Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's columns - Guitar Techniques
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's columns - Guitar Techniques
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Guthrie's columns - Guitar Techniques Reply with quote

Hallo!
Is a collection of Guthrie's columns, which appeared in the magazine "Guitar Techniques", anywhere available?

Best regards
Johnny
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, and i cant see it happening,

the erotic cakes transcriptions would be worth more, and they are a no go
BIOS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:

the erotic cakes transcriptions would be worth more, and they are a no go

Well i dont know about that! I'd rather have the collection of GT articles and im sure alot of other people would too. Very few guitar players would have the chops for EC whilst GT columns cover all ranges. Even in theoretical terms I would see EC transcriptions as quite limited in terms of direct pedagogical potential for alot of guitar players when compared to the GT columns.

As far as either happening i would have thought the EC album would be more likely. Especially if he continues to gain ground in the U.S. Maybe publish via Cornford. It would be the holy grail of transcription work. Has Guthrie said its not going to happen? I would love to see it done ala the fives track with bluesjam tracks. I would pay alot more for it too!

BIOS
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no,

iv done EC and put it do as many people as possible, and there are no takers

from what i was told, Guthrie isnt interested
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so much that Guthrie isn't interested, he just has too many other things on his plate right now. He has a very busy clinic-workshop schedule with more in the works and his top priority is getting the next album done at the moment.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know us Ed,

we're just happy that Guthrie is here making the music he does Smile

Im not going to destroy the potential market for a tab book by just giving these away, i have traded a few for various collectables but want to keep the option there for Guthrie,

the same gos for the new CD, ill get right on transcribing that to when it comes Smile

the impression i got from guthrie is that he isnt overly happy with alot of his playing on there, so to have it written down for people to look at makes him feel uncomfortable, we all know how conscious guthrie is of his playing. I appreciate that hes never happy with what hes done etc etc, we all eel like that i guess (its just guthrie is slightly delusional when he has those thoughts! haha)

i just like transcribing Laughing
BIOS

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
It's not so much that Guthrie isn't interested, he just has too many other things on his plate right now.

Well that's to be expected. I was just thinking from the point of view of say BluesJamTracks and the great work jan has done there with the videos and his transcriptions that it would be in the pipeline because if you look at things from a demand supply perspective it's a no-brainer. Also i think it's important it happens from the point of view of his legacy and making it possible for the most amount of people to study and learn his music.

MissMissTreater what software do you use in your transcription work? I mean to slow down the tracks and bring out the parts? I use ASD but certain tracks on EC prove a bit tricky even with that!

BIOS
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just use transcribe software

i can set up a/b loops, and reduce tempo and it has basic eq tweaking functions, its not perfect, but i just counter it with extra time put in
Delicato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pretty much every GT since the beginning so you could say that I have what you want, just not in a very compact way. However, that won't do you guys no good since I don't have any means to transfer it to a computer...
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i have every GT too

problem is guthrie owns the copyright to the old articles, and scanning and uploading is a breach of that

which is a shame coz i DO have a scanner lol
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:

problem is guthrie owns the copyright to the old articles, and scanning and uploading is a breach of that

Does Guthrie own the copyright? I would've thought that Future Publishing would own that as Guthrie was producing the work for them. (Either way, it's copyrighted).

I've suggested several times to Guitar Techniques that they make available old columns - perhaps buyable as online downloads in pdf/mp3 format (surely they must have all the back issues and CDs archived digitally?). I would think that sets of lessons like Guthrie's Blues & Rock mutations or Pete Callard's jazz series would sell really well - if you're like me, you've got some of the magazines and some of the CDs but not a full set of either, & would happily pay for a combined set.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 2 months the copyright reverts to the author
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
MissMisstreater wrote:

Does Guthrie own the copyright? I would've thought that Future Publishing would own that as Guthrie was producing the work for them. (Either way, it's copyrighted).

Future own the copyright for one month IIRC then it reverts to the original artist. So as I understand it a cover of an Eric Johnson piece reverts to Eric... a completely cooked up style file belongs to the writer... say Guthrie.

Jon wrote:
I've suggested several times to Guitar Techniques that they make available old columns - perhaps buyable as online downloads in pdf/mp3 format (surely they must have all the back issues and CDs archived digitally?). I would think that sets of lessons like Guthrie's Blues & Rock mutations or Pete Callard's jazz series would sell really well - if you're like me, you've got some of the magazines and some of the CDs but not a full set of either, & would happily pay for a combined set.

Part of the issue with that is it would only be for the lessons: transcriptions (unless original works) would involve royalties to someone somewhere also some artists( say someone a little like Weasel Papa or his Dad's estate) are loathe to agree to transcriptions unless they know they are ephemeral - so opening the back-catalogue would deter some artists and possibly the most popular which impacts the magazine - I recall a discussion where it became apparent how much hard work chasing these agreements is done by the Future teams - even when an artist agrees their lawyer may not. It sounded like a real chore.

If Future don't release popular transcriptions they're basically releasing lessons they don't have rights to, they belong to the contributors. Some contributors may not agree to the publishing of these works as they compete with their regular works:

Creative Guitar 1, 2 and 3
Hot Country
Acoustic Guitar Bible
Giants of Rock
Fretboard Warrior
50 Guitar Solos
Chords and Scales
10 minute workout
Jason Sidwell's just released a Funk DVD
Justin Sandercoe's books available on his web-site.

Leaving stuff by Pete, Shaun, Dario, Stuart and several others. I'd love these guys to write books as they would be a distillation of the monthly contributions with their own editorial direction - but that's for them to pursue if they think there's profit from it.

It probably sounds like I'm advocating the status-quo, in fact I'm just presenting a digest of the discussions involving Neville Martin, Jason Sidwell and Simon Bradley when desires similar to those posted above have been expressed during my 6 year tenure on the Music Radar forum. Wink

I have the power!
cluster_one

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: backingtrack for waves Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
i just use transcribe software

i can set up a/b loops, and reduce tempo and it has basic eq tweaking functions, its not perfect, but i just counter it with extra time put in

By any chance do you have any backingtrack for waves or only the chords so i could play my own solo over ? Thanks
BubbaMc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list anywhere of exactly which issues of GT feature Guthrie? Or is he in most of them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: