Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Chords
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chords
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scias

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to get back into guitar and even teaching, what the heck I'd like to refresh myself by writing some of what I remember about Govan's songs.

My favourite is possibly Sevens, and the outro solo and the tapping section is backed by these chords which I find very nice to improv over. This is how I play the chords anyway.

Ebmaj7 (xx1333)
Gmin13 (3x0311)
Ebmaj7 (xx1333)
Gmin13 (x58565)
Abmaj9 (435343)
Cmin9 (x3133x)
Bb6 (x1303x)
Abmaj7b5(4x5533)

I won't get into improvising over these unless you ask, cos I know you're after chords and I completely agree, I'm really into playing chords at the moment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I play the chords to Fives like this:

Amin13 (x 0 5 5 3 3) (same as the other guys here)
Amin13 (x 0 5 5 3 3)
Cmin7#5(x 3 6 3 4 3) (Could be called Fmin13 because of the bassline)
Fmin7#5(x 8 11 8 9 Cool (Could be called C#maj9 because of the bassline)

I only recently learnt the bassline which in a way contradicts the chords which I originally figured out for it. The chords I had go A, A, C, F, but the bassline seems to go A, A, F, C. :S lol. I had those chords to basically help me remember the key changes, i.e. Amin, Amin, Cmin, Fmin.

Sorry If I strayed away from the chords there. Also I don't have a guitar on me at the moment so if I've made any mistakes in the tabs of the chords I've written let me know. I do hope this helps Smile
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, i thought that was a very relevant post, especially as it throws a few more voicings into the melting pot

its interesting actually, when i decided to transcribe the album i strated with great intentions and wanted to do ALL the guitar parts, so for uncle skunk and eric i did every electric and acoustic guitar thats audible....

then i kinda went insane trying this for all songs and just focused on the melodies and solos

its nice to see how other people play these progressions

to me Fives isnt really about the EXACT chords being played, its about modulating from Am11 to Fm11, as long as the rhythm player conveys tha, im happy Smile

note

THIS is why I joined this forum! great topic guys, lets discuss more
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rei Arthur Pendragon wrote:

YES G7+ = Gmaj7 in my country(Brazil). Sorry, but there was this translation stuff I didn't take into account.

Thought so...there are too many ways of writing a major 7th Wink

p.s. I am very pleased to introduce you to the word 'bamboozle' Laughing
Chilton-a-tron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
Rei Arthur Pendragon wrote:

YES G7+ = Gmaj7 in my country(Brazil). Sorry, but there was this translation stuff I didn't take into account.

Thought so...there are too many ways of writing a major 7th Wink

p.s. I am very pleased to introduce you to the word 'bamboozle' Laughing

... "bamboozle"... good word and i hope it is used more often in these forums from now on
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baboozled - definitely the definitive definition

I have the power!
Travis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS wrote:
Hey Travis you may be unwilling now given the previous "tension" in the thread [Pls Forgive the pun] but it would help if you let people know your current level of theory so that one could recommend suitable learning material. E.g Books you have worked from or currently doing so and concepts you understand and at what point it gets confusing.

In reference to your initial point i understand where you are coming from. Theory when presented in an esoteric fashion helps no-one and can be very off-putting in the early studies of a musician. I know many musicians who were adversely affected in this way and completely blocked out any theory beyond that required to play simple blues progressions for instance. Whether this hindered their musical development or not of course is debatable and for another time. [i'm aware i said adversely Razz]

I could recommend materials for you but will wait until i know more about your current level. Jumping into classical harmony for instance can be tricky if you are uninitiated in certain fundamentals. Plus its hard to know where to begin as its done by historic periods and if you arent aware of the specific styles you could find yourself beginning with the most complex of materials which often will break rules you read elsewhere and can get very messy [e.g late romantic harmony]. Plus Classical Harmony follows different rules to those in Jazz in certain situations and this can cause confusion. I know it did for me in my early theory classes.

As for earlier disagreements, i can understand where both posters were coming from but i'm sure if you post your opinions without resorting to name calling, your opinions, whether people agree or not, will be all the more valued as with any good forum community. Just my two cents, not taking sides here. Hope this topic becomes a positive learning place for you.

BIOS

Sorry about that I was out of town to bring a load of furniture to my new house.

I've been playing guitar for 5 years. Rhythm parts for about 4 years...

I know a few whole albums worth of rhythm/light lead material:
Death - Symbolic
Death - South of Perseverance
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Mastodon - Leviathan
Martyr - Hopeless Hopes

A bunch of Hendrix's songs, no full albums, but maybe a "greatest hits" albums worth of Hendrix songs.
A few Cacophony songs, none of Becker's leads though.
Been working on tabbing some Joe Satriani songs for fun.

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting an entire album there somewhere hahaha...
Scias

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:

to me Fives isnt really about the EXACT chords being played, its about modulating from Am11 to Fm11, as long as the rhythm player conveys tha, im happy Smile

Couldn't agree more. When listening to Fives, the way that the bassline and chords are kind of jumbled, it put lots of wierd and beautiful melodies in your brain, sometimes you think of lydian sounding lines as well. I also like the sound if it resolving back to Aminor. I think that a melody doesn't necessarily have to be there for you to hear it. You can hear a different melody in your head every time you listen to it.

And Travis, I just posted some thoughts on the thread about the chords of Waves, which you might be interested in:

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=1724

I'm trying to get back into teaching (and learning) more musical ideas so if anyone has any more thoughts on this topic, I'd be happy to look into them Smile
BIOS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Travis it sounds like technique wise you have covered alot when it comes to rhythm guitar. You didnt mention theory work though. I think its important to balance technique with theory so that both skill sets are at a level par. If you are focused on rhythm parts then obviously you need a good grasp of harmony. Functional harmony is something you should look to master. I'd start with blues progressions and work you way forward to more sophisticated harmonies like that found in Jazz Music. There can be sophisticated harmonies in blues too. I remember a guthrie article talking about altering blues progressions with more sophisticated harmonies in places.

A good guy to look at to bridge the gap between blues and jazz is Robben Ford. He has some good learning materials available as well specifically for rhythm players. Well worth looking into.

BIOS
Scias

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS wrote:
Well Travis it sounds like technique wise you have covered alot when it comes to rhythm guitar. You didnt mention theory work though. I think its important to balance technique with theory so that both skill sets are at a level par. If you are focused on rhythm parts then obviously you need a good grasp of harmony. Functional harmony is something you should look to master. I'd start with blues progressions and work you way forward to more sophisticated harmonies like that found in Jazz Music. There can be sophisticated harmonies in blues too. I remember a guthrie article talking about altering blues progressions with more sophisticated harmonies in places.

A good guy to look at to bridge the gap between blues and jazz is Robben Ford. He has some good learning materials available as well specifically for rhythm players. Well worth looking into.

BIOS

I listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan a lot, and I know it's a strange example as he doesn't play much rhythm guitar, but when he does, I think it's awesome. BIOS reminded me of this when talking about blues.

Say you're playing the G7 in a 12 bar blues in G. I find this shape works really well over the tonic chord (G).

G7 (x x 3 2 3 x)

Slide this shape up 2 frets and then back down two frets. Sounds awesome when timed right. I try to time it so that I slide up as an anacrusis so that I slide back down exactly on the first beat of the bar, if that makes sense.

adapt this to any key, for example use frets 7,6,7 if you're playing in B, and sliding up to 9,8,9 and then back down.

the same idea (but a different shape) can be used in the other two chords in a simple 12 bar blues. For example chord IV of the G blues is C. use this shape over it:

C7 (x x x 3 3 3)

And slide it up and down same as before.
Another good shape to stab over C7 is:

C7 (x x 2 3 3 3)

You get the idea. You've probably figured out that you can use this shape over the D7 in a G blues:

D7 (x x x 5 5 5)
timjackson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chords Reply with quote

Check out justinsandercoe's videos on youtube
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: