Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Musical confession...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Musical confession...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Musical confession... Reply with quote

I have a little bit of a musical confession. Up until now I've never really be able to get into Scott Henderson's playing, but that all changed this past week. I mean, I've always respected him as an incredible guitarist, but his playing never did anything for me. Anyway, I randomly listened through a lot of his stuff again this past week and it just clicked for the first time. I guess my ear just wasn't mature enough before (which means I'll be ready for Holdsworth in about 30 more years!). Anyway, it was just neat to finally make that connection with his music.

With that said, it's amazing just how much good music is out there. I mean, I've always realized that, but there are those times when you kinda experience that "wow" factor (usually followed by depreciating thoughts regarding your own musical abilities). I just checked out the JazzTimes Superband stuff today and it blew me away! I've heard Berg on Mike Stern's stuff, Chambers on Extraction, and heard snippets of Randy Brecker, but this just blew me away!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Guthrie certainly digs Scott, so it's essential you get Scott as well! Wink Here's a cool pic of Guthrie and Scott chatting at NAMM.

I know what you mean about Scott. It took me a while as well, but once his stuff starts filtering through over a period of time, bam - it hits you and hits you hard. Scott is definitely one of the most amazing players alive. The lines he plays are so over-the-top hip. Like Guthrie, Scott has a lot of outlets (blues trio stuff, more jazz-oriented fusion, some avant-garde kinda stuff with Scott Kinsey, etc.) and not every fare will be for everyone, but there's no denying that Scott remains at the top of his game and continues to push musical boundaries with his incredible playing and original musical voice.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! some great listening ahead of you! live he's the shit. seen him seven times, and he's never off as far as i can tell. (although drunk a few times, possibly stoned once Very Happy ).

time for some wayne krantz next Wink

guitaral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooh, wayne krantz is nasty. so is scott, though. and, of course, guthrie! Laughing i've just been getting into the wayne krantz stuff; can you recommend any good albums by him? also, the bassist he sometimes plays with, tal wilkenfeld, is friggin awesome.
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitaral wrote:
ooooh, wayne krantz is nasty. so is scott, though. and, of course, guthrie! Laughing i've just been getting into the wayne krantz stuff; can you recommend any good albums by him? also, the bassist he sometimes plays with, tal wilkenfeld, is friggin awesome.

i recommend downloading the latest gigs from his web site. that's what he's been about for the last decade or so. no use in putting out a one hour album every third year when your work consists of improvised two hour gigs once a week ...

with that said he's recording his first studio album since 1993 this month.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: