Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Latest news on the new GG Suhr?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest news on the new GG Suhr?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bowks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Latest news on the new GG Suhr? Reply with quote

Hey Ed, got any updates for us? Laughing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suhr forgot to do a rout to recess the bridge on the body of the guitar, so they had to build a new body from scratch. So that body without the rout ended up being assembled into this following guitar that ended up into another Guthrie fanatic's hands (Steve Snider):

http://community.webshots.com/album/101843283RTrsRK/1

Guthrie's new Suhr will be quite close to this but with dots on the fingerboard, matching color headstock (but reversed a la Hendrix), and a recessed bridge to allow trem pull-ups without leaning the bridge forward. Guthrie likes using the piezo bridge but when he leans it forward there isn't enough pressure over the piezo saddles and that affects the output. So this one will have a recessed bridge (like a Floyd) and allow for extreme pull-ups (a la Jeff Beck) but the bridge will be level with the body so there'll be enough string tension pressure over the piezo saddles. Can't wait to get it in myself!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been bugging Suhr about this guitar for the past month and it has turned out to be one of those guitars that keeps getting kicked back because it doesn't come out exactly as John likes it. One time, Suhr screwed up by forgetting to rout out the back of the bridge to allow for trem pull-ups without having the bridge lean forward (since it'll have the piezo saddles again). Another time, they picked out a quilt maple top when it's supposed to be a flame maple top.

The first one ended up going to Steve Snider (the one posted above) and the one with the quilt top I said I'd build as a replica of this new Guthrie guitar but without the piezos and with, of course, with the quilt instead of the flame maple top. So I call up Suhr asking, "Where is Guthrie's guitar?" And they advise me that John wasn't totally happy with how the paint job came out so the body's being re-painted again! Rolling Eyes Oh, well, that's how Suhr operates. If it doesn't meet his exacting standards, it doesn't get out.

So this number 2 is going through a lot to make it out of there, but they told me that it should finally be ready sometime next week... We shall see how it turns out...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's finally here. Another absolutely gorgeous guitar. Shocked Guthrie hasn't seen it yet. He'll get his hands on her on Saturday. Will have plenty of photos of him playing it then and also on the Tone Mecca shows on Jan 18-20. He's going to love it. Well, here are some more pics:

http://community.webshots.com/album/250143216IxuZIz

L. Ron Hoover strikes again! Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, Webshots has some technical glitch happening, so I'll just post some of the other photos right here:

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
carnflab

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Does Guthrie have a say in these guitars he keeps getting? Does he pay for them or are they an endorsment or somthing?
Bowks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked That is a sweet looking Suhr! Shocked

The flame on that top is one of the most uniform, tight patterns I've ever seen and the additional sculpting at the neck join looks very ergonomic too. Is that style of sculpting a standard feature on the Suhr guitar or is it something John has done specifically for this particular guitar? Also, the contouring of the rib carving on the back looks a lot deeper than usual. Again, is that a feature unique to this or something that Suhr offers as standard?

The Suhr headstock design also looks good reversed.

Ed, have you sneaked a quick play on it, purely for 'research purposes'? Cool

EDIT: I've just noticed how clean the rout under the bridge is too. John Suhr is one hell of a craftsman!
Bowks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, would you mind if I posted these pics at the Guitarist Magazine & Guitar Techniques forums?
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that guitar looks sweet!! Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnflab wrote:
Very cool! Does Guthrie have a say in these guitars he keeps getting? Does he pay for them or are they an endorsment or somthing?

Yes, Guthrie has a lot of say in the guitars he's gettting. For instance, he specifically asked for the reverse headstock and to have the Fishman Power Bridge recessed so he can pull up on it without having to lean the bridge forward. It's somewhat of an endorsement kind of a thing. He does favors for Tone Merchants and Suhr (by really loving and playing their guitars wherever he goes) and we provide a truly great artist the instruments that help him play his best. We don't have an official endorsement agreement or anything like that. At least, not yet...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowks wrote:
Shocked That is a sweet looking Suhr! Shocked

The flame on that top is one of the most uniform, tight patterns I've ever seen and the additional sculpting at the neck join looks very ergonomic too. Is that style of sculpting a standard feature on the Suhr guitar or is it something John has done specifically for this particular guitar? Also, the contouring of the rib carving on the back looks a lot deeper than usual. Again, is that a feature unique to this or something that Suhr offers as standard?

The Suhr headstock design also looks good reversed.

Ed, have you sneaked a quick play on it, purely for 'research purposes'? Cool

EDIT: I've just noticed how clean the rout under the bridge is too. John Suhr is one hell of a craftsman!

Yes, it is an absolutely stunning guitar but is understated and quite classy looking as well.

This is a standard Suhr Standard. The neck joint carve and the rib carving on the back are normal like on any other Suhr Standard guitar. I agree that the reverse headstock matches this body design very well.

Yes, I've played it unplugged and through the mega GG rig and it plays and sounds awesome. Mahogany is just so thick sounding with a lot of punch, but the guitar retains great clarity with very detailed articulation.

One can just stare at a guitar like this for hours and marvel at the workmanship. It is so meticulous with pain-staking attention-to-detail craftsmanship evident wherever you look on the guitar. Truly beautiful.

Yes, please feel free to post the photos anywhere you'd like. Thanks!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
3Sides

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex what are the specs on that guitar? The body is mahogany, but what about the neck, fingerboard? Also the pickups, neck carve, etc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie and his band are in town and rehearsing on the Tone Mecca stage as I write this. Astounding is THE WORD! Here are pics of them "working out the rust".

http://community.webshots.com/album/246451195kvgkIg/1

BTW, Guthrie was absolutely flabbergasted by his new Suhr Standard and it has been the only guitar he's been playing so far. He kept telling me that he's "speechless" and can't believe how great it looks, sounds, and plays. The shows are going to be mind-boggling. This band is so tight and together that it defies description. Absolutely scary and amazing to behold... Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't recognise the guys, so I did some "aquarium dressing", it looks more like them:

The box on the "table" is a box of Fellowship CDs" it usually woefully overstocked come the end of the evening... please correct this Wink

I have the power!
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, nice one Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: