Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Gear on the Jazz/ Fusion DVD
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear on the Jazz/ Fusion DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Gear on the Jazz/ Fusion DVD Reply with quote

What is Guthie's gear on that DVD? Looks like a red 335? Old one?

I can't see his amp or his pedalboard.

What's that ring modulator effect? Question
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Gear on the Jazz/ Fusion DVD Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
What is Guthie's gear on that DVD? Looks like a red 335? Old one?

I can't see his amp or his pedalboard.

What's that ring modulator effect? Question

According to Guthrie, that's an early-70's Gibson ES-335. He had told me that it was his number one adored beauty back in January and that he uses that for the Fellowship stuff. But he's now using the Suhr for the Fellowship gigs as well. He told me that some patrons of the Bassment Club condemned him saying it was "blaspheme" to use the Suhr for the Fellowship material but that they soon came to accept the Suhr.

I'm sure the amp is a Cornford of some sort. I'd imagine it's a Hellcat. He really likes the entire range of Cornford amps and uses the 6w Harlequin quite a bit for recording. At the Asia sessions, he was using the MK50H 50w head.

I know he uses a T-Rex Replica for delay, but I don't know much about his other effects. Obviously, there is a Whammy on the floor. I'll have to ask what that ring modulator thing is. It was also apparent that he was using some vibe-like chorus unit. His lead sound was at times like Scofield's but more organic and not so wobbly. I really like some of the Leslie-like comping sounds that he was getting.

Guthrie's not a gear freak. He's the type who'll just plug into whatever is available and just straight into the amp without any effects. That clinic DVD is essentially straight into the amp although there was a Boomerang in line. He is very particular about guitars and amps and knows what he likes and doesn't like, but he doesn't seem to be the endlessly experimenting type like Eric Johnson. And he's not into MIDI.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
wrighty-boyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Guthries Effects Reply with quote

Hey guys, maybe i can shed some light on the subject for you.
Guthrie uses a Hughes&Kettner Rotosphere for the Leslie effects, a Boss Auto-Wah for some funky things with the Fellowship, an Original Wammy Pedal, a Mooger fooger effects unit for the atonal Brecker type sounds, a Morley volume pedal, Boss DD-5 delay (i think??). All this through a Cornford Hellcat nowadays me thinks. I think thats it?

I haven't seen him for a while so things could be different now. He used to teach me at the ACM in Guildford, so i had the chance to see him playing with the Fellowship, in Chelmsford quite regularly. Really nice guy, always willing to help you out. Not a bad musician too! Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie answered this question on the first Questions thread for those of you who missed it:

Guthrie wrote:
drezdin wrote:
I got a copy of the Fellowship show and it is amazing. it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun.

Oh, yes - I can solemnly assure you that the money the club pays us is less than motivating, so we might as well have a blast while we're there.
I've come to describe that gig as "Therapy Night"...
drezdin wrote:

anyway i was wondering what pedals you were using at your Fellowship shows.
Ed was wondering about the ring modulator too. Smile

Okay - it goes like this;

FRONT END:
* Digitech Whammy (preferred the Whammy 2, but it commited hara-kiri at an Asia gig, and I don't think they make them any more!)
* Moogerfooger ring mod (w/ expression pedal to control the frequency - robo-tastic!)
* Guyatone piece-of-sh*t WR2 envelope filter (cost next to nothing, takes up hardly any floorspace, sounds nearly as good as my unwieldy Q-Tron plus... just for the record, Stevie Salas converted me to those little pedals; they made him a signature version...)
* T-Rex Mudhoney (gnarly fuzz box)
* Dunlop wah (the one with the 5 EQ presets; don't particularly like any of them, tbh, and should probably investigate a Vox or a Colorsound, or something...any recommendations, anyone?)
* Morley volume pedal (If I wasn't such a lazy slacker, I'd replace that with an Ernie one, at some point - the curve feels more logical on those, from what I remember.)

IN THE LOOP:

H2O chorus/echo
T-Rex Replica

BEARING THE TERRIBLE BRUNT OF ALL THE ABOVE:

One Cornford Hurricane, master vol up full, gain about half-way.

I suppose I really should grow up and learn to cope without all the silly toys.
But they're too much fun, so they're staying Very Happy

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mucho THANKS to Ed Yoon! Can't wait to check this out! A pleasant surprise for a Monday morning to be sure!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie B. wrote:
Mucho THANKS to Ed Yoon! Can't wait to check this out! A pleasant surprise for a Monday morning to be sure!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

It's a pretty fun DVD. This is jazz as I would have always preferred to listen to. All the harmonic and rhythmic sophistication of jazz, but the raw energy of rock and the ferocity of modern shred! Twisted Evil
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

It's a pretty fun DVD. This is jazz as I would have always preferred to listen to. All the harmonic and rhythmic sophistication of jazz, but the raw energy of rock and the ferocity of modern shred! Twisted Evil

yeah, I think that's the best description I would give for the Fellowship Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: