Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie will tour with Stevie Vai & Joe Satriani!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie will tour with Stevie Vai & Joe Satriani!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonGa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Guthrie will tour with Stevie Vai & Joe Satriani! Reply with quote

Guthrie hasn't been asked to play on the next G3 tour but I'm sure the release of his debut album will cause a stir in the instrumental world.

It's obvious he has listened to many great guitar players and absorbed the coolest chops from a variety of styles.

(Att: Guthrie ***this doesn't mean you should stop exploring new chops. Have you listened to Carl Verheyen? Ah... maybe that's a stupid question. I'm sure you've listened to all the great 'cats'.)

Cheers from Canada!
DonGa
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I was wondering if you knew something that even Guthrie didn't know. Laughing Okay, so you made us look! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
DonGa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: It's Gonna Happen Reply with quote

Many great guitar players have been asked to join the tour and have declined do to a variety of reasons.

I hope Guthrie takes the opportunity when it arises.
I'm confident that his time will come. Wink

Last edited by DonGa on Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
DonGa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Joe's Gig Reply with quote

Actually, the G3 tour is put together by Satch so it will have to be his decision.
Matthieu Vargas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad it's not G4. Sad Satch, Vai, Govan, Thal. Smile hahaha.

I cannot wait for Govan's solo album. Ron gave me a little preview of the song they are workin' on. Simply amazing.
sparkymark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My G3 would be Guthrie Ron and Mattias. Can you imagine what an awesome show that would be. Ron mentioned that would be his ideal lineup too. I would fly to anywhere in the world to catch that one! I also think Greg Howe would be a good choice, the guy has an insane sense of groove (much like Guthrie), just been listening to extraction and its good stuff.

Mark
pawel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthieu Vargas wrote:

I cannot wait for Govan's solo album. Ron gave me a little preview of the song they are workin' on. Simply amazing.

According to the Vigier forum, Ron was indeed asked to join the tour, or at least Satch suggested that...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G3 would be great publicity for Guthrie, but I'm sure Satch and Vai would at least want to see how Guthrie's solo album does out in the mainstream. I'm really curious how Satch and Vai would take onto what Guthrie is doing. I don't want to get into an elitist kind of a thing here, but as far as I'm concerned, Guthrie simply does what they do a lot better and Guthrie can also do a whole lot more that I know they can't do. And let's be frank: there really is a competitive thing that happens with these shows and people will talk about who was better and who wiped out who and stuff like that.

I know Guthrie wouldn't go up there (or with anyone else for that matter) to cut heads or with any intention whatsoever to blow anyone else away, but he's just going to do what he does the best he can and the result will be rather obvious. All I know is that I bought the last G3 DVD because it was only $12 and I still regret buying it. I watched it once (with a lot of skipping around on the remote) and I'll likely never watch it again.

To me, the whole G3 thing has become a boring business institution with very little redeeming artistic value. It has become a traveling spectacle that has become worn and tired that is probably losing big chunks of fans (including me, for example) with every edition. I can understand why Jeff Beck turned down an invitation to do a tour with them. Don't get me wrong: Satch and Vai are great players and I have mucho respect for them, but they seem more concerned about retirement nest eggs at this point in their careers, which is totally understandable. Guthrie is part of a new generation. As is Ron Thal, Mattias IA Eklundh, Scott Jones, Joel Hoekstra, etc. The way I see it, it's simply time for the new generation to rise and take contemporary "progressive" or "fusion" rock guitar into a whole new direction.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Matthieu Vargas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pawel wrote:
Matthieu Vargas wrote:

According to the Vigier forum, Ron was indeed asked to join the tour, or at least Satch suggested that...

Wow. I have a feelin' he would. Very Happy
Javi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ed, the G3 is becoming a little bit boring, we need NG-G3: The new generation G3 and G-G (Guthrie Govan) is on the name itself, is it that curious?... Wink
DonGa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Don't Tell Anyone! Reply with quote

Hehehe....

Quote:
I don't want to get into an elitist kind of a thing here, but as far as I'm concerned, Guthrie simply does what they do a lot better and Guthrie can also do a whole lot more that I know they can't do.

The truth is ... Guthrie would make a mess of the 2 old farts!
(I didn't want to come out and say it so bluntly but I'm glad others feel the same.)

Although ...I have alot of respect for those dudes. They had their moment of fame and now it's time for somebody else to take over the throne.

Actually you would be surprised what Mr. Vai can 'pull-out' of his crusty shorts! His chops go far beyond what most people have heard. Have you ever listened to his live work with Chick Corea?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guthrie would be better off touring with the likes of Carl Verheyen, Allan Holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Steve Morse and Gregg Howe but unfortunately those guys aren't part of an international tour.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The G3 tour would expose his playing to the entire world!
Javi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: It's not a question who plays better Reply with quote

I heard Vai a lot and he is a superb guitarist indeed, a shocking guitarist when he started his solo career. But I heard many years of Vai and I will be carry on listening Vai in the future, but now we must show to the rest of the world (or at least in the guitar world) who is Guthrie Govan and What is able to do with the guitar. At the moment only a few thousands, I don't know exactly the magnitude of his fame, recognize his inherent talent. but Once this guy is listened by the rest of the guitar community with his new release album next year and watched with his new DVD release, he won't be able to reply our questions for much longer in this forum... I tell you mate! Wink
Matthieu Vargas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Don't Tell Anyone! Reply with quote

DonGa wrote:
Hehehe....

Quote:
I don't want to get into an elitist kind of a thing here, but as far as I'm concerned, Guthrie simply does what they do a lot better and Guthrie can also do a whole lot more that I know they can't do.

The truth is ... Guthrie would make a mess of the 2 old farts!
(I didn't want to come out and say it so bluntly but I'm glad others feel the same.)

Although ...I have alot of respect for those dudes. They had their moment of fame and now it's time for somebody else to take over the throne.

Actually you would be surprised what Mr. Vai can 'pull-out' of his crusty shorts! His chops go far beyond what most people have heard. Have you ever listened to his live work with Chick Corea?
Guthrie would be better off touring with the likes of Carl Verheyen, Allan Holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Steve Morse and Gregg Howe but unfortunately those guys aren't part of an international tour.

The G3 tour would expose his playing to the entire world!

I love Chick Corea! Smile
stratoskier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I've never posted in one of these "which guitarists rule" threads, but I've got to defend Satch and Mr Vai. You see, I'm an old guy too. So maybe I'm overly sensitive. Anyway, they were my first exposure to genuine virtuoso rock guitar and I'm still very dedicated to what they do. At the time they appeared on the scene (early to mid 80s) they stood alone way above all the other contemporary players. Well, there was Eddie, and, soon after, Yngvie, but as far as finely crafted instrumental rock guitar, these guys were the show. It was mind-blowing to think the guitar could do that stuff.

And, to my ears, they are still innovating with every CD release. Joe in particular is a real tunesmith. Some of his compositions are absolutely haunting. It's true that at this point in my development, if I were to pick a player I'd most like to emulate, it would be Guthrie. He's all over the map and he does it all with feel and grace. But Satriani has been with me a long time (before him, it was Jeff Beck) and I can't agree that he's only in it (i.e., the G3 thing) for the loot. I think all he genuninely cares about is making beautiful music and the rest of it (the cash and the adulation) comes along for the ride.

Ah well, I know that no one meant to disparage any of the other greats, but I do think in our enthusiasm for one player (in this case Guthrie) we should be careful to not tune out the other great masters.

Bert
Will

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javi - when you say Vai was a shocking guitarist when he started his solo career.. am i right in presuming you mean great? or do you mean crap?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: