Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Modes in Creative Guitar 1
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modes in Creative Guitar 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etj92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Modes in Creative Guitar 1 Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum and wonder whether anyone can enlighten me. I'm having real difficulty with modes in the Creative Guitar 1 book. Guthrie's statment on Page 83 3rd para of modes "you can make a natural-minor scale in any key by taking a major scale three frets higher up from its root and starting from its sixth note." has me totally baffled. I don't understand waht he means and, having looked through this section several times, am now totally confused. Can anyone offer some enlightenment
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

He's talking about the 'relative' relationship between major and natural minor scales.

A minor (A B C D E F G)
uses the same notes as (and, thus, is the relative minor to):
C major (C D E F G A B)

See how the A minor starts on the sixth degree of C major?
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, re-reading your post, this is another way of expressing the same information...

- play your C major scale (C D E F G A B)
- now play your major scale 3 frets higher (this is Eb major: Eb F G Ab Bb C D)
- starting from the sixth degree of your Eb major scale, the notes are C D Eb F G Ab Bb (same notes, just starting from a different place) which is the C natural minor scale

Formulas:
major - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
nat minor - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
etj92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back so quickly digitalkettle.
Your second post has shown me what he means. I think I was confused because most books talk about a relative minor scale being created by playing the notes of the major scale starting and ending on the 6th degree, so in your example, in the C major scale, playing on the 6th you wind up playing the A relative minor scale. If I understand it correctly, Guthrie is showing how you get a C natural minor scale from the C major scale; I'd never thought of it that way. Many thanks for your help.
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, I never looked at it that way myself either.

I think the distinction between the approaches is derived vs parallel.

C major and A minor are derived from C major (and are 'related').

C major and C minor are different structures from the same root, hence parallel.

This might help: http://www.stetina.com/lessons/modes.html
etj92

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle,
Once again thanks for the reply and thanks for the link. Looks like a very useful site.
Chilton-a-tron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

modes can be a bit daunting when you first look at it. However i think the best way of getting your head around it is taking it 'mode by mode' learning the 'formula' e.g. 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 for natural minor (Aeolian) and improvising melodies around this learning which notes give the particular mode it's distinctive flavour. In the Aeolian the b3 in particular and to a lesser extent the b7 give it a 'minor' sound but for example it is the b6 that differentiates it from the similar minor mode the Dorian scale (1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7) - so in one way it is the b6 that is a kind of 'calling card' for the aeolian. Finding out for your self the characteristics of each mode really helps understanding modes and how to use them, also i highly recommend not just playing them but actually making yourself sing them will really help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: