Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Latest news on the new GG Suhr?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest news on the new GG Suhr?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinojackson

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding GG's new suhr, could anybody tell me how far can the trem be pushed /pulled (how many frets up/down exactly)?
fingerprinz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on my Suhr, when the trem is set level, I can pull up about a fret's worth (to F on the low string); I can push down until the strings are completely slack, so I don't know how many frets worth that is...

On Guthrie's new guitar, in stock form, the trem is recessed, so there's a bit more play on the pull-back. NOW...when I was picking up the empty beer bottles around Guthrie's area on the stage here at the Tone Mecca, I noticed that he had adjusted the trem so that the rear end was floating higher (than level) off the body. I guess the recessed trem still isn't quite enuf for his purposes.

He spent the better part of one afternoon's rehearsal setting up the guitar (it was kind of interesting to watch...). Come to think of it, when the band resumed practice, that's when they tore into the every increasing tempo versions of "Rhode Island Shred...". As a matter of fact, that was Wednesday...and that night's performance was pure magic!
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingerprinz wrote:
On Guthrie's new guitar, in stock form, the trem is recessed, so there's a bit more play on the pull-back. NOW...when I was picking up the empty beer bottles around Guthrie's area on the stage here at the Tone Mecca, I noticed that he had adjusted the trem so that the rear end was floating higher (than level) off the body. I guess the recessed trem still isn't quite enuf for his purposes.

I thought setting the trem slightly high was just a means of making it easier to use for small "Beck-esque" inflections, some physics to do with turning points and fulcrums.. I could well be wrong though Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingerprinz wrote:

I think he adjusted the trem so it matched the angle and the feel of his Root Beer Suhr, which floats about 3/64" off the body. He's probably used to that angle on the bridge and wanted to keep the feel consistent from guitar to guitar more than wanting to pull up even more 'cause I never saw him do any extreme pull-ups yet a la Vai or Beck.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Variation of the GG Suhr Std at Tone Merchants Reply with quote

Available now at Tone Merchants. It's a slight variation of the Suhr Standard with reverse headstock that Guthrie Govan just picked up and used it for the majority of the Tone Merchants shows during NAMM week and is now using it exclusively on tour in Europe with the band Asia. The only differences between this and the one that GG has are that this one has a Quilt Maple top instead of Flame, a Standard Trem instead of the Fishman Power Bridge, and a gloss finish neck instead of satin finish. The pics below make the back look darker than it really is. It's more brown than black. The specs:

Standard - SN4170
Mahogany body with Quilted Maple top
Mahogany Neck with Indian Rosewood fingerboard
Even C Slim neck shape - .800-.880
16" radius
6105 SS frets
Standard Trem
5-way with auto coil-splitting and push-pull tone knob to add bridge pup
Black plastic knobs
Sperzel Locking Tuners
DSH bridge pup, V60LP in the middle, DSV in neck
Cherry Sunburst finish - matching headstock
Abalone logo and dots
John's signature on back of headstock

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I've got two replicas of the one that Guthrie just got: one with the same reverse ("lefty") headstock and one with the normal "righty" headstock. The only difference will be that these that are coming in won't have the Fishman piezo saddles, but the Standard Trem bridge is the same as the one that's on Guthrie's. You can even install the piezo pickup in each saddle should you decide you want to make the change later.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Schamby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
By the way, I've got two replicas of the one that Guthrie just got: one with the same reverse ("lefty") headstock and one with the normal "righty" headstock.

Hi Ed, when you say "have," do you mean "have on order?" If so, when are they expected, and if not, do you have pics? Are they spec'd with the recessed bridge as well?

Thanks!

Steve
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schamby wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
By the way, I've got two replicas of the one that Guthrie just got: one with the same reverse ("lefty") headstock and one with the normal "righty" headstock.

Hi Ed, when you say "have," do you mean "have on order?" If so, when are they expected, and if not, do you have pics? Are they spec'd with the recessed bridge as well?

Thanks!

Steve

Hey Steve, yes they are on order. Someone already reserved the one with the reverse headstock but decided that he wanted a Floyd Rose on it. They should arrive in late-April. Yes, I spec'd them with the recessed bridge.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: