Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - GUTHRIE GOVAN SOUND SETTINGS ON MK50
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUTHRIE GOVAN SOUND SETTINGS ON MK50

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barzucci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: GUTHRIE GOVAN SOUND SETTINGS ON MK50 Reply with quote

ANYBODY KNOWS WHAT IS GUTHRIE GOVAN SOUND SETTINGSS ON MK50?
alexandru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what he used at a clinic in Italy in spring '08:
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie sure likes them mids! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
warson98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all that tone and at such a low volume... just further proof it's mostly in the fingers Very Happy
van hellion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

no doubt, i never played a cornford but i know on my diezel rigs the mids maxed out is not such a great tone. mids around the 1:30 range sound best on those. i would love to test drive a cornford at gig levels though.

A Wood
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van hellion wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

no doubt, i never played a cornford but i know on my diezel rigs the mids maxed out is not such a great tone. mids around the 1:30 range sound best on those. i would love to test drive a cornford at gig levels though.

A Wood

Hey Andy,

I think you'd dig the Cornford amps although they're quite different beasts from the Diezels. Cornfords are very "honest" amps in that what you put into it is what you get out of it. It doesn't have gobs of compression, low-mids or big lows that typically define "modern" amps. It doesn't make you sound faster than you really are or hide any slop in your technique. You miss a clean pick stroke or not hammer accurately with your left hand and the Cornfords will expose those things. In other words, Cornfords are for studs! Laughing

Well, Diezels, the Suhr amps and other boutique brand amps have that honest "hi-fi" character as well but they're all voiced differently with emphasis on different frequencies of the mids. Cornford amps tend to zero in on certain midrange frequencies that sit well in a dense mix. In other words, it doesn't try to compete with the bass or keyboards or hog the critical mids across a wide frequency spectrum. There are many amps that sound big and great alone, but don't really cut through the mix. Cornfords seem to be voiced to sit comfortably in the mix and cut through when necessary. They aren't the easiest amps to play, but I can see why they're so rewarding to players like Guthrie and other great players who know where their sound sits in the big scheme of a band sound.

Ultimately, it's about sounding like yourself. You can say that Suhr guitars have that quality as well. You're trying to project your character and individual style. You don't want to sound like everyone else who play with so much gain, compression and a lot of lows and/or low-mids. That's the easy way out but isn't as rewarding for all the hard work you put into your instrument. I'm quite convinced that's why Guthrie plays Suhr guitars through Cornford amps. The combination allows him to project his individuality and his original style through his hands. His tone is organic and woody. You hear the woods and how his hands are interacting with the instrument, not electronic circuitry.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
van hellion wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

A Wood

Hey Andy,

I think you'd dig the Cornford amps although they're quite different beasts from the Diezels. Cornfords are very "honest" amps in that what you put into it is what you get out of it. It doesn't have gobs of compression, low-mids or big lows that typically define "modern" amps. It doesn't make you sound faster than you really are or hide any slop in your technique. You miss a clean pick stroke or not hammer accurately with your left hand and the Cornfords will expose those things. In other words, Cornfords are for studs! Laughing

Well, Diezels, the Suhr amps and other boutique brand amps have that honest "hi-fi" character as well but they're all voiced differently with emphasis on different frequencies of the mids. Cornford amps tend to zero in on certain midrange frequencies that sit well in a dense mix. In other words, it doesn't try to compete with the bass or keyboards or hog the critical mids across a wide frequency spectrum. There are many amps that sound big and great alone, but don't really cut through the mix. Cornfords seem to be voiced to sit comfortably in the mix and cut through when necessary. They aren't the easiest amps to play, but I can see why they're so rewarding to players like Guthrie and other great players who know where their sound sits in the big scheme of a band sound.

Ultimately, it's about sounding like yourself. You can say that Suhr guitars have that quality as well. You're trying to project your character and individual style. You don't want to sound like everyone else who play with so much gain, compression and a lot of lows and/or low-mids. That's the easy way out but isn't as rewarding for all the hard work you put into your instrument. I'm quite convinced that's why Guthrie plays Suhr guitars through Cornford amps. The combination allows him to project his individuality and his original style through his hands. His tone is organic and woody. You hear the woods and how his hands are interacting with the instrument, not electronic circuitry.

+1

the cornfords i've played are tone monsters, but not at all forgiving (haven't tried the mk50 though ...).

i agree about the suhr instruments as well. i've never owned a guitar that is so easy to play, but at the same time demands so much of my technique, since it really puts out what's put into it. esepcially with a pau ferro board and ss frets, you need to keep your fingers in check! the best playaiblity around, but nothing to hide behind.

hey andy: after checking out your myspace, down from up, and the great yt showcase from namm this year, not only do i think you rock, i agree with ed that it would be interesting to hear you play with a sound that has more cutting mids and a little bit less compression. i think it would compliment your sick chops and finger picking. it's not like i'm giving u advice (you're the pro) ... you obviously have played a lot of styles and know how to get both sound and tone -- and the more modern sounds i've heard from you are probably not the only thing on your palette. keep inspiring us!

back to topic:

i guess that picture show a lot about what's going on with gg's sound: a lot of mids!

van hellion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool! thanks for the rundown! i actually spent about 2-3 hours with a hellcat and found it absolutely stunning. i would agree with everything here EXCEPT i found it really easy to play. it seemed to pick up every thing i was doing and it translated nicely from the guitar to the speakers. i dunno if i misunderstood you but it seemed the amp wasnt throwing me to the wolves and exposing as much flaw as it was coaxing different harmonics from the guitar as i used fingers versus pick to hybrid etc. it made the guitar feel more natural. dont get me wrong if i used that amp in my rock band Down From Up i dont think it would sound good, simply because of the genre of music. I do think those big lows and low mids and compressin really make the chunky chords sound massive. BUT i would love to have the hellcat for my instrumental stuff i am working on. i would really like to spend some time on the mk50 that is pictured here, other than guthrie im not familiar with this amp at all.

A Wood
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy,

Well, you've got flawless technique, so of course it's easy to play for you! Wink Laughing Hacks like me need lotsa gain and that makes me sound better than I really am. Embarassed I think you'd dig the MK50 or the MK50II quite a bit.

Cheers!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
van hellion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

last question, i promise! whats different about the mk50 and mk50II ?

A Wood
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van hellion wrote:
last question, i promise! whats different about the mk50 and mk50II ?

A Wood

I believe it's basically the same amp but MK50II has a completely independent clean channel with its own EQ.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van hellion wrote:
very cool! thanks for the rundown! i actually spent about 2-3 hours with a hellcat and found it absolutely stunning. i would agree with everything here EXCEPT i found it really easy to play. it seemed to pick up every thing i was doing and it translated nicely from the guitar to the speakers.

go figure! with your chops! Rolling Eyes Laughing

my mistake when i sat down with the hellcat for an hour or two was that i was using an esp metal axe (neck thru, super hi output pups etc) that i couldn't bond with for my life, and that it made me play more rock/shred stuff ... which ifor me takes a more forgiving amp to do well Wink

with a nice tele or strat, i'd probably would have bonded with it more.

i must say though that the cornford hurricane is one of the best tones i've ever played with.

so how are the diezels treating you? what do you like about them, that nothing else can give you?

i mostly play through an egnater mod 50 w/ variuous modules, and i've recorded a lot with engl's and rectifiers, but the diezels i have yet to try. since i recently got a metal gig, i'm interested in modern high gainers again (usually, i just listen to wayne krantz and sonic youth ...)

van hellion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
van hellion wrote:
very cool! thanks for the rundown! i actually spent about 2-3 hours with a hellcat and found it absolutely stunning. i would agree with everything here EXCEPT i found it really easy to play. it seemed to pick up every thing i was doing and it translated nicely from the guitar to the speakers.

go figure! with your chops! Rolling Eyes Laughing

my mistake when i sat down with the hellcat for an hour or two was that i was using an esp metal axe (neck thru, super hi output pups etc) that i couldn't bond with for my life, and that it made me play more rock/shred stuff ... which ifor me takes a more forgiving amp to do well Wink

with a nice tele or strat, i'd probably would have bonded with it more.

i must say though that the cornford hurricane is one of the best tones i've ever played with.

so how are the diezels treating you? what do you like about them, that nothing else can give you?

i mostly play through an egnater mod 50 w/ variuous modules, and i've recorded a lot with engl's and rectifiers, but the diezels i have yet to try. since i recently got a metal gig, i'm interested in modern high gainers again (usually, i just listen to wayne krantz and sonic youth ...)

i ejoy the diezels multiple channels. it works well in my rock gig. dont get me wrong, i use them for lots of things, but the channel switching, midi, is what sold me. imo the best channel on herbert is channel 2, GREAT! im interested in lots of amps and have a few that i really enjoy. i will say i had a great time in the suhr booth on that hedgehog. i have a lust for a low wattage amp here reently. i like the diezel schmidt, cornford hellcat, and the suhr low wattage guys badger and hedghog. all fun to play on!

A Wood
barzucci

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: