Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Musical Education - books, but perhaps not what you thought.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Musical Education - books, but perhaps not what you thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Musical Education - books, but perhaps not what you thought. Reply with quote

I remember, several years ago being surprised to find someone who I admired for their drive and focus read biographies and autobiographies of notable historical characters, I didn't think much more of it.

A few months ago, a friend handed me Duende, a journey in search of Flamenco - it was inspiring - so inspiring I told another friend who said "cool, I'm reading Bill Bruford's autobiograhy, it's got some amazing insight into music" - so I started reading that - he was right... all these books had wisdom and life experience and excellent examples of how to live as a musician (philosophy if not career) and affected my perception of music and my own place in it. My practice routine changed.

For Christmas I got Victor L. Wooten's Music Lesson and Andy Summer's memoirs. I've not started Andy's book or finished Bill Bruford's - I'm giving so much attention to Music Lesson and it's thought-provoking content - is it a biography or an allegory, it's amazing.

I think Victor Wooten's book is going to be a constant read, so given my recommendation - what are your recommendations and more importantly - why?

I have the power!
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Charles Mingus' autobiography that was quite good. It wasn't so much music related as just a trip in the man's mind. Though at the same time I feel like I understand his music and genius more because of it. There was definitely some crazy things in that book, not what I expected at all. Great read.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, duly noted, thanks Mirth Smile

I have the power!
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the topic, I love biographies and the like. Will definitely have to hit up some of those books you posted.
Mirth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, what's the Bill Bruford book? Autobiography?
frankus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Bruford's The Autobiography - yup Smile

I have the power!
Mirth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I will have to get my hands on then. Nothing like getting into some of these guys heads for a couple days.

Not that this is music, but Salvador Dali's Autobiography (which he wrote in his 30's) is freaking magnificent. I was really sad finishing that book, because it was something else really. One of the best things I've ever read.
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant - I'll look out for that one too Smile

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
That I will have to get my hands on then. Nothing like getting into some of these guys heads for a couple days.

Not that this is music, but Salvador Dali's Autobiography (which he wrote in his 30's) is freaking magnificent. I was really sad finishing that book, because it was something else really. One of the best things I've ever read.

then u should read man ray's as well ...

M@

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister bought me Clapton's book, and I walked away from that thinking the guy is the biggest unfaithful womanising, twat, dickhead that ever picked up a guitar.

I also read the Larry Coryell book and couldn't wait to put it in the trash.

Just my opinion, that's all!
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to read those two M@, it would only be to challenge my preconceptions of them!

I'm not a big fan of Clapton - I remember thinking that when I was 16 and someone's Dad was telling me he was the greatest - I already preferred Jerry Garcia and Frank Zappa Smile

I also agree with Pat Metheny about Larry Coryell:

Quote:
When Larry Coryell presumed to overdub himself on top of a Wes Montgomery track, I lost a lot of the respect that I ever had for him, and I have to seriously question the fact that I did have respect for someone who could turn out to have have such unbelievably bad taste and be that disrespectful to one of my personal heroes.

I might try of Chaka Kahn's autobiography Smile

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: