Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brosa77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern Reply with quote

Now that's something to be excited about!

Normally i could care less about a sig model, but this looks like a really cool allround guitar.

I hope there will be pictures soon Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern Reply with quote

brosa77 wrote:
Now that's something to be excited about!

Normally i could care less about a sig model, but this looks like a really cool allround guitar.

I hope there will be pictures soon Very Happy

Yeah, I'm very excited too. It'd be my idea of an ultimate axe as well.

The thing is that it's a very practical guitar with useful features and sounds for the utmost in versatility. It's not quirky as some of the artist signature models tend to be, which limits broader appeal.

We should be starting production on the first several of this model soon. I'd imagine that they should be ready in late-December or early-January for the NAMM rollout.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
jordan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
A great reply......

Cheers Ed - excellent stuff - guitar sounds like a winner straight away.
It's interesting that the middle single coil can't be activated on it's own....

Keep up the good work,
Jordan.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:

It's interesting that the middle single coil can't be activated on it's own....

The middle single-coil sound seems to be the least used and is often more useful when combined with the split humbuckers (or neck and bridge single-coils). The outside coils of both humbuckers (or neck and bridge single-coils) combined gets that quasi-Tele tone with a lot of spank and shimmering highs. It seems Guthrie likes to use that sound for the country kinds of stuff.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
jordan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, understood - thanks again for the reply.

The more thought I give to it - the more the blower switch sounds like a great idea. Will it physically be a small toggle switch? And when you "un-blow", do you go back to the settings you had previously?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:
Sure, understood - thanks again for the reply.

The more thought I give to it - the more the blower switch sounds like a great idea. Will it physically be a small toggle switch? And when you "un-blow", do you go back to the settings you had previously?

Yes, it'll be a small toggle (not as big as the toggle on a Les Paul) but not a mini-toggle either. Yes, when you "un-blow," you'll go back to where you were before.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Zorshelter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will we be able to order one?

and do you have an idea of the price, thank you
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs fretlights and lasers but it's getting there Wink

I have the power!
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
It needs fretlights and lasers but it's getting there Wink

You mean a rotary switch which lights up 'the good notes' for each key? Count me in Wink
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no... fret markers lit up by fibre optics all notes are good some need to be hung around on more than others is all Smile

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorshelter wrote:
When will we be able to order one?

and do you have an idea of the price, thank you

We don't have the price yet. We're just starting the production of the first prototypes that will be shown at NAMM and that's when we'll start taking orders.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Zorshelter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, can't wait to see it in action
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, it should be noted that Guthrie has never actually spec'd out a guitar. I just send him suggestions with filled-out spec sheets and he just says, "That looks good." The only things he requested on this guitar that's out of the norm are the blower switch and the Tremel-No. He's not particular about the specs at all. He's the type who'll pick up a guitar off a wall and if he likes it he'll just keep playing it. He likes big necks and thin necks; he loves all the different woods; he likes different kinds of humbuckers and single-coils; he doesn't seem to care about the fingerboard radius as long as it's not the vintage 7.25" radius, etc. He just adapts to different kinds of guitars and pulls out the strong characteristics of each guitar for a particular sound or musical style.

I remember him at a Tone Merchants clinic back in '04 and, for one tune ('Ner-Ner'), he needed a hardtail guitar because it required drop-D tuning. I handed him a Japanese-made Sugi guitar that's somewhat Les Paul-esque and he said, "Hmmm, never heard of this brand, but okay. I should be able to make it work for this tune." There aren't many players, no matter how good, who'll just pick up a guitar he had never seen or played before and use it right away in a live performance. He even did the same with a Vigier fretless guitar during another gig. He just picked it up and said, "It might be fun to play this on a tune." And he just killed with the fretless and played really complex parts with perfect intonation all over the neck. He really is a freak of nature. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Skyth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

I actually got into GG a few weeks back. The thing I respect about him the most, is that he actually seems to love the guitar... not a certain style or something, just the instrument... Love the way he has studied many styles, took the best of it and incorporated it in his own playing... that respectful attitude is inspiring..

The reason why I find this guitar interesting, because GG, as a connaisseur and player of many styles, should bring out an interesting guitar Smile

What I actually wonder though, wouldn't the guitar sound to dark/midrangy with a mahogany body and neck?
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyth wrote:
What I actually wonder though, wouldn't the guitar sound to dark/midrangy with a mahogany body and neck?

that would be compensated by the pau ferro board and the maple top. the ssh+/ssv are pretty strong in the upper mids and highs as well.

note also that gg seems to dial in his amps without a lot of bass and with pretty strong upper midrange.

i guess ed can fill in ...

i know js and ed dislikes mahogany bodies coupled with maple necks, and although i do believe that combination can be very usable in a metal axe or for compressed distorted tones (i have a great hamer cailfornian that is just that, my goto metal tool), it's not too versatile imho. not very complex spectrum and pretty thin sounding for clean tones.

i'd love to spec out a mahogany axe for hi gain, with pau ferro board and no maple top. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: