Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - marriage of pickups
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

marriage of pickups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: marriage of pickups Reply with quote

After seeing Steffen Schackinger play his Suhr loaded with the DSH+ in the bridge, I'm pretty much left swooning over the tone he's getting. I recently replaced the neck pickup with the SSV and can't see parting with its 3D chewy-ness but would putting a DSH+ in the bridge opposite the SSV necessarily be a big mismatch in tone? Aggressive feedback appreciated Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the "SS" (single row of screws) and the "DS" (double row of screws) pickups isn't much although it's noticeable. Everything else is the same - the magnets, the bobbins, the wires, the number of wire turns, etc. The SS pickups sound bigger, have more low-end, and more cutting high-mids. The DS pickups sound a little smoother in the highs, have more mids, and have less lows. The DSH+ bridge pickup will match up just fine with the SSV in the neck.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Riffermann

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the description, Ed because I think this pickup will take me where I want to be with my tone. This Wednesday I'll be ordering the DSH+....can't wait
Riffermann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been able to experiment with the DSH+ / SSV combo for a while now and I've gotta say it makes for a cool pairing. What instantly comes to mind is that interview in which Scott Henderson thrives on the mystery as to which pickup he's actually using (by controlling the volume and tone pots). The change between these pickups has that same subtle change in feel. I really like how usable the DSH+ is on a clean channel setting. Not tinny or brash like most 'high gain' pickups'd be. You instead get a nice round, warm and strong fundamental note/tone. I did have the Aldrich bridge for a few years but I'm diggin' the rounded highs and 'easier' / less stiff / more fluid pick attack while still retaining all that infamous Suhr clarity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: