Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Finally pedals
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally pedals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tantra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Finally pedals Reply with quote

I’ve been using a Korg Ax 1500g & now planning to go analog. But since tube amps are not easily available in my country I’ve decided to get some good pedals which I’ll keep with me for long time & then whenever I move to Europe for my studies, I’ll buy a tube amp then. So I had a few question & needed some suggestions. I’ve heard that the pedals don’t sound that good through a solid state amp so I’ve decided that I’ll run them through the cabinets from my korg & then on to the amp. What i’m looking for is So Fuzz, OD & distortion. For the fuzz i’m basically looking for some germanium fuzz & going by the demo I like the ZVex fuzz factory a lot. I’ve read at a lot of sites that the Fuzz Factory Vexter is pretty much the same as a Fuzz factors(green one) but minus the hand paint work, has anyone here tried them & can anyone confirm it because if so then I’ll surely go for vexter given the price difference. For my overdrive I was thinking of a BB preamp & for metchul distortion at a Barber Ditry Bomb. For the delay I’m kinda sold on a timefactor, but I read in some reviews that it does suck some tone(so does it?). Talking about playing styles, I’m quite a lot in to post rock, but since not in a band yet I keep trying a lot of different stuff from lot of different genres. Bands like Muse, Sigur Ros, Radiohead,Tool, 65daysofstatic, Explosions in the sky, Zeppelin, Rage against the machine, Pearl jam, Red hot chili peppers etc.

Since I don’t know much about building rigs, so please help me with it.

P.S- For distortion i might get a Boss ds-1 from a friend.

Thanks
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are great od's and dist boxes that make solid state amps sing like a cranked tube amp. most noteably mi audio crunch box.

the fuzz factory is a great pedal. but extreme. the vexter is the same as the hand painted ones.

the timfactor is a superb unit. it might be overkill though. i'd not use in front of an amp though, but in a loop.

digitalkettle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
the fuzz factory is a great pedal. but extreme. the vexter is the same as the hand painted ones.

You might prefer the ZVex Mastotron...less extreme fuzz.

sumis wrote:
the timfactor is a superb unit. it might be overkill though. i'd not use in front of an amp though, but in a loop.

I was using the TimeFactor in the loop of a two-channel amp...now I'm running it straight into the front of a single-channel. Sounds fine either way.
tantra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
there are great od's and dist boxes that make solid state amps sing like a cranked tube amp. most noteably mi audio crunch box.

I'll be getting a tube amp next year so i was thinking to get those pedals which sound good with that even if they sound decent enough with a solid state.

sumis wrote:
You might prefer the ZVex Mastotron...less extreme fuzz.

I checked out Mastotron, although it sounds good but i think it has a lot of low end can ya suggest few some to check out.

Thanks
tantra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some more reading regarding the delay pedals I’ve narrowed down to two of them Timefactor & the t rex replica delay. Has any tried both of them

Also can you please suggest me some good, budget wah pedals.

Thanks
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tantra wrote:
After doing some more reading regarding the delay pedals I’ve narrowed down to two of them Timefactor & the t rex replica delay. Has any tried both of them

Also can you please suggest me some good, budget wah pedals.

Thanks

i have used them both. they are very different delay pedals. the replica does few things REALLY well. the timefactor does many things REALLY well.

for a plug and play pedal with GREAT sound that is easy to use, get a replica.

for a pedal with TONS of options, pristine sounds, and still pretty easy to use, get the timefactor.

now, the timefactor isn't the go-to unit for sweet, "brown", analog sounding, hi cut delays. it does that good, but not necessarily better than many other boxes. many players would prefer the replica for that.

personally, i find that the replica with the hi cut engaged sounds too muddy. imho you pay a lot for VERY good A/D D/A converters. if you use a mixer or a parallel loop, that's no biggie.

if you just want trails on your solos, get a dd-3 or a dd-7. the replica/timefactor are bloody expensive.

i use the timefactor now, and i'm VERY happy. but i'm on the look for something simpler and grittier as well ...

hope that makes sense.

Mr C.

Location: Not behind Tesco's any more but still in in Whitstable

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally pedals Reply with quote

But since tube amps are not easily available in my country

Which country do you live in?
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Finally pedals Reply with quote

Mr C. wrote:

transistorvania?

tantra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally pedals Reply with quote

@sumis- Thanks a lot

Mr C. wrote:

India
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the Transistorvanian national anthem from school...

Transistorvania Transistorvania
our clipping is smoother than the
diodes of germanium.

Laughing

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: