup to get your funk tone (say for wonderful slippery thing). having trouble getting a good funk tone from my gibson les paul guitar, wondering if it may be possible to use some eq settings to make the les paul sound closer to a strat ?
liquidtension

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions:

1. How do you approach composing the accompaniment for stuff like your Erotic Cakes album? What I mean is, most guys whose albums are largely layered 3-piece sound just like that: 3-piece. But songs like Slidey Boy and others sound so full, but not in an overpowering or extremely obvious "guitar driven" way. Do you just hit record and experiment with a new layer, or do you have some sort of method of working out stuff like that?

2. What's your ultimate goal with your music (career-wise)? Are you pretty much there now, minus more widespread notoriety that would sell more albums, or do you see yourself eventually moving in the direction of more of an established world tour once you have more recognition to sell the needed tickets? Or is there some kind of "secret option C" that's a little less pigeon-holed than the previous two?
nielsri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your approach to improvisation?

Do use a system for dealing with harmony (eg derivative, parallel, or Lydian Chromatic Concept)?

Thanks!
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big question from Guthrie for you guys is how many guys turned up for his free show and to talk to him? as he was there to to chat,, and talk,, and so far we have 8 Guthrie forum people came to the free show!! ??
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's remember that forum members are scattered around every corner of the globe and it seems a good majority of them do not post and are just lurkers. Even UK members a hundred miles away may have found it very difficult to arrange to attend the gig on a Monday night. So how many people showed up, Paul?
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: