Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Myriad Techniques Guthrie Has Mastered
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Myriad Techniques Guthrie Has Mastered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie - Metal Maniac?!?!? Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I only saw Guthrie play metal briefly at the Hollywood studio when bassist John Payne, who is also the producer, was going through a bunch of these Line 6 Amp Farm presets on the computer while Guthrie was plugged in. John was just going through trying to adjust and EQ the levels on the board properly or something of that sort and this over-the-top metal distortion preset came about. Guthrie didn't seem to particularly care for the sound as he was noodling and working on some tasteful lead lines at that moment, but when that death metal sound popped up, Guthrie started playing these hyper-speed metal riffs that was just exhilrating to watch! Shocked Very Happy

i want to hear and see guthrie do METAL!!!!! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
icarusi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:

i'm sure there are others who could do shred with changes. i've heard a few of those names but haven't heard any of their stuff. i've seen others who have the shred chops try jazz, but they just don't sound right.

I thought Greg Howe was particularly good on that point, but Guthrie also has some Wayne Krantz-ish stuff too, as well as 'the rest'. The only thing I can't hear is something unique. So far I can only recognise him by a combination of versatility and excellence, but I haven't recognised any 'signature' lines or sounds, yet.
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Duncan M wrote:
Dude, next time you see him, ask him to play 'Popcorn' - you know the tune?

Well, he plays it with the edge of his pick, off the neck by tapping the strings over and between the pickups. One handed, perfect intonation........ quite worrying really.

No, which tune is that? Nothing Guthrie would do would surprise me now, even though I'm sure it'll blow my mind.

I think this is the one he means:
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/3796/popcorn.mid

I'd like to hear Guthrie's take on it. Wink
govango

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie is the best guitarist in the world, make no mistake.
Will

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhh that midi file reminds me of my old Atari St !!!
j.s.bark

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Myriad Techniques Guthrie Has Mastered Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
When you think about all the techniques Guthrie has mastered and applies so effortlessly on the guitar, you just wonder, "How is this possible???"

Alternate Picking - Easily in the class of the uber pickers like DiMeola, Yngwie, Gilbert, Ray Gomez, Petrucci, etc.

Left-Hand Legato - Certainly comparable to Holdsworth, Connors, Greg Howe, Kotzen, etc.

Tapping - Can do the pianistic thing (distorted or clean) to 8-fingered rolls a la Jeff Watson and TJ Helmrich to the "standard" EVH-based tapping thing that Satch and Vai also use often, etc.

Pick and Fingers - He seems to have picked this up from Brett Garsed and uses this technique when going across strings along with hammer-ons and pull-offs and sounds much smoother than sweeping.

Sweeping - Guthrie doesn't sweep much but when he does, he's as clean of a sweep picker as any I have ever seen or heard. He likes to use arpeggio sweeps for accents to begin or end a run than using it constantly a la Gambale.

Chicken-Picking - He can chicken-pick with the best of 'em. He may not be a Brent Mason or a Danny Gatton or an Albert Lee or a Steve Travato, but he'd be able to go up there with the likes of those country legends and hold his ground.

Funk Strumming - I had never seen anybody strum so fast on the money and in the pocket. He can strum like drummers do drum rolls on a snare!

Chord Melodies/Fingerpicking - He can do the Joe Pass kind of thing and do walking bass lines with melodies on top like he's been only working on that for all of his life. Oh yeah, and he's studied Tuck Andress as well.

Slide - Haven't seen him do much of this, but he loves great slide players like Sonny Landreth and Derek Trucks. He did the Mississippi Delta Blues slide thing with his fingers on a Vigier fretless during the clinic and I thought that was the highlight of the night!

Bends - Guthrie will do some extreme bends and pull strings off the fingerboard without having to resort to using a Floyd Rose. His intonation on the bends are always spot on.

Vibrato - A rather overlooked aspect of Guthrie's playing due to his mind-boggling command of so many other techniques, but Guthrie's soulful phrasing coupled with his tasteful vibrato are as strong of a point in his playing as anything else.

Anything else I forget???

This question is to all you guitarists out there.
Of all the techniques mentioned above and also others mentioned on this thread, which technique do you feel you could NOT be without.
I am aware that all of those techniques are vital to expressing yourself
but which technique could you not do without?
BluePowder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it would most definately be legato...I'm left handed by nature but I play right handed...my picking is not really as strong as my hammer on pull off technique
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't live without legato and hybrid picking
M@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, for me, bending is the quintessential guitar sound and therefore I could not imagine NOT having that as a technique... I think that bending is one of the things that drew me to guitar as an expressive instrument in the first place.

I had a choice of guitar lessons OR piano lessons when I was a kid. I chose guitar because it was so fun to bend strings... it was also easier to carry it around to mates' places for jamming, and let's not forget that on a "chick magnet" rating, the electric guitar definitely scores higher than a piano!!!

Just wish I had have learned more piano when I was younger, 'cause there is some awesome stuff to 1) learn from piano, and 2) use as a midi-interface for recording computer music...

I also like using pick and fingers al la Jerry Reed, Robben Ford etc... that adds a lot of expression to your sound.
j.s.bark

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It HAS to be VIBRATO for me because i dont think that i could live with myself if i couldn't round off a phrase without it.
VIBRATO for me!
blort22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me from a pure technical standpoint both Lane and Guthrie blow me away as a spectator.

I really like shawn lanes adaptation of the classical forms of Hindustani music and it would be cool to see what Guthrie would do with something like that
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blort22 wrote:
For me from a pure technical standpoint both Lane and Guthrie blow me away as a spectator.

I really like shawn lanes adaptation of the classical forms of Hindustani music and it would be cool to see what Guthrie would do with something like that

I've seen him do something like that on a Vigier Surfreter fretless guitar. I talked to him about it recently and he expressed interest in exploring that form of music. He told me that he's "dabbled" in it a bit - which means he's probably amazing doing something like that as well! Laughing He's so modest that it's just sickening. He would tell me that he's kinda messed around on some stuff and then he would play it and it's about as good as anything I've ever seen anybody do! Shocked Like on an acoustic, for example. You people need to see him burn on an acoustic - absolutely awe-inspiring...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
clovis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex,

Is there anyway to get some clips (audio/video) of Guthrie playing acoustic? Even if he's just in the Suhr shop for a few minutes, do you think you could get him to sit and burn on one for us to hear? Smile I'm a big fan of the Dimeola, McLaughlin, Paco group and I'm willing to be he sounds like all 3 of those guys rolled up into one.

Also, are there any clips of Guthrie playing solo chord melody guitar? I'd love to hear that too. The only stuff of Guthrie's that I've heard are the Clinic Dvds...some fellowship stuff and of course endless GT lessons and the Creative Guitar books.
Bode

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie - Metal Maniac?!?!? Reply with quote

j.s.bark wrote:
It HAS to be VIBRATO for me because i dont think that i could live with myself if i couldn't round off a phrase without it.
VIBRATO for me!

Yeah! Wanting to emulate Brian May's vibrato was one of the reasons that I picked up the guitar.

shredrulez wrote:

That would be ace!!! Twisted Evil

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
Bode

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie - Metal Maniac?!?!? Reply with quote

j.s.bark wrote:
VIBRATO for me!

Yeah! Wanting to emulate Brian May's vibrato was one of the reasons that I picked up the guitar.

shredrulez wrote:

That would be ace!!! Twisted Evil

(Banner Designed at Losfer Words Records)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: