Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Current 2009 Rig?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Current 2009 Rig?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
return2forever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's Current 2009 Rig? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm return2forever. I know that this question has already been asked (probably on more than one occasion) but the only post I could find for it was his rig in 2008, and being the amazing guitarist he is, I'm sure Guthrie's setup has changed since then. So I was wondering if anyone knew like what type of Conford he uses, pedals, pickups, etc. I'm sorry, I know it's a lot to ask, but lately the band I'm in has started playing in more places, so I need a bigger setup, but I'm kind of a novice when it comes to getting a good tone, and, as we all know Guthrie's is probably the most orgasmic out there. So if anyone could please give me this information, that would be extremely appreciated.

return2forever
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie's rig setup varies depending on the live show situation and what type of gig he's playing. Most of the time, he's quite content plugging his new Suhr GG Signature Model (Modern) straight into a Cornford with no effects at all. When he does clinics abroad, he really can't travel around with more than his Suhr axe, the Boomerang looper, the Peterson Strobo Stomp tuner and, perhaps, the T-Rex Replica digital delay. Fortunately, he can usually borrow or rent a Cornford of some sort wherever he goes.

Guthrie's very familiar with all the Cornford amps and loves 'em all, but if he had to choose one to cover his EC gig, it'd be the MK50 II for maximum versatility and punchy power. For a while, the Hellcat was his main amp and he loves that too. For the Bassment gigs, he now seems to be favoring the new Roadhouse 30 head through an oversized Cornford 1x12 cab. He had been mainly using the Hurricane 20w combo for those gigs.

Guthrie has a pretty big collection of pedals and he'll assemble a pedalboard with certain pedals depending on the gig and whatever mood he's in to use on a given day. I certainly provided him with a bunch during my days at Tone Merchants, but he has acquired a lot on his own from different manufacturers. I think his favorite overdrive pedal at the moment is the Hermida Zen Overdrive. Here's a list of what I know he has in his collection. I'm sure he has more.

Barber Direct Drive SS
Analog Man TS-9 Silver Mod
Analog Man Sun Face NKT-275 Fuzz
Menatone Kar Krash

Maxon Overdrive Pro
Xotic RC Booster (clean boost)
Xotic AC Booster (overdrive)

Silver Machine MKII Revolution Wah
RMC Picture Wah
Guyatone WR-3 Auto-Wah
Menatone JAC Compressor (mainly for slide work)

Analog Man Clone Chorus
T-Rex Replica Digital Delay
Eventide Time Factor Digital Delay

MoogerFooger Ring Modulator (for the wacky sounds)
Pigtronix Phaser
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Peterson StroboStomp

These are the only pedals I can recall from the top of my head. I'm sure there're more.

For his Young Punx gigs, Guthrie just totes along his Suhr Classic (the Ocean Turquoise one) with the V60LP single-coil pickups and the SSC System installed and his Apple MacBook Pro running Native Instruments' GR3 modeling software program. Modelers are normally pretty good for spanking clean sounds and heavy distortion sounds and that's what this gig requires. For his EC or Fellowship gigs, he much prefers the all-tube Cornford amps over any modeler. If he really had his way, he wouldn't use modelers live at all.

You can read about the pickups in his Suhr guitars on the Suhr site. His GG Signature Model has the SSH+ humbucker in the bridge, the FL single-coil in the middle, and the SSV humbucker in the neck. The SSH+ is fairly hot (around 17K DC resistance and comparable to the Duncan JB in output) but very clear in the mids with a strong yet tight bottom and cutting high-mids. The FL is like a really nice 60's vintage single-coil while the SSV is like a very clear and sweet vintage PAF.

All this being said, Guthrie's tone is really in his hands. He appreciates fine gear like anyone else and he seeks a nice balance between clarity and warmth, juiciness and tightness, sensitivity and punch, etc., but he'll pretty much sound like himself no matter what he plays through. As John Suhr said, "Practice cures most tone issues." Wink Still, good gear can only help you play better and focus on what you need to focus on: playing and sounding good and making some music!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
MAXtheGuitarlover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you, Ed for taking the time to tell us more about Guthrie's current rig! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: