Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Information on M.A.I-Music education
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information on M.A.I-Music education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidya78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Information on M.A.I-Music education Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

am an aspiring guitarist from Bangalore , India and am a big fan of GG amidst others especially in the fusion/progressive area.

Recently came across an insitute called M.A.I in Nancy, France and wrote to t Laughing he director as regards a musical education there and sundry.I heard back from Hans Kullock saying they have no fellowships/scholarships but the student would have to pay around 7000 euros for a one year program.

My questions to people on this forum:

1) Is an education at the M.A.I worth it's weight in gold?
2) What would be the opportunities post that? ( and that too for a guy from India?)

Is there a possibility of making a good career in music in europe ( teaching/performing?) if I get an education from this place?

3) Do these guys offer a degree of some kind?

Are there any places in Europe where I can get a degree in music ( mainly electric guitar-jazz fusion?)

Now my attributes:

just starting on guitar although played it in he past..mainly beginning on rock guitar and would look to cover Steve Vai, Joe Satriani all within a year.

I am a superquick learner and a superhard persistor and am very methodical and would like to think I have a good ear and can pick up stuff easily.

In India, there are not many places ( infact none) offering degrees in jazz fusion so this genre is not very popular here.

I would be grateful if any replies can be sent by knowledgeable people as regards this. Maybe this would also be of some use to others who are looking to begin their musical journey.

Thank you all in advance ! Smile
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to disagree, a good friend of mine is from bangalore, and hes big on jazz fusion, brett garsed played there last year

i have no idea what the school is that you mentioned

i recommend the ICMP, im studying for my degree there at the momment. I must point out tho, if you are a new player looking to cover vai at the end of the year you may not be ready for the audition process required for these schools. Im yet to find an acamdemic institution that cares about shred (i know, i shreded the fuck out of the guy in my audition, and he was like....meh) The skills they value are, sightreading, chord knowledge, caged system, arpeggio knowledge, transcription skill, aural skills

i think it is important to note that the sort of education your talking of is that, an acamdemic education. I assure you it will not make you an amazing player like you would become if you were to spend your money on lessons long term. There are guys who came to the course with no technical ability whatsoever, blues guys, and they still havnt become anymore profficient.
olliewoodwright

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im currently studying at The Brighton Institute Of Modern Music (BIMM)
and its really great. like most of the music colleges they're more intrested in making u a great all round musician rather than shred master, though the teachers there are more than capable of helping you out in that respect during 1 to 1 tutorials.

check out Arian Legg he's my fingerstyle tutor and is insanely good!

id check out as many schools as you can each have there own subtle differences but they're all really similar places in the end, at least thats what i found.
musiculi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a knowledgeable person but I still wanted to say that you probably wont find a university that teaches just Fusion.
I went to the Munich Guitar Institute for two years and there we played a variety of genres from Jazz(mainly Bebop) to Metal and Country. Now I am a student at BIMM where playing your instrument really isn't the top priority. Especially in the BA year 3. I guess its because its only for very few people possible to actually make a living out of playing fusion and jazz. (there is no money in jazz)
I see fusion more as my hobby and my passion but I realized that I need to play more than that.
Don't really think that helps you but anyway. Smile

P.S.: You don't need a degree to make living in the music business.
If you practice hard enough and then leave your bedroom after practicing and get good connections you'll make it.
satchy3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

not sure if it's still relevant, but as I live in France and I've heard a small bit about that school i thought i'd send my opinion.

First, it does not guarantee a job. Music is not like IT engineering, if you are a quick learner, you'll probably make more money from engineering.
Out of MAI, you get a degree, but frankly it does not stand out like a Berklee degree would.

Strong points of the school are:
- excellent teachers, well versed in all things music related. Manu Livertou is pretty strong on tapping techniques, JC Rapin has deep blues rock knowledge, and every big shredguitar name has given a clinic over there.
- good quality students, since not everyone is accepted and it is a very much guitar oriented school
- good equipment
- nice atmosphere,cool city.

As far as the fusion genre goes, you'll surely learn how to tear a chord vamp upside down, but like musiculi said, you don't need a degree for it.
All that said, all the people i've met from that school were very positive about their year and i can attest that JC Rapin is surely a refined player.

The biggest question might be the english language...french tend to NOT speak english.

Best of luck in your guitar journey!
Insomnia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

You could check out Sweden. We don't got any schools that stand out as much as Berklee do, but I have heard about a lot of international students who go to Sweden.
Our government puts a lot of money into theese University schools, I'm not sure about any rules our somethings. Good Luck though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: