Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Finally... I'm a Suhr Owner!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally... I'm a Suhr Owner!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Finally... I'm a Suhr Owner! Reply with quote

D'oh! Took long enough for the director of marketing at Suhr, eh? Wink And what else would it be? A spanking new GG Model under the Christmas tree. I added the wood knobs and the switch tip to give it a little deluxe personal touch but it's still a GG all the way. And it was a gift from the company in appreciation for the work I've been putting in and I'm quite grateful.

I have been holding that first Root Beer Standard for Guthrie in my home as he just couldn't take it back with him after an Asia tour and he had plenty of other Suhrs in his stable, but that's Guthrie's guitar, not mine. But this one is mine although Guthrie is always welcome to play it if he needs while he's over in the States as a backup or whatever. Cool

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
MAXtheGuitarlover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, nice christmas present!!

I'm surprised you didn't own a Suhr before, though... Wink
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club, Ed! (said with irony ;^) it looks amazing.

Congratulations for having your diligence and creativity recognised - wholly deserved.

I'm still having fun considering all the ramifications of Guthrie playing this guitar too - past sacrifices, long awaited albums, psychic imprints.
I'm trying to discern catalyst from reagent in the chemistry, last time you let Guthrie play a Suhr intended for your hands.

Top marks to the decorator of your Christmas tree too Smile

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAXtheGuitarlover wrote:
Wow, nice christmas present!!

I'm surprised you didn't own a Suhr before, though... Wink

Yeah, that's funny, isn't it? Well, I was the owner of Tone Merchants for good 3 years and, technically, everything in the store was mine, so I've had my share of Suhrs. Wink

Working at Suhr, I see and deal with Suhr guitars every single day, so always being that close to the guitars probably put me off from getting one when there are other priorities - like raising two little boys! Oh, and my wife has total control over the household budget (which I gladly ceded), so there was no immediate chance of me convincing her that I should buy a guitar to have it sit around the house. Laughing

But, I must say, I now really have a good reason to play more often. I need to make some time for doing so. If I can commit nearly 2 hours of every day to the gym, I'm sure I can commit some time as well to enjoy a fine instrument such as this.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or what you mean Ed is

"i work for suhr, i know what gos into these guitars! you couldnt pay me to play one, stupid piles of crap"

Wink

lol

great work, she has a great top on her

tho you obsession with woods has taken over when you insist on wood knobs!!! haha

enjoy it mate
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:

tho you obsession with woods has taken over when you insist on wood knobs!!! haha

enjoy it mate

Thanks, man! As for the wood knobs, they do add to the tonal quality of the guitar - maybe by .000000001%, but it's there. Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
MissMisstreater wrote:

enjoy it mate

Thanks, man! As for the wood knobs, they do add to the tonal quality of the guitar - maybe by .000000001%, but it's there. Laughing

there you have it people! the man has spoken!!! glue as many lolly sticks to your axe as possible!!!
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed probably can discern vibrations like that, he might even have done a blind test - he's in the right place to ask!

For years he owned a successful boutique guitar/amp/effects shop - do you think he could do that and not have an amazingly honed sense of tone?

Aristotle says - "we are what we repeatedly do" - ergo Ed knows tone. Or in Essex parlance "noshutupright" Smile

I'm not about to put wooden knobs on my Suhr but then mine was probably dubbed "the Amish-caster" back then Very Happy

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so now you have a good reason not to go to the gym ...

nice axe indeed. congrats.

alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Ed probably can discern vibrations like that, he might even have done a blind test - he's in the right place to ask!

For years he owned a successful boutique guitar/amp/effects shop - do you think he could do that and not have an amazingly honed sense of tone?

Aristotle says - "we are what we repeatedly do" - ergo Ed knows tone. Or in Essex parlance "noshutupright" Smile

I'm not about to put wooden knobs on my Suhr but then mine was probably dubbed "the Amish-caster" back then Very Happy

Well, it is still my thought that 80~90% (or even more) of one's tone is in hands and the mind of the player. And that would include the gear that the player chooses to play. I mean, although I suspect Guthrie and EJ would still sound like themselves through a Roland JC-120 with a Boss overdrive or distortion pedal, that is not something they'd want to play through.

Good gear only complements the player and it's still a very subjective thing as there are bewildering number of choices in guitars, pickups, amps, effects devices, cabinets and speakers. I do believe that there's a point of diminishing returns for the amount of time, money and effort one puts into fine-tuning one's rig. After a certain point, it really doesn't matter that much what one does to a rig.

That's really what I learned working at Tone Merchants and what I continue to run into now. There is no right or wrong in a lot of these things. The best I can do is guide someone to find his own sound.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
so now you have a good reason not to go to the gym ...

nice axe indeed. congrats.

Have to go to the gym... I'm addicted now. I just need to make the time (maybe read a little less) to play more. Smile

Thanks. I guess my tastes are very similar to Guthrie's when it comes to guitars and gear. It's just a very versatile guitar and it's also a serious rock guitar. Gotta rock! Twisted Evil
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
M@

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm itching to buy my 3rd Suhr (have a standard and pro II). Actually, was gonna buy a Modern about 6 months ago and ended up going for a Vigier Shawn Lane Master model, which has given me some grief over the months re the Nut and Zero Fret.

Next purchase will be a Modern... just need to save the bucks and convince the missus that "yes dear, we do have more room to put one more guitar in our tiny little shoebox apartment here in Hong Kong!" Razz

Cheers
jb777

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: hi ed Reply with quote

hi ed my names justin ive just ordered a guthrie model suhr through the good people at peach guitars, how long might u think it would take suhr to build and ship to the uk???i hope your enjoying your suhr too, ps thank u for helping put on the guthrie masterclass & clinic in manchester uk, i enjoyed it very much.
van hellion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats brother Ed!! its a beauty! those wood knobs sure are pretty!

A Wood
markmcg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Great present, congrats Ed!

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: