Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Pics of Guthrie at GIT Clinic
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pics of Guthrie at GIT Clinic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Pics of Guthrie at GIT Clinic Reply with quote

We did a Suhr-sponsored clinic at GIT on Jan 22 featuring Guthrie and Peter Thorn (Jewel, Chris Cornell). This was the public performance debut of the new GG Signature Modern model and, boy, did he sound great! Here are the pics. Enjoy!

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#100981
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
van hellion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so cool! wish i could have witnessed that. i will say this with confidence too, Pete Thorn is about as underrated as it gets.. that guy always has great tone, timing, taste. i mean he rocks and deserves much more recognition as a player in his own right.

A Wood
warson98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... awesome pictures. after watching the pete thorn badger videos, I could listen to that guy for hours. did they jam? would love to hear that.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warson98 wrote:
wow... awesome pictures. after watching the pete thorn badger videos, I could listen to that guy for hours. did they jam? would love to hear that.

Yeah, Peter's a great all-around player. He's the consummate professional who's working constantly. It would have been great if Guthrie and Peter could have done an impromptu jam but we had time constraints and just couldn't fit it in. Maybe next time...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
jimmypage1stfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there! He played three songs, Waves, Sevens, and Erotic Cakes.

He used a Cornford Hell cat with absolutely NO effects, AMAZING. all he had was the Boomerang and the korg (i believe) tuner. He settings were all at noon with the exception of bass at 3 o clock.

He played those songs and also showed us his new Suhr which is all mahogany with a pau ferro fretboard! He explained its cool new functions (tremel-no, and a button that completely bypasses the volume tone and pickup selecter which makes the bridge pickup active and on full volume!). then he demoed some of the other suhrs on stage and played to show the tonality of the different woods.

now for the best part!

he signed my fives transcriptions! under where i put "transcribed by - Hayden Maringer", he put "...and subsequently signed by.. Guthrie".i was SO nervous (like shaking). He also signed a copy of Erotic cakes (i just bought another cause i left mine at home in Sacramento). He is a very nice guy and actually took the time to look through all the pages of my transcription in depth! (even though he was hounded by MI students wanting autographs). i dont attend MI and am still in high school, but got VIP passes because MI really wants me to go there. I personally thought Berklee was more adequate than MI. MI was very small, everyone smoked, and theres not alot of musicians, just a lot of "guitarists". My personal belief is that people that know how to play are guitarists, and the people who understand the theory of what there playing are musicians. So MI is definitely not for me. You think it would be amazing with greg howe, scott henderson, etc. going there.. also the councilor there said out of 2500 students only 80 are in the Bachelors degree program?! that tells me something!

I got a lot of pictures (of him signing my transcriptions, the stage, the guthrie model suhr, and of me and him), and also my dad videoed the entire thing including where he explains the functions of the his new suhr. its a long video and am not sure if guthrie would want me to upload it (if i got the OK i would), so i think i wont. But i will upload the pics!

Other than that, i played my first Suhr guitar, And i was amazed! it plays SO SO SO much better than my 1958 CS gibson les paul. Now if only i can get 3k for a suhr! Every guitar i play now feels like crap in comparison. Thanks A Lot SUHR!
jimmypage1stfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh also, No they did not Jam at all. Basically Guthrie opened the clinic and just played, he said "Ill leave the talking to them, and just do the playing". So he played three songs and in between a guy from Suhr (i forgot his dang name) would describe suhr guitars. Then guthrie demoed the different woods in each suhr guitar to show us the tonal structures of each one. And finally Pete Thorn just showed us the amp (didnt do much playing, just a few blues licks), and that was it.. The lady that runs the guitar department said that guthrie was going to do a questions and answers, but he didnt want to talk he wanted to play haha. she also said that they would jam at the end, but they didnt do that either haha.
Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
warson98 wrote:

Yeah, Peter's a great all-around player. He's the consummate professional who's working constantly. It would have been great if Guthrie and Peter could have done an impromptu jam but we had time constraints and just couldn't fit it in. Maybe next time...

Hey Ed,, how cool is Peter,, such a great guy,, the whole Suhr show was great,, well done bro ,,
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr C. wrote:

Hey Ed,, how cool is Peter,, such a great guy,, the whole Suhr show was great,, well done bro ,,

Hey, Paul, good to see you here. How's it going? Hope all is well. It was good hanging out with you, Guthrie and Monica that day. Had a lot of fun.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmypage1stfan wrote:
Oh also, No they did not Jam at all. Basically Guthrie opened the clinic and just played, he said "Ill leave the talking to them, and just do the playing". So he played three songs and in between a guy from Suhr (i forgot his dang name) would describe suhr guitars. Then guthrie demoed the different woods in each suhr guitar to show us the tonal structures of each one. And finally Pete Thorn just showed us the amp (didnt do much playing, just a few blues licks), and that was it.. The lady that runs the guitar department said that guthrie was going to do a questions and answers, but he didnt want to talk he wanted to play haha. she also said that they would jam at the end, but they didnt do that either haha.

Hey, I'm the "guy from Suhr." Wink Actually, Guthrie did do a good amount of talking describing the guitars and he did a great job. He's very familiar with our guitars now as he's got seven of 'em (one which I'm holding for him here in CA) in his arsenal.

We just didn't have enough time to fit everything in within the 90-minutes allotted for the clinic. I think we could have spent 90 minutes with the guitars alone and Guthrie could have played a few more tunes. Maybe next time...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
jimmypage1stfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
jimmypage1stfan wrote:

Hey, I'm the "guy from Suhr." Wink Actually, Guthrie did do a good amount of talking describing the guitars and he did a great job. He's very familiar with our guitars now as he's got seven of 'em (one which I'm holding for him here in CA) in his arsenal.

We just didn't have enough time to fit everything in within the 90-minutes allotted for the clinic. I think we could have spent 90 minutes with the guitars alone and Guthrie could have played a few more tunes. Maybe next time...

It was an amazing day! are you kidding! if i had the money i would buy that new guthrie suhr right now! I didnt realize that was you Ed. your account name threw me off. haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: