Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New Suhr Axes for Steve Stevens and Dave Kilminster
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Suhr Axes for Steve Stevens and Dave Kilminster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: New Suhr Axes for Steve Stevens and Dave Kilminster Reply with quote

Flash rock guitar maestro Steve Stevens just took delivery of this new beauty.

Should be going on the road on a new Billy Idol tour. Cool

A lot of our artists are busy getting ready for the summer tour season, so we've been working overtime attending to their gear needs.

We're finishing up Reb's Modern and he'll take delivery of it on Friday during Whitesnake rehearsals in LA. They're ready to embark on a massive world tour. We've also been going over Doug Aldrich's guitars and Reb's amps.

Guthrie's good buddy and another guitarist extraordinaire Dave Kilminster, going on tour with Roger Waters, just took delivery of his second Classic T. They're in LA right now as well in rehearsals.

Mike Landau will be going on another big tour with James Taylor and we'll be scrambling to get his gear all ready by mid-May. Scott Henderson's got another European tour coming up so we'll have to give his gear a thorough going-over pretty soon. Progressive metal band Iced Earth will be going on a European festival tour opening up for the likes of Iron Maiden and other major metal acts and they'll be taking five of our guitars on the road, including another Modern. So, yeah, we're hopping busy! Cool

Here are more of the Penthouse close-up pics of the Silver Drip Modern:

http://gallery.mac.com/suhrguitars#100265
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The finish on that first guitar is awesome ... looks like the effect you get dipping a guitar into a vat of water with oil paints on top ... tres nice.

I thought Suhr had stopped doing those kinds of finishes? That said I had a pop at a dripcaster finish and it took ages and still isn't finished.

I didn't know The Killmonster was endorsing Suhr Cool he loves his Tele shapes but that is a strat to all intense and purpose... I like Guthries much much more Smile does this one have SSC in it too? We need to know Smile

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
The finish on that first guitar is awesome ... looks like the effect you get dipping a guitar into a vat of water with oil paints on top ... tres nice.

I thought Suhr had stopped doing those kinds of finishes? That said I had a pop at a dripcaster finish and it took ages and still isn't finished.

I didn't know The Killmonster was endorsing Suhr Cool he loves his Tele shapes but that is a strat to all intense and purpose... I like Guthries much much more Smile does this one have SSC in it too? We need to know Smile

Hey Frank, we're going to start offering this finish again. We've been working on making it thinner than it used to be for the maximum acoustic resonance. There's been a lot of demand from customers for us to offer this finish again, so I guess we're just doing what we always do: making customers happy. Smile

As for Dave, he had received one from us before but never got a chance to really work it in until recently and he absolutely loved it. He said it'd be his main guitar for the upcoming Roger Waters tour and needed a backup, so we got this one done in a jiffy.

No, it doesn't have the SSC. The bridge pickup is a humbucker (Duncan JB Jr.) anyway. Yeah, it really isn't a traditional Tele at all - more of a hot-rodded Strat type of thing. But you should know that Tele bodies do sound a little different from Strat bodies. The Tele body does have more mass and is thus a little bigger and beefier sounding than the Strat body acoustically.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I read the articles on the Suhr site about the body shapes and tone woods before I'd decided Smile

I remember being invited to pick up Guthrie's Tele - I was a bit confused as to why but I think he just liked seeing the utter surprise on people's faces - it's so light.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Yup I read the articles on the Suhr site about the body shapes and tone woods before I'd decided Smile

I remember being invited to pick up Guthrie's Tele - I was a bit confused as to why but I think he just liked seeing the utter surprise on people's faces - it's so light.

Don't use those F trademark words! Wink You mean the Classic T, right? Laughing

There's a little story behind that Classic T that Guthrie got. Before he came over and picked it up at the Suhr booth during 2006 NAMM, we had the guitar displayed there and a monster country/jazz player named Steve Trovato came over and said if he could borrow a "Tele" to use on a jam at a nearby booth. We said, "Sure, why don't you try this one?" It was the one we made for Guthrie. Steve took it with him saying that he'll bring it "right back". Well, he didn't come back for almost the whole day. Finally, he brought it back and said, "Wow, man. This is the best 'Teles' I've ever played in my life!" Quite a complement for one of the foremost Tele masters in the world! Cool

Well, I guess Steve was never able to get Guthrie's T out of his mind. Scott Henderson - who's good friends with Steve - came over to the Suhr shop the other day and we sat down and talked about guitars. Well, Steve is now fully on board with Suhr and we'll start work on two guitars for him, a Classic T and a Classic. So we add yet another monster player to our roster. I look forward to a country jam between Guthrie and Steve in the not-too-distant future. Twisted Evil Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you give me a classic tee, i promise i'll do my best to become a tele master. a t-shirt would do i guess Embarassed Confused

the silver drip is stunning, at least on my screen. i had the opportunity to buy one of the last old drip finishes on a classic that jimmy coppolo had. got a very tempting price, but it had a HUGE neck, so it wouldn't do it for me, and probably would have been harder to sell -- and i'm not into dealing with instruments. just playing them. with that said, the drip finish kind of felt thick . . . you could sense that there was a lot of paint on it, and although it looked cool, and sounded great, very resonant and beefy and not thin at all, it was a bit unsexy, feel wise -- regardless of tha fact that the appearance was sexy as hell (used to date someone like that Wink ).

so how does the new drip finishes FEEL compared to the older ones? still pretty far from an antique i guess . . . but DAMN that silver drip is appealing!

frankus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed I do mean Classic-T. Frankly Fender can keep the name. I think the refinements in the classic are bourne of a real feel for the instruments both in terms of looks and sound whereas (and I may be being sacreligious) Leo's G&L revisions were a bit ... "funky" - quirky little touches that either endeared the guitar to you or really turned you off...

I think it speaks volumes that people try a Suhr for a good long time and then buy a Suhr. I remember my Dad a big sceptic of expensive guitars (and he's a bit of a guitar-builder) checking out the Suhr, he popped over all ready to slate it and say he couldn't tell the difference between it and the strat he bought for my 21st (it's his nature and mine too I guess ;^) ... he picked it up held it checked the finish, the action, the neck... ten minutes later he put it back and said "yes, thats...".. and nothing more has been said of it Smile - it takes something really special to put a man from the North of England off being droll and disapproving Smile

I'd rather see the high contrast colours on a drip though.. the one I tried to make was metallic blue, silver and chrome (enamel paints) and whilst it seems irreverant (and egocentric of me) comparing a joke guitar finish on a joke guitar to the likes of Suhr the colours were proper eye candy Smile .. I'd sell everything but the Classic to have a tele in blue/silver drip humbucker in the neck and a hollow body (no F-hole) and an SSC ... but I hope SSC in Teles is a way off production so there's enough conditions to stop me upsetting the missus for a good long while yet Smile

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
(no F-hole) and an SSC ... but I hope SSC in Teles is a way off production so there's enough conditions to stop me upsetting the missus for a good long while yet Smile

you said "f-hole" . . . Embarassed Laughing

and i guess there's reason to upset the missus, since the ssc has been available on the classic t for quite some time (like gg's).

now, has this f-hole thing something to do with you spending dough on another suhr, and how is it related to the missus?

frankus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSC is available on Classic Ts? Shocked I thought it was a mare....

Still the dripcaster finish Smile

f-hole Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave K sent over a few pics from the Roger Waters tour with his number one Suhr Classic T that has a very special artwork burned into the body by his lovely girlfriend Anne-Marie. She really did an awesome job. I've seen the Roger Waters vids of Dave playing this axe from a distance and thought it was cool, but I had no idea that the artwork burned in with a soldering iron could be this good! Shocked Very cool! These pics were taken last month in Denver.

Dave advised me that the second one he received as a backup (the one with the black hardware) will be getting the blow torch treatment pretty soon. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Cass679

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!! That looks amazing! Cool
frankus

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not exaggerating when I say the notion of "burned into a Suhr" made me physically ill - stomach issues like you get on a rollercoaster.

This is no disrespect to the great artwork but .... eep Sad

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: