Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Talvin Singh
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Talvin Singh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:30 am    Post subject: Talvin Singh Reply with quote

Been really getting into "O.K." by Talvin Singh lately. What a glorious fusion and meeting of the East and West. The music is at once exotic, modern, classical, primal, techno cutting-edge, emotional, ice cerebral, passionate, hypnotic, lyrical and outright compelling, especially from a rhythmic point of view.

Talvin's music is a fusion of Indian classical music featuring instruments like Tabla, Sarangi, Shenai and ultra-modern techno (more in the Drum 'N' Bass vein) using synthesizers, computers, guitars, bass, etc. Many artists fuse disparate styles, but few can really pull it off and create a greater whole. Talvin does it with incredible finesse, virtuosity and vision. At times it's like Zakir Hussain and Indian gypsy music (like from the stunning Latcho Drom video) that at once dances gingerly and passionately with the likes of Squarepusher and Autechre. Here is another review:

http://www.inkblotmagazine.com/rev-archive/Talvin_Singh_OK.htm

Talvin Singh is considered at the forefront of the Asian Underground movement of fusing Asian and World classical music influences with the London electronica/techno scene. I had heard about this movement from a while back when I was going through an alternating electronica phase, but felt the mix wouldn't be to my taste. Well, was I wrong! Shocked This just may be my favorite form of techno of them all (and there are quite a few subgenres in this field).

I read on one of the threads here that Guthrie was really excited about jamming with Talvin and, obviously, that stoked my interest really fast. Now I can understand why. Watching Guthrie do something with Talvin would be a truly mind-altering affair. One of the things I look forward to the most in the future is Guthrie doing a guitar-oriented techno album (whether alone or in collaboration) that really goes somewhere as a new whole. The stuff that Jeff Beck did with the last 3 albums had their great moments, but there are equally as many frustrating moments that leave you scratching your head. Buckethead and Satch's attempts are also mixed at best.

I know that Shawn Lane really wanted to do a techno album, too, but sadly he died before he could get to it. When you think about it, techno (and hip-hop to a large degree) is the music that most defines the state of contemporary urban culture all over the world. But instead of dull beat-box-induced droning beats, some cutting-edge artists like Talvin Singh are pushing the envelope by incorporating beautifully complex rhythms of India with the hynotic of urban rhythms of modern techno. Mix in some burning guitar that somehow fits with this music and it'd be absolute contemporary musical nirvana!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love electronic trip-hop type of music, like Portishead. It would be cool if Guthrie did some thing in that vein because I think that kind of music screams for a guitar part.

I never really got into Indian classical music and I wasn't a big fan of Shawn Lane's exploration into Indian music either, but I'll check Talvin out.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I love electronic trip-hop type of music, like Portishead. It would be cool if Guthrie did some thing in that vein because I think that kind of music screams for a guitar part.

I never really got into Indian classical music and I wasn't a big fan of Shawn Lane's exploration into Indian music either, but I'll check Talvin out.

I think you'll definitely like Talvin a lot if you're already open to electronica and trip-hop type of music. I read somewhere that Talvin also worked with Massive Attack. Most of what Talvin is doing is not in the vein of trip-hop like Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Kruder Dorfmeister, etc., but if you dig trip-hop, I think you could dig Talvin as well. The rhythm is a lot more involving and complex but it's still very trance-like.

This is the most interesting way of absorbing bits and pieces of Indian classical music that I've heard so far. Believe me, I tried to get into it, too, in the past: from Shakti to Lane's explorations with Hellborg, and I could only take very little of it myself, but this is another thing altogether. For one, Talvin is an Indian trained in classical tabla playing, but at the same time, he has a genuine love for the Western forms of pop, rock, and electronica. To my sensibilities, the Indian classical music aspect of it is a lot more convincing than some Western musicians' stab at it.

I tell you, this is the coolest music I've experienced yet for the late-night-driving-on-the-LA-freeways situation: amazing soundtrack for driving at 80 mph through the city lights and underneath the stars above... Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have to pick this one up Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I might have to pick this one up Smile

I really think you would like it a lot. There's a track or two of Indian female gypsy singing that I can't say that I'm all that fond of, but even that grows on you. The rhythms and the textures are amazing and are the foundation, but there is great instrumentation and chock full of good melodies as well.

I mentioned to Guthrie that a trio of him, Talvin and Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher) would be the New Millennium Trio! Shocked Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Trigger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all this is a first post. Good to be here. This thread has mentioned Squarepusher who is IMO an AMAZING bassist. Both GG and Squarepusher being from Chelmsford begs the question; Have they played together? Do they? Will they? I can only imagine the possiblities. What sayest thee Sirs?
chelmsford123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie and Squarepusher used to jam all the time at high school. Every lunchtime / break there would be a group of musicians who gathered together to discuss the latest Shrapnel release, the latest edition of Kerrang or Guitar World or to play someone's new guitar/bass/amp/pedal. There was always someone jamming with someone else and usually Guthrie, Tom and/or Seth were around. Of course this was at the time when Guthrie was big into Cacophony and Tom was in his Heavy Metal band...

Wish you could have been there !
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelmsford123 wrote:
Guthrie and Squarepusher used to jam all the time at high school. Every lunchtime / break there would be a group of musicians who gathered together to discuss the latest Shrapnel release, the latest edition of Kerrang or Guitar World or to play someone's new guitar/bass/amp/pedal. There was always someone jamming with someone else and usually Guthrie, Tom and/or Seth were around. Of course this was at the time when Guthrie was big into Cacophony and Tom was in his Heavy Metal band...

Wish you could have been there !

Yeah, I wish I could something like that. Guthrie mentioned that Tom bought an old Jazz Bass copy from him way back when in one of the Questions threads here. I'd really love to see Guthrie do something in the modern techno vein with guys like these. I know he said that he hasn't heard the ideal synthesis of the electric guitar and techno yet and I have to agree despite some fine efforts of players like Jeff Beck, Buckethead and Satch.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: