Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Erotic Cakes - (almost) Whole album TABs
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erotic Cakes - (almost) Whole album TABs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
Hes taking the credit for MY work!!!

what can i do?

This ranks right up the with Brian Mena (of Menatone pedals) bitching at Runoffgroove for "stealing" his idea of copying the Dumble Preamp schematic using jfet transistors instead of tubes - except Guthrie isn't Howard Dumble, and you're not Brian Mena and the kid on youtube isn't any of the the great guys at ROG Very Happy actually maybe it's not that at all..

Seriously, who's work is he really stealing? Wink

Kudos for the effort you put into it, you've done a solid job, but frankly despite the titanic task the genius is all Guthrie's IMO (as an individual and not a mod).

I have the power!
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no, theyre different things arent they?

What i have done is still work is it not? LOADS of hours poured into transcribing all of this. Would you say that Guthrie cant be credited for his work in GT?

Peter Jackson made pictures for what Tolkien put down in words

Cover bands play other peoples songs, but they still work damn hard at getting it right

How long do you think it took Guthrie to play the fives solo? two takes? maybe five? How many hours do you think were spent meticulously writing every note of it, decyphering rhythms, watching videos to see HOW and WHERE Guthrie plays certain licks?

Sure Guthrie is the artist and has poured his heart into his music and he is the sole creator, but that doesnt mean that the endless hours iv slaved with the album on repeat are his too. Or that anyone can try and pass those hours off as their own.

Remember, this isnt a hobby for me, this is my job, my livelyhood. It pays my bills, rent and buys my gear. Its hard enough to make a living in this game without people storming in and potentially stealing a reputation and work that I have given these out for.

Guthrie keeps having to put his album off because of money. Brett Garsed is desperately trying to fund his new CD but knows hes probably going to make a loss on it. What is music coming to when guys like THAT cant be free to give the world what we love them for?

So no its not cool, iv poured my life and soul time and savings into making a living from this business.
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
Well no, theyre different things arent they?

Let's see:

MissMisstreater wrote:

What i have done is still work is it not?

You didn't get paid to do it, you weren't asked to do it, it's something you enjoyed doing.

MissMisstreater wrote:

Would you say that Guthrie cant be credited for his work in GT?

No he's paid to do that in the magazine if he was not credited it'd be indicated in his contract.

MissMisstreater wrote:

Peter Jackson made pictures for what Tolkien put down in words

Yes that's right Peter Jackson visualized and created a cinematic spectacle.

MissMisstreater wrote:

Cover bands play other peoples songs, but they still work damn hard at getting it right

Yes they do, if they didn't they wouldn't get invited to play gigs.

MissMisstreater wrote:

How long do you think it took Guthrie to play the fives solo? two takes? maybe five? How many hours do you think were spent meticulously writing every note of it, decyphering rhythms, watching videos to see HOW and WHERE Guthrie plays certain licks?

I don't know how long Guthrie took to write solos, I don't know how long you spent transcribing them.

MissMisstreater wrote:

Sure Guthrie is the artist and has poured his heart into his music and he is the sole creator,

I suggest he probably enjoyed doing it and might have poured a beer or two - maybe he poured his heart, but he's always struck me as a level-headed chap.

MissMisstreater wrote:
but that doesnt mean that the endless hours iv slaved

Confused

MissMisstreater wrote:
with the album on repeat are his too.
Or that anyone can try and pass those hours off as their own.

I don't know, they have to spend time interpreting what you've written and practise that then they've attempted and achieved something too. It would be great if they mentiond you it would be big of you to praise them for their achievement (through you).

MissMisstreater wrote:
Remember, this isnt a hobby for me, this is my job, my livelyhood.

If this really is your livelihood then you might be best served by not fighting people; you should be anticipating situations and then obviating issues.

If the name of the game is reputation then you need to have a great reputation for getting on with people and not having an ego or temper that might get in the way of musical projects.

MissMisstreater wrote:
Its hard enough to make a living in this game without people storming in and potentially stealing a reputation and work that I have given these out for.

Here is the synopsis for what you are writing. It's concise so you can see it and adapt and win next time: "I didn't think through how I was going to market this". Simple as that, you can blame other people but I think if you do you're missing an opportunity to learn how you avoid it next time.

In the first instance you could have talked nicely to the guy on youtube and he'd probably add a link to your site, you could praise him on the way it sounds and realise you get more by making people feel good.

In a tough environment the concepts of ownership and scarecity don't help.

MissMisstreater wrote:

Guthrie keeps having to put his album off because of money. Brett Garsed is desperately trying to fund his new CD but knows hes probably going to make a loss on it. What is music coming to when guys like THAT cant be free to give the world what we love them for?

Really, reel it in. Music is not coming to anything, you're feeling like you've lost something but you really haven't. The hours you've spent transcribing: did it teach you nothing? did it not help you further down the road you want to travel? You need to celebratewhat it gave you and pack in being a "have not".

These people make music, it's what they want to do. It'd be great, for those of us who admire them, if they were wealthy and happy - but if Guthrie simply wanted money he would have been very successful in economics or management, most of these players are smart people. It's worth recognising that.

MissMisstreater wrote:

So no its not cool, iv poured my life and soul time and savings into making a living from this business.

I don't know how you've poured savings (or your soul for that matter) into this venture, I'm guessing it won't involve cutting heads with Steve Vai but who knows. I guess I'm saying I think we all have a tendency to wax lyrical when we're feeling sorry for ourselves and we've a tenedency to feel sorry for ourselves when shit happens.. really the best thing is to drop that shit quickly because it's not going to help you.

You've spent a lot of time transcribing something and you appear to be spending a lot of time having a tantrum rather than figuring out what you could do different next time or what can be done to further your career this time.

Figure out a graceful way of getting what you want with the help of other people and think about what they might want in return from you and I reckon you'll be happier with your lot than you are currently.

But that's just my point of view, if you don't like it that's okay, if it's annoying I'm sorry for that. But I think we're coming to a point not too dissimilar to the situations around your views on an amp maker and I deleted your posts. I would prefer ity if you cooled off and came back a winner.

I have the power!
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for starters you are wrong, i did think putting out there VERY carefully, infact i didnt want to do it but found my name being dragged through the mud on various forums because i wouldnt give them away willy nilly.

I didnt give them away willy nilly because i didnt want this to happen, but i wasnt being slated so i put them out there.

How is it that I can be the one that sits and does all of this work, i can give it away for free and still be the bad guy? I havnt asked for any money and have declined it when its been offered. So effectively what you are telling me is that i need to bend over and let people rape me?

I have spent all of my savings on moving to london, putting myself through my degree and finding the time to study enough to achieve a first. I have subsequently become a coursewriter and teacher for IGF (as is guthrie), a guitar break columnist and teacher (as is Guthrie) and a guitar international columnist. I have got lots of work transcribing for important clients in a variety of styles.

Excuse me if im aggressive about the situation. As i have said, this is my job and my rep and i can deal with that however i choose. If clients are scared off my the fact that i have a temper, great. But i suspect the fact that my track record shows that i can deliver what they want in 24 hours will be the winning factor.

My name is Levi. I can deliver anything you want better and faster for a lower price than anyone else. My experience in my field puts me at the top of my game. And i get angry and even bitterly sarcastic if you try to screw me.

Ill stick it on my CV
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLM wrote:
I thought his admitting he was wrong was pretty big of him – in the light of how people often respond to "criticism" on the internet

never have there been truer words
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, music is different from sport in that there is no competition. The idea of greatness simply comes from the spectator appreciating a person's role - no winning post or losers to compare to.

I loved being part of the monkey crew at IGF: the honesty, support and generousity of the faculty really made it a rewarding experience; I'm not going this year as I've a new son; have a great time Very Happy it might even dislodge that chip on your shoulder Wink

This is Guthrie's forum, if it's negative and irrelevant: I remove it.

When there's an online-discussion.dhenderson.com/Levi you can share your cynicism there, until then get a blog, tweet or update facebook: not here.

I have the power!
Rei Arthur Pendragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it would be better if we head back to the subject, the discussion about the transcription work itself.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:

I loved being part of the monkey crew at IGF:

I should point out that i am a course writer and teach my own class. Aswell as doing the transcriptions for LPWs for other tutors. Im not an assistant Wink
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
frankus wrote:

I loved being part of the monkey crew at IGF:

I should point out that i am a course writer and teach my own class. Aswell as doing the transcriptions for LPWs for other tutors. Im not an assistant Wink

Rolling Eyes should you, now?

I said I enjoyed working with the faculty as they were awesome people. Their lack of ego and generousity made doing an intense job a pleasure: in a very short space of time your poor handling of your insecurities has made it very hard for me to see any reason to like you.

Now I'm explaining that because little favours like 30 minutes more for your students to complete their sound-check, an extra dessert in the canteen or a thread (you appeared to be using for self-promotion) being made a sticky are FAVOURS (not your right) and you don't get them for behaving like a jerk Wink

I have the power!
Matt.Spicer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey did you make any in guitar pro or power tab?
mainly just 'sevens' really. cheers
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all are in guitar pro

they are down at the momment, they will be reposted on my website soon
Matt.Spicer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
all are in guitar pro

they are down at the momment, they will be reposted on my website soon

Is there any way I can get them from you in the meantime? Smile
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leviclay88@gmail.com
Matt.Spicer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers i emailed you.
Psychobuddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
leviclay88@gmail.com

Would you mind if I emailed you as well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: