Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Picks
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Picks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say that my ibanez H16s are more cost effective, they wear out, but 25 would last me longer than a red bear! Laughing
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
Ipacak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the black Jazz IIIs for years, I always loved the attack and tone of those but I was never happy with how they wear quickly and feel rough/sound scratchy after a little while. The edges of the picks are rough out of the bag too, some are worse than others...

I bought a Red Bear Big Jazzer (heavy gauge) a few months back - very comfortable pick, slick release and nice thick tone. I've been using it pretty much nonstop since I received it, and there are barely any signs of wear on the pick... still feels the same as the day I got it.

What's really impressive is it's durability. Makes the price tag a bit more reasonable once you realize how long these things last - just make sure you don't lose it! I may try a Little Jazzer, but I remember someone saying they're even smaller than the Jazz III's? That may be too small for me...
Tom Gilroy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used red Jazz IIIs almost since I began playing (I couldn't have been playing longer than a year when I started using them). They used to be made of a duller looking plastic, which I really loved. Now they're made from a glossier plastic, which I don't like at all (the black picks are now made from a different material to the material used originally also). The new red Jazz IIIs scratch and dent where they contact the string very quickly, which leads to a pretty nasty sounding attack on the picked notes.

I've been using the the Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs for a while now, I like them alot more than the current red Jazz IIIs and everybit as much as I liked the old reds.

I don't like the ultex Jazz IIIs. They give a really "clacky" attack.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I've been checking out this forum for over a year by now, however never got around to registering. But since I heard about Red Bear through this forum, I figured I should comment on them.

First, let me say that I have been using Jazz III's for as long as I can remember, at least 10 years or so. After spending thousands and thousands on every other aspect of my rig, I figured it was worth seeing what all of the "buzz" was about.

I spoke with Andy (Wood) at Namm, and he mentioned how much he liked them as well. So I ordered a few....and the rest is history.

These picks are awesome!! Much better than I had anticipated....I was concerned with the durability of a pick that costs $20....after 4 weeks of teaching, 3 solo acoustic shows (3 sets a night), and 6 full band shows (also 3 sets a night), I just filed it for the first time tonight. I would've gone through at least a dozen jazz III's in that time....and they cost approx. 70 cents a piece. So, it would"ve been $8.40 plus tax. Honestly, I will probably get another 4-5 weeks out of the Red Bear, so for me, financially, it equals out.

Now for the tone....the Red Bear has a low-mid fundamental to my ear....slightly brighter than the Jazz III, but somehow "warmer" at the same time. The biggest thing for me is how smooth the release is....and in that dept., the Red bear can't be beat.

For those of you worried about the size, the Lil Jazzer is virtually identical to the Jazz III, however if you order the Heavy gauge it will be slightly thicker than the Jazz III.

I can't see using anything else at this point, that"s how happy I am with the product. I would go so far as to say if anybody ordered the lil jazzer in heavy gauge, standard bevel, and didn't like it, I would buy it from you.

It's worth the money, give it a shot!!

P.S. Happy to be a part of this wonderful forum....finally!
www.facebook.com/zeroesque
www.youtube.com/zeroesque
therag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

typo message

Last edited by therag on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
therag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I use Jim Dunlop Tortex sharps, 1.5 mm. I'd use it in 2.00 mm if they had it, but I'm definitely looking to try out those Red Bear picks, which I must say, are very pricey! I'm guessing Guthrie uses the "Red Jasper No. 9" pick as it is the only one that is sold out? hahaha!! Don't worry, I was going to buy one, too.. Embarassed Why are they so expensive?
hermanmonker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some picks for sale if any one is interested.They are made from Casein Plastic the same material The red Bear and John Pearse picks are made from.I can make them from 1mm to just under 4mm.

[IMG]
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting - got a price in mind?

I have the power!
hermanmonker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£7 including p+p in the U.K each
guitaral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got the big jazzer in tortoiseshell as well as the tufftone material. both picks are amazing, though i am definitely leaning toward the original red bear pick. very slick to the touch, but doesn't slip; clean, articulate attack and really nice sound. almost no string noise too. the cut it has through the strings is simply amazing; no playing effort required on the right hand part! metheny and martino lines have already cleaned themselves up! Wink
RoryButler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermanmonker, I would absolutely love a cheap alternative to a redbear, but I just bought a Cornford Roadhouse 30 head so I literally have no money in the bank Sad

Really jonesing to try a Red Bear!
hermanmonker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just PM. me when you're ready ,any shape/size and thickness .Its the same material as the red bear picks ,only difference is there is no lazer engraving on it.
olliewoodwright

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hermanmonker

can you make one like the Dunlop Big Stubby with the bevel/dent in it?

guitaral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you get the material colored like that? i am trying to make a few picks right now, and they sound good, but i'd like to get them to look like that.
hermanmonker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried making the material at first but could'nt get it to look good enough so I was lucky enough to buy some sheets on Ebay a year ago.I just cut to size and shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: