Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Possible Future US Clinic Tour Destinations
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Future US Clinic Tour Destinations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Possible Future US Clinic Tour Destinations Reply with quote

Based on the extremely successful clinic tour of the US/Canada northeast that we just completed, I'm already thinking about hitting other cities and areas that we didn't cover this time around. The next tour probably won't happen until late-spring of next year (and we may plan two per year), but I'm already getting requests from dealers and Guthrie fans in various cities in the southeast, midwest and the west coast to have Guthrie visit them for clinics, shows, master classes, etc.

So, I'd like to get this going at the grass roots level on this forum and ask you to contact a Suhr dealer in your area and tell them: "We want to see Guthrie!" We will see if we can even visit cities that do not currently have Suhr dealers if they're in between the cities we do plan to visit. I'll start out with the southeast and the midwest as a possible tour route.

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, FL - Music Arts Enterprises
Tampa/Sarasota, FL - Jerry's Lefty Guitars
Tallahassee, FL - Andy's Guitars
Atlanta, GA - Boutique Guitar Exchange
Knoxville, TN - Rik's Guitars
Nashville, TN
Memphis, TN - Martin Guitars
St. Louis, MO - Eddie's Guitars
Kansas City, MO - Funky Munky Music
Dallas/Ft. Worth - Charley's Guitars
Longmont/Denver, CO - Guitars Etc.

We need you Guthrie fans to start a "campaign" of sorts to round up other Guthrie fans in your city/area and create the demand so that a tour through the southeast and the midwest is worth the time and effort for all parties involved. At this point in time, a crowd of 100~150 would be considered a success at any clinic/show event.

As for the Pacific coast, Southern Cal has several venues that Guthrie could play at virtually any time. The Bay area is another story, though, and we'd like to change that. There's got to be a sizable Guthrie contingent up there but we don't seem to hear from them. As for the left coast, the following cities are our targets.

LA Greater Area - Tone Merchants, The Baked Potato, Wild West Guitars
San Francisco and Greater Bay Area
Eugene, Oregon - McKenzie River Music
Seattle, WA
Vancouver, Canada
Honolulu, HI - Dan's Guitars

There's nothing like seeing Guthrie live in person. Guthrie is, first and foremost, a live improvising player and musician - in my view, anyway. The YT vids and even the CD (even though that's a whole different experience) don't quite compare to seeing him play live (preferably with a band). If each of these locations can form a backing band with some jazz/fusion/rock credentials to play some EC tunes and also jam on standards, that'd be the ideal scenario - like we had in Boston, Montreal, Toronto and Chicago.

If any of you guys want to be the "point man" to help organize a Guthrie event in your city/area, please feel free to contact me and I'll see where we can head from there.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
Volume Swell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to revisit Berklee, as I'm sure the school would love to have you fall or spring semesters.
chelmsford123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ed.

MAE is in Fort Lauderdale - not Miami (but that's good because it puts it within easy driving distance of just about all of South Florida). What do you need a point-man to do ? Maybe I can help ?
geese_com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI?
I believe they are an authorized dealer. Dave has quite a shop in La Crosse, with a HUGE collection of classic guitars on the 2nd floor (Guthrie would appreciate that). Plus 3rd St. in La Crosse has or used to have the most bars per capita (Guthrie would definitely appreciate that!)
Also, La Crosse isn't too far away from Chicago, IL, Madison, WI, and the Twin Cities in Minneapolis to if would be possible to attract a lot of fans from that area of the Midwest.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volume Swell wrote:
Feel free to revisit Berklee, as I'm sure the school would love to have you fall or spring semesters.

We're planning to be back in Boston soon and make sure we have enough time there the next time around!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelmsford123 wrote:
Hello Ed.

MAE is in Fort Lauderdale - not Miami (but that's good because it puts it within easy driving distance of just about all of South Florida). What do you need a point-man to do ? Maybe I can help ?

Well, I meant the greater Miami area but I added Fort Lauderdale next to Miami to be more precise.

The "point-man" would contact the Suhr dealer and perhaps coordinate the local advertising and spreading of the word - word of mouth, flyers, email blasts, forum postings, blogs, etc. We just want to generate as much publicity as possible at the local level to bring in as big of an audience as possible.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geese_com wrote:
How about Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI?
I believe they are an authorized dealer. Dave has quite a shop in La Crosse, with a HUGE collection of classic guitars on the 2nd floor (Guthrie would appreciate that). Plus 3rd St. in La Crosse has or used to have the most bars per capita (Guthrie would definitely appreciate that!)
Also, La Crosse isn't too far away from Chicago, IL, Madison, WI, and the Twin Cities in Minneapolis to if would be possible to attract a lot of fans from that area of the Midwest.

I had thought that part of Wisconsin and Minnesota may be too sparsely populated, but if the demand is there, we'll make the effort to include Dave's and perhaps American Guitar & Band near the Twin Cities. Dave's is one of our top dealers and we'd be very interested in doing something with them in the future. There's still some time, but we need to keep working on driving up the demand for people wanting to see Guthrie live.

Thanks!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
guitaral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey ed-

i believe i could get the faculty at my school behind guthrie to do a master class / show kind of deal. it would definitely be much appreciated!!! also, you would be playing in a nice-sized concert hall (would most definitely be getting at least 100 people out). maybe doing a two-fer kinda deal (master class in the morning/noon, show in the evening)

i go to Moravian College (in Bethlehem, PA) and there are always a bunch of shows that go on in the school. Bobby McFerrin came a little over a year ago, as did Wynton Marsalis, Art Lande, Dave Liebman, and a whole bunch of other high-profile jazz artists. a bunch of students (and with good advertising on behalf of the school and the students, a bunch of other people!) would definitely come to a concert!
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweden is a very nice place.

alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitaral wrote:
hey ed-

i believe i could get the faculty at my school behind guthrie to do a master class / show kind of deal. it would definitely be much appreciated!!! also, you would be playing in a nice-sized concert hall (would most definitely be getting at least 100 people out). maybe doing a two-fer kinda deal (master class in the morning/noon, show in the evening)

i go to Moravian College (in Bethlehem, PA) and there are always a bunch of shows that go on in the school. Bobby McFerrin came a little over a year ago, as did Wynton Marsalis, Art Lande, Dave Liebman, and a whole bunch of other high-profile jazz artists. a bunch of students (and with good advertising on behalf of the school and the students, a bunch of other people!) would definitely come to a concert!

Adding a stop or two in PA during the next northeast tour shouldn't be a problem. Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
sweden is a very nice place.

So I hear! Guthrie has been to Sweden numerous times, most recently right after the US clinic tour for a Freak Guitar Camp with Mattias.

Hey, if you can be the "point-man" for Sweden for Guthrie to do his own clinic/show there, that'd be great.

I encourage guys from all around the world to do what they can to generate the demand for Guthrie to come by. We're not really asking for a whole lot here. Based on what we just did, it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg and we're not trying to draw thousands or even hundreds. A very moderate venue, a good backing band, and low-cost local grass-roots advertising are all we really need to pull these events off.

Europe is easier for Guthrie since he's in UK anyway. He goes to Italy often these days, but let's see what we can do in Sweden, Norway, Germany, France, Netherlands, Denmark, etc. I know Godlyd in Norway told me that they'd love to have Guthrie visit them for a clinic-show, so Sweden could easily be worked in as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
MAXtheGuitarlover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Europe is easier for Guthrie since he's in UK anyway. He goes to Italy often these days, but let's see what we can do in Sweden, Norway, Germany, France, Netherlands, Denmark, etc.

Sounds great! Especially Germany Very Happy
Musik Schmidt ( http://www.musik-schmidt.de/gb ) in Frankfurt is a pretty big store, they are also an official Cornford dealer. I think they'd be glad to have a Clinic by Guthrie.
Also a friend of mine got a music school not too far away from Musik Schmidt . He'd be also very glad to get Guthrie to play a clinic/do a workshop at his school.

If you're interested I'll get in contact with those guys.
Wickedpicker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Tulsa Oklahoma Reply with quote

We don't have a Suhr dealer but we have one of those giant Guitar Centers, think Musicians friend retail outlet. Tulsa is nearly equidistant between K.C. and Dallas and I for one would canvas the city to get butts in the store. I hate Guitar Center for what it has done to local shops i.e. putting three icons out of buisiness but I would put all my Wal Mart hate asside to help the cause of getting GG the exposure he deserves. Put it on the calender and I will guarantee a turnout. By the way, Cains ballroom is perfect for GG.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Ed! I know this is a bit late of a post...but I just want to thank for the great and informative clinic at Arlene's in NYC. It was great to finally Guthrie's talent in the flesh.

I brought my sister and a friend who were not guitar players, but really enjoyed Guthrie's and your explanations (my friend was thinking of picking up guitar, and your words taught him a thing or two about sound and choosing a guitar). We all thought that Guthrie was the coolest bloke ever, and enjoyed talking to him after the show.

I wanted to meet you too Ed, but I didn't want to bother you putting the stuff away since you were pressured to speed it up for the next band. We waited for a while, but I didn't see you at all after that. Our car was on a meter so we had to bail eventually. Hopefully next time Ed Smile
jscheetz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: US dates Reply with quote

Hey Guys -

I am in Kansas City and think I could help with a clinic at Funky Munky. They are good friends of mine. I also know lots of Guthheads here so we could get the word out. Feel free to email me - jeff@jeffscheetz.com

I will actually be in the UK for the next couple of weeks playing a festival and the nproducing a band over there. But will be back after that and would be happy to help any way I could. I have done hundreds of clinics for Yamaha guitars so know how it helps to have some local support.

JS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: