Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guitar Amplifiers
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Amplifiers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Guitar Amplifiers Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was wondering what your opinions on amps might be. I'm sure a lot of you will swear on Cornford but that's really not practical for me. I'm looking for an amp that screams organic tone. I'd say that below 1000 dollars is where my price range is at.

I've been looking at getting a single channel amp then getting a few pedals and that could suffice for what I want. Then again, I know some amps have some really nice overdrive channels.

I guess tonewise for a clean setting, I would want to be able to have that bright, twang, country sound without being too obnoxious with the treble, and being able to have a smooth jazz tone. That's really all I could ever want and it's too hard to find really.

With distortion though, I could go on for days about all the tones I wish I could get. So I'll just explain a couple of them. At Guitar Center the other day I played a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a strat and was able to get some awesome Eric Johnson and Stevie Ray Vaughan tones. It sounded fantastic. Then I got a Gibson Les Paul and played through a Marshall Haze amp. The amp didn't really have that great of sound but on one setting I had this amazing gritty, nasally tone. I had the gain pretty high with the treble and bass at about 2 'o clock and the mids almost all the way up. It made for this awesome "Angus Young" type sound. Guthrie has an awesome way of finding this tone if you know what I'm talking about.

Although these different tones came from different amps and guitars, I know you could get a similar type of sound with one amp and one guitar. I just want that creamy sound along with that gritty sound and the in-the-between stuff. I'm not interested in death metal so the maximum amount of distortion I would want is that of the likes of John Petrucci's gain for his Dream Theater stuff and solo stuff. Haha, I like his heavy crunch tones as well. Twisted Evil

If anything else, just tell me your favorite amps and what they have to offer. Hopefully I haven't made too big of an idiot of myself talking about different tones and such. I don't really know a lot about amps. Thanks!
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, after reading this, it seems kind of like an impossible task. I still want the insight though.
PGA n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a Fender Super Sonic? (it costs a bit more though, but not much)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, that's not the first time I've been suggested that amp! I think what I'm going to do is.....get a job and save up and buy a Carvin guitar and change the pickups and then save up for a cornford roadhouse! Now I just need a job...
PGA n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the job idea

I have a job -> I have lots of gear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGA n00b wrote:

Job > gear > no time Sad
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peavy classic.

PGA n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:
PGA n00b wrote:

Job > gear > no time Sad

that's true, there really is not much time left

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
peavy classic.

20, 30 or 50?

I have the power!
hagerman222

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classic 50 is heavy but is really clean, lots of head room. The 30 will break up easier and is a lot lighter. Either way, swap out the tubes for some JJ's at eurotubes.com - they sound a lot better and kits for specific amps.
wallympls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the Cornford Roadhouse 30 head.

The Tone Merchants performance NAMM 2008 GG used the 30 head into a 4x12.
LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4Tf9gwCgw

He also used it in the Hilton with Rob Balducci playing Little Wing.
LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTaWSXOg850

Priced at $1399 it is the best possible deal out there. I know you mentioned your cap was $1K, but $400 makes a big difference getting out of the standard tones out there. I think you would be very happy.

Guthries main head right now is still the Roadhouse 50. Amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: