Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - scales can use on those chords?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scales can use on those chords?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarjohnnie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: scales can use on those chords? Reply with quote

I am doing a song..and what kind scales you can use on those chords

Em, Cmaj(7), C#m-5 7, and what scale is this E,G,G#,B,C,C#?
(C#,E,G,B)

trying to make it sound jazz, fusion.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I'd see if I could avoid C and C# chords in the same key.. change the C# to Db and see if that helps:

Em Cmaj7 Dbm7b5 mmmm nope Very Happy

From my knowledge of major scales, I know that isn't one Very Happy the m7b5 chord has a major chord before it and a minor chord after it whereas for a major key (or any major mode) I'd expect the chords like this Cm7 Dbm7b5 Emaj7 - which you don't have - so it's probably covered by a melodic minor scale - it has 2 m7b5 chords.

Realisticly you can't use one scale over all of that because Em has a flat B and Cmaj7 a natural - you could try a C bebop scale playing b3rd and b7th as passing notes - but I dunno what it'd sound like, you'd have to ditch that by the 3rd chord as the C would sound odd against the Db - unless you wanted that.

But that doesn't matter. Play the changes is good enough.. try for instance: E minor blues scale over the Em, C major pentatonic over C major, D major pentatonic over Dbm7b5.

There is a lot of theory going on using those chords. Personally I stuck to diatonic chord progressions like Dm G7 Cmaj7 (ii V7 I) for a long time it's possibly the strongest sounding progression there is on the planet - bar none. With a really strong progression you learn how to bend it without losing sight of it. But you're writing a song so that's a different story Wink

The chord progression for your song contains 9 discrete notes with 5 semitones - consonant sound seems to avoid the semitone clash. I advocate playing to the chord changes (AKA playing the changes) this way you save yourself the headache of unwrapping each of those chords and trying to draw a line between the notes of each to make a solo.

The chords are pugly (in a cool way) let the pugliness of the chords speak by highlighting the pugliness - this kind of progression needs supporting and isn't (IMO) a launching pad for fearsomely out fusion licks.

I hope that helps and isn't waffle Wink

I have the power!
guitarjohnnie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx, that really helps !
and just let you know it's a james bond song i am trying to make it rock, and add some notes in it
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq_fL1gpRzQ
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii1tc493bZM
SeanStephensen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: scales can use on those chords? Reply with quote

guitarjohnnie wrote:
I am doing a song..and what kind scales you can use on those chords

Em, Cmaj(7), C#m-5 7, and what scale is this E,G,G#,B,C,C#?
(C#,E,G,B)

trying to make it sound jazz, fusion.

That scale is basically G Phrygian Dominant Sharp 4, without a 7th (it's only a 6 note scale :S)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
guitaral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a situation where we'd have to apply some chord scale theory. now, the motion of Em to Cmaj7 implies a G major tonality (or an E aeolian, depending on what you want to do). now this is a VERY basic approach to those two chords, but for now it will work for ya. the C# half dim. 7 is a *tad* different - you can use a number of different approaches to playing over that chord. the easiest approach would be to use the church mode that corresponds with it - locrian. now, the progression unfortunately doesn't resolve, so you need another chord in there somewhere. going back to the c# chord, you can also use the 8 note dominant scale, which is the same thing as a half-whole diminished scale. if you want a more in-depth write-up, just respond and i'll get to it when a bit more sober Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: