Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Ibanez RG
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Ibanez RG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's Ibanez RG Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG_s3JCk5Ms

As I understand, this guitar was owned (and played) by Guthrie in his teen years? I'd really like to know what model this Ibanez guitar is, and the specifications on it (wood, bridge, neck style as I don't know which generation of Ibanez this guitar is from, and pickups).

It reminds me of an Ibanez RG 550, but I've never witnessed a model with that pickup configuration, the rosewood fretboard with the dots (as opposed to smaller dots or shark inlays), and that color with the other options already said. Hopefully some of you guys can help identify it. I'm just more interested what Guthrie played with during those "shreddy" teen years!!! Twisted Evil
rads

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe it is RG560, maybe Lipstic Red colour...
basswood body, maple neck and rosewood fingerboard.
Looks like it is using block joint neck instead of AANJ, this mean the standard pickup will be V2 bridge, S1 mid and S1 neck..
great guitar, but i prefer RG550 or RGR565...
or even better, you should try RG760..
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! It is indeed the RG560. Too bad all those models you named are discontinued. Ebay time!
chelmsford123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not the guitar Guthrie owned in the shred years. That was a black 1988 RG 550. He also had a Jem 77FP but for some reason that I never fully understood he kept it mainly in a case under his bed. The RG 550 was retired when the PRS came along.
BIOS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty funny coincidence actually. I used to play an ibanez rg 550 in black which i still own and now play a Jem. I was thinking of getting a Vigier or a SUHR classic next.
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the clarifcation!
DLM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelmsford123 wrote:
He also had a Jem 77FP but for some reason that I never fully understood he kept it mainly in a case under his bed.

In the interview he gave to Guitarist magazine on winning the Guitarist of the Year competition, he said he'd had a Jem but had worried about its image because he thought people would assume he had some sort of Steve Vai problem. Presumably, he didn't want to be seen as a clone.

I too play a black RG550, mainly because I got it cheap second hand and I've not found anything better that I thought was really worth the money. Not for want of looking, either.

*DLM basks in a miniscule amount of glory via instrument association* Very Happy
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that logic kinda works and kinda doesnt, i had a couple of PGMs and people thought i was a paul gilbert clone... i then had 2 RG550xxs.... again...people thought i was paul...

then when i got my fiesta red strat i looked like hank marvin

i cant win

so now i play my GG suhr.....thats an ascociation im proud of Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: