Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Trying Out A New Pick
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Trying Out A New Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doctordragon wrote:
These picks seem interesting...has anybody here tried the Wegens? If so which are the differences between Wegens and Redbears? How do they compare?

I've tried the Wegens and the V-Picks. Tried the $35 Blue Chip picks as well. They're all nice in different ways. It's hard to describe the differences between picks. The Wegens have a very solid feel with a big dispersed tone while the Red Bears are smoother with a crisper attack and a more focused tone. This is assuming we're comparing very similar size and gauge picks from different manufacturers.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
jclarkson

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

What gauge did you get for the Lil' Jazzer? Yes, they do glide over the strings real smooth but you still get a nice snappy attack out of the Red Bears.

I went for the light gauge, I did mean to say that while it feels really smooth you don't lose any of the attack.
doctordragon

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

I've tried the Wegens and the V-Picks. Tried the $35 Blue Chip picks as well. They're all nice in different ways. It's hard to describe the differences between picks. The Wegens have a very solid feel with a big dispersed tone while the Red Bears are smoother with a crisper attack and a more focused tone. This is assuming we're comparing very similar size and gauge picks from different manufacturers.

Thank you Ed. I'll try the RedBears, but I have to decide which shape is best for me...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jclarkson wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

What gauge did you get for the Lil' Jazzer? Yes, they do glide over the strings real smooth but you still get a nice snappy attack out of the Red Bears.

I went for the light gauge, I did mean to say that while it feels really smooth you don't lose any of the attack.

I think that's the most unique characteristic of the Red Bear picks. They're slick and smooth but also have a nice quick attack and bounciness. Normally, those characteristics would be considered mutually exclusive. You normally had to settle for one or the other. With the Red Bears, you get both with a nice balance between the two.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was chatting with guthrie about these picks, he let me have a toy with them, very nice but in guthries words

"i dont know if theyre $20 nice"

the speed bevels are pretty cool

i decided against buying any as we all lose picks, but losing one of them is gona ruin your day!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
was chatting with guthrie about these picks, he let me have a toy with them, very nice but in guthries words

"i dont know if theyre $20 nice"

the speed bevels are pretty cool

i decided against buying any as we all lose picks, but losing one of them is gona ruin your day!

Fortunately for Guthrie, he won't have to worry about losing 'em. Laughing

I'm not the type who loses picks. I've got picks left over from the 80's and I've thrown away picks I don't use anymore, but I don't ever recall losing a favorite pick. It really depends how important a pick is to each player.

I'm really loving the black Jazz III XL's after doing some filing work on 'em. These are now my "throwaway" picks. I still have a bunch of the Ultex picks I had been using for the last 5~6 years but I'm quite certain I won't be using those again. The Red Bear Jazzers and the Jazz XL's pretty much cover it all for me.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a great forum to learn some things...I saw this thread some months ago hesitating knowing that the Lil' Jazzer would be too small like the Jazz IIIs but just now as I see that Red Bear starts making the Big Jazzer, I'm compelled to order a few Smile A year ago the Dunlop Jazz III XL black picks changed my life and took my picking skills to the next level...a rut I was in using the standard Fender Xtra Hvys. Never could I imagine the effect a pick has on one's playing (!) Maybe the Big Jazzer in Heavy with NO bevel would suit (?) I love the stiffness to thickness ratio the Jazz III XLs have..
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riffermann wrote:
what a great forum to learn some things...I saw this thread some months ago hesitating knowing that the Lil' Jazzer would be too small like the Jazz IIIs but just now as I see that Red Bear starts making the Big Jazzer, I'm compelled to order a few Smile A year ago the Dunlop Jazz III XL black picks changed my life and took my picking skills to the next level...a rut I was in using the standard Fender Xtra Hvys. Never could I imagine the effect a pick has on one's playing (!) Maybe the Big Jazzer in Heavy with NO bevel would suit (?) I love the stiffness to thickness ratio the Jazz III XLs have..

No need to discard the black Jazz III XL's. They're indeed great picks, but the Red Bears do have something a little extra. Now it's debatable on whether that little extra is worth $20, but it's ultimately up to the beholder anyway. It's all subjective. I love the Big Jazzer. It has a great stiffness to thickness ratio, is smooth as glass and super fast while still having a nice bouncy tactile response. Yeah, I'd say go for the Big Jazzer in Heavy with no speed bevel. It already has the normal bevel and I think it's plenty good enough.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oof

Last edited by Riffermann on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Riffermann

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea...

Last edited by Riffermann on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Bobert

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenfingers wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
I'm curious as I've never tried a real tortoise shell pick and this one is supposed to be indistinguishable according to long-time tortoise-shell pick users.

I think I'll have to got to my Grandmothers house and dig up the dead tortoise she has in the garden, I could get about 50 picks out of it if I'm lucky,........that's $1000 Shocked

Shocked
"gives the family turtle an evil stare"
Twisted Evil
preschool

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: hoho Reply with quote

Bobert wrote:
greenfingers wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
I'm curious as I've never tried a real tortoise shell pick and this one is supposed to be indistinguishable according to long-time tortoise-shell pick users.

I think I'll have to got to my Grandmothers house and dig up the dead tortoise she has in the garden, I could get about 50 picks out of it if I'm lucky,........that's $1000 Shocked

Shocked
"gives the family turtle an evil stare"
Twisted Evil

now where to get me a turtle >Smile
dai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it!
Thanks Ed.

alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dai wrote:
I bought it!
Thanks Ed.

Are those the TuffTones or the regular Red Bears in a different color? Looks nice.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
dai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are those the TuffTones or the regular Red Bears in a different color? Looks nice.

Yes, TuffTone type.
I will pick one in these picks, afterwards will buy regular series.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: