Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern Reply with quote

Well, just talked with Guthrie and we've got the specs outlined now for the GG Sig Model to be introduced at NAMM.

Modern
Mahogany body, Flame Maple top
Mahogany neck, Pau Ferro fingergoard
Modern Elliptical neck shape - .800"-.850"
16" radius
Jumbo SS frets
510TS-FE1 - steel block, two-post, solid saddles, recessed
1.650" nut width
Chrome hardware
Sperzel locking tuners
No pickguard- rear-rout
Vol, Tone, 5-way (both HB's split in mid position),
push-push to split neck HB, blower switch for kicking in bridge HB
Side jack
Gold speed knobs
SSV neck humbucker - Zebra
FL single-coil - Black
SSH+ bridge humbucker - Zebra
Light Bengal Burst - natural back - scraped binding
Matching Figured Headstock
Tremol-No bridge-locking device
Mother of Pearl face and side dots and logo
Case
GG signature laser-engraved on back of headstock
.010-.046 gauge Rotosound strings

BTW, it won't have a reverse headstock. He says the normal h/s is just fine. Should be a killer axe! Twisted Evil Can't wait to see this one in Guthrie's hands...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:55 am; edited 2 times in total
jordan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit. Only last night I had started to form a reasonable idea of what my first Suhr order would be (next year). Now you've gone and done this....

Back to the drawing board it is.... Wink

Guitar sounds amazing on paper. Interesting that it comes with a Tremel-no. Are we to assume that GG has these fitted to all his non-floyd Suhrs?
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:
Dammit. Only last night I had started to form a reasonable idea of what my first Suhr order would be (next year). Now you've gone and done this....

Guitar sounds amazing on paper. Interesting that it comes with a Tremel-no. Are we to assume that GG has these fitted to all his non-floyd Suhrs?

I think the non-trem thing was inspire by the country playing he dabbled in with the Classic-T.

I sometimes imagine I might have got a classis T instead of the classic but I couldn't be happier... unless I had both the classic t and a classic.

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:

unless I had both the classic t and a classic.

Now that's something to shoot for! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:

This is going to be the most versatile guitar possible without a bunch of switches and stuff like that. There'll be sounds and qualities of the Les Paul/SG, Strat, Tele and a superstrat like the Ibanez Jem all rolled into one and also have the bridge-lock option with the Tremel-No, which will be really helpful for doing double-stop bends and things like that. Guthrie doesn't have the Tremel-No on his other Suhr guitars because it doesn't seem to fit properly with the old Fishman Standard bridge.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern Reply with quote

Alex Khan wrote:
Well, just talked with Guthrie and we've got the specs outlined now for the GG Sig Model to be introduced at NAMM.

Modern
Mahogany body, Flame Maple top
Mahogany neck, Pau Ferro fingergoard
Modern Elliptical neck shape - .780"-.830"
16" radius
Jumbo SS frets
510TS-FE1 - steel block, two-post, solid saddles, recessed
1.650" nut width
Chrome hardware
Sperzel locking tuners
No pickguard- rear-rout
Vol, Tone, 5-way (both HB's split in mid position),
push-pull to split neck HB, blower switch for kicking in bridge HB
Side jack
Gold speed knobs
SSV neck humbucker - Zebra
FL single-coil - Black
SSH+ bridge humbucker - Zebra
Light Bengal Burst - natural back - scraped binding
Matching Figured Headstock
Tremel-No
Mother of Pearl dots and logo
Case
GG signature laser-engraved on back of headstock
.010-.046 gauge strings

BTW, it won't have a reverse headstock. He says the normal h/s is just fine. Should be a killer axe! Twisted Evil

way cool!

i like that it has a case Wink Laughing

this is quite a different guitar, albaeit an amalgam of the ones he already has.

do you think the pau ferro board and the ssh+/ssv-pups will make it significantly snappier and brighter than his mahogany standard?

no reverse headstock on this one?

gottag et my hands on the elliptical thin neck! it sounds really thin by the figures, but noone has complained about that. does it really feel meatier than it's measurements suggests?

Zorshelter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you start taking orders for this one? (argh, I promised myself not to buy anymore guitars Rolling Eyes )
jordan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

This guitar sounds exciting. I have a few more questions, if you'd be so kind....

1. I noticed Guthrie has had the DSV/H pickups on his other standards til now. What's the thinking behind the move to the SSV/H?

2. Do you have an example of what "Light Bengal flame" looks like?

3. Could you explain the wiring a little more? What are the selections in each of the 5 positions? And what's a "blower" switch?

Thanks
Jordan.
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
frankus wrote:

unless I had both the classic t and a classic.

Now that's something to shoot for! Wink

Shocked must.... resist....

I have the power!
greenfingers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Shocked must.... resist....

Hang in there frankus, hang in there. we can get through this............................. Question Confused Sad Shocked Oh crap,...... must.. resist...
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a 'scrunchie' in the spec...that's a deal breaker.

Wink

Last edited by digitalkettle on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:
Ed,

This guitar sounds exciting. I have a few more questions, if you'd be so kind....

1. I noticed Guthrie has had the DSV/H pickups on his other standards til now. What's the thinking behind the move to the SSV/H?

3. Could you explain the wiring a little more? What are the selections in each of the 5 positions? And what's a "blower" switch?

Thanks
Jordan.

he's got the ssh+/v on his quilt backup and i think on his modern (if not aldrich's)

a "blower switch" bypasses the other switching and choses the full bridge pup.

alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

way cool!

i like that it has a case Wink Laughing

this is quite a different guitar, albaeit an amalgam of the ones he already has.

do you think the pau ferro board and the ssh+/ssv-pups will make it significantly snappier and brighter than his mahogany standard?

no reverse headstock on this one?

gottag et my hands on the elliptical thin neck! it sounds really thin by the figures, but noone has complained about that. does it really feel meatier than it's measurements suggests?

It'll be one extremely versatile guitar. Guthrie does want one guitar that can cover all of his stylistic bases and do so in a convincing manner. As you can see from the specs, it'll have sounds and characteristics of LP/SG/PRS, Strat, Tele, and a superstrat like an Ibanez Jem all rolled into one.

The Tremel-No will allow him to lock the floating bridge and get into the country Tele mode for doing double-stop licks and bends to his heart's content. It seems the Tremel-No device won't fit on the block of the old Fishman Standard Trem, so I don't think he's got it installed on his guitars with that bridge.

Guthrie likes the fast attack, tightness and punch of Pau Ferro fingerboard. It also feels fast and smooth like Ebony, so it' right up his alley. He's not very picky about pickups and the neck shape. If it sounds and feels good, that's all that matters to him. He had recently said that his favorite neck shape recently had been the '56 Big V on his T.

As for the pickups, the SSH+/SSV seems more complementary to the woods. Mahogany will provide plenty of warm mid-mids while the Maple top and the Pau Ferro will provide some brilliance and punchy high-mids, so these pickups are a good match in that they have a little more lows and highs than the (DSH+/DSV) double-screw counterparts. We just think the SSH+/SSV combo is the most versatile humbucker set and it seems Guthrie agrees.

I think Guthrie decided that having one reverse-headstock guitar, as well as one Floyd-equipped guitar, is good enough. He also said that he likes to do behind-the-nut stuff with the high strings for pedal-steel effects and that will obviously work better with the normal headstock.

The Elliptical .780-.830 shape doesn't feel as slim the numbers indicate. It feels at least as thick as the Even C Slim because it has a tad more shoulder to grab onto when doing bends. In comparison, the thin Jackson and Ibanez shapes are in the .710-.770 sort of range. The Elliptical is a great shape - built for speed but has just enough girth to make it comfortable for virtually everything else. Obviously, it's not for everyone, but I do think it's the ideal compromise between the thin shredder shapes and the thicker and more traditional C shapes.

Yeah, we were debating whether we should include a case or not but decided that it'd be a nice touch! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:
Ed,

Thanks
Jordan.

The DS/SS counterparts are identical except for the fact that the DS pickups have double row of screws and the SS pickups have one row of screws and one row of slugs, which is the traditional humbucker pickup. The DS slightly rolls off the lows and the highs, so it has more mids with sweeter highs. The SS has more low-end, a little more cut in the high-mids and is a bit bigger sounding.

Guthrie liked our normal Bengal Burst finish but we'll make the darker burst part lighter than normal and more subtle. The fade will be more gradual and be more reminiscent of something like Honey Burst although the color will be Bengal.

Here are the electronic settings:

5-way:

1 - Neck humbucker
2 - Outside coil of neck humbucker and middle single-coil
3 - Outside coils of both humbuckers
4 - Inside coil of bridge humbucker and middle single-coil
5 - Bridge humbucker

Push-pull tone pot for splitting neck humbucker (outside coil)

Blower switch - Engages the bridge humbucker full-on (volume and tone all the way up) no matter where you are on the 5-way and the volume and/or tone rolled down. This way, for instance, you can be on position 5 with the split-coil and the volume pot turned down for a semi-clean funky rhythm sound and then engage the blower switch to go right to the bridge humbucker without re-adjusting the other controls. Guthrie said that he often needs to go from clean to lead and back in blink of an eye at times and this blower switch would really help him make quick changes cleanly and accurately.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
greenfingers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
I don't see a 'scrunchie' in the spec...that's a deal breaker.

Wink

Yea +1.

I want to it come with the following 1. (hair band) 2. (pack of Rizla papers) 3. (bottle of Stella) 4. (Wig ) 5. (Stick on beard)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: