Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Interview on Latest Issue of Premier Guitar
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Interview on Latest Issue of Premier Guitar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Guthrie Interview on Latest Issue of Premier Guitar Reply with quote

The GG buzz keeps growing:

http://digital.premierguitar.com/premierguitar/201003_1/#pg133

Guitar Player magazine wants to do an interview and full-feature article on Guthrie as well.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a great read

more please Guthrie
Zakka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

"I can generally guess within reason what they're doing, and what fret they're on, and where they learned that lick. I can generally give you the genealogy of the lick and who did it first"

If it was another guy saying it, i wouldn't believe it at all. But it's Guthrie =)
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The world's most outrageous guitarist"... I like that. Hard to argue, I have to add. Someone on the Petrucci Forum also stated: "Sickest player on earth." Not the best (no such thing), not the fastest (absurdly pointless), not the most soulful (too subjective), not the most innovative (hard to measure), etc., just "the sickest" and the "most outrageous." Laughing Have probably seen Guthrie live nearly 4 dozen times now and his playing never gets old. There are always surprises and new things that he plays every single time.

And that's what makes him so outrageous and sick; it's his amazing improvisational ability and the way he connects his mind and soul to the technique to simply express the ideas in his head and what he's feeling at a given moment during performance. Every solo he performs are like a snapshot of that moment. I played some audio from the recent Boston show for my wife (who was a music major in college for a while and has played piano since she was a little girl) and after she listened to it, she said, "I think of him as more of a composer than a guitar player."
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
van hellion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
"The world's most outrageous guitarist"... I like that. Hard to argue, I have to add. Someone on the Petrucci Forum also stated: "Sickest player on earth." Not the best (no such thing), not the fastest (absurdly pointless), not the most soulful (too subjective), not the most innovative (hard to measure), etc., just "the sickest" and the "most outrageous." Laughing Have probably seen Guthrie live nearly 4 dozen times now and his playing never gets old. There are always surprises and new things that he plays every single time.

And that's what makes him so outrageous and sick; it's his amazing improvisational ability and the way he connects his mind and soul to the technique to simply express the ideas in his head and what he's feeling at a given moment during performance. Every solo he performs are like a snapshot of that moment. I played some audio from the recent Boston show for my wife (who was a music major in college for a while and has played piano since she was a little girl) and after she listened to it, she said, "I think of him as more of a composer than a guitar player."

absolutely! ya know the thing that i love about him above tons of other "fusion" guitarists is that when he lets go and improvises his solos it never sounds too cerebral . He makes MUSIC, GREAT MUSIC! he has all the chops in the world but lets be honest thousands of guys have chops, he just plays stuff that sounds good. Its a simple thing to say (or type, rather) but the guy just plays stuff that sounds good. It is a goal i think we all strive for as musicians.

A Wood
Garry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything posted above. It is useless to be the fastest guitar player, and if this is your only goal you are in the wrong way. Instead, all of us should aspire to have such a vocabulary and knowledge of our instrument, to be able to express ourselves with no limits. Just like Guthrie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: