Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Jimi. Motherloving. Hendrix.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jimi. Motherloving. Hendrix.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill®

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Jimi. Motherloving. Hendrix. Reply with quote

Pardon my french but emphasis is required when discussing so brilliant a musician as he. Yes, yes, everyone says Hendrix is amazing, but not nearly as many actually realise that he is ACTUALLY completely fucking amazing. Not just in a 'wow, he did a lot for guitar' way, or 'wow he was a really soulful player'. He had everything (bar consistency, but drugs will do that to you) and stands up perfectly well against any guitarist before or since. And although many today might not realise or appreciate it, Hendrix's technique is among the most amazing to ever grace the instrument - easily as impressive as Shawn Lane's as far as I'm concerned (if in a completely different way).
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi... Still the one and only guiding light of the modern electric guitar... He was like Mozart: too brief of an existence, but he did all he could and set the pace and a standard for all time...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Edovinus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For myself, when listening to Band of Gypsys and Electric Ladyland, I wonder if it'll ever get more soulfull than that: pure inspiration.
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hendrix isn't like Mozart, he didn't start composing at age 5 or pen a nursery room staple like "twinkle twinkle little star".

I spent years in awe of Hendrix, I'd be loathe to put him on a pedestal too much though as he was spectacularly hit and miss.. whereas people like Jeff Beck hit consistently Jimi didnt ( Embarassed I miss consistently ).

As for soulful, I find some of his blues a tad trite or contrived.. (okay that said I find SRV the duffest of blues for soul Cool <- you wouldn't hit a guy wearin glasses would you?) I think Jimi captured the imagination of lots of players who really built upon what he did.

I have the power!
Javi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I heard Jimi I was maybe 8 years old and I was playing with my mates out in the street. It was raining... and that music came to my ears from that bar (pub) "El Nilo", and that music just paralysed me completely... I knew it was a guitar but I didn't know how that guy could make those amazing and awesome music… He is the responsible for being in this forum now! Smile
dkaplowitz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As hyped up as JH is, I think he's still underrated.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkaplowitz wrote:
As hyped up as JH is, I think he's still underrated.

And even that is an understatement Wink

And Frankus: I might just need to spank you Laughing
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whaaaaaat? It's not as if I said SRV was Hendrix for Klansmen Wink

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, SRV certainly had his less good moments. And there are Hendrix stuff that shouldn't have been released (posthumous live stuff that is, ehr, that is, released after his death, not necrogigs). I agree that you shouldn't put Hendrix too much on a pedestal -- that would be a feeble attempt, an inadequte way of trying to articulating his greatness.

Jeff Beck is also a god, yes, but he is a guitar god. Hendrix is a god of gods. I love Wired and Blow By Blow to death, but it's not even close to what Hendrix conceived musically OR guitarally. (Guitar Shop is a hideous album by the way. Totally awful!)

Hit and miss!? Shocked You're really looking for a spanking, Frankus. Ooops, I forgot who's the moderator. Sorry Embarassed Wink

When I was I kid we used to say stuff like: "Regardless of how many toy cars you'll get in your life I will always have one more than you, forever." In the case of Hendrix, this kind of argumentation is reasonable, adequate, indisputable and unrefutable. Cool He was that good. He is that important. He is that unsurpassed. Just listen. Really listen, as it was the first time you heard it. The last time I listened to Electric Ladyland and Axis all the way through, a few months ago, I choked godammit. And I've been listening to Hendrix for the last 22 years. (Not that that has to make any difference for anyone though Neutral )

And then there's "Machine Gun"... Has anyone else even come close? Seriously?

(OT: Apart maybe from MAB:s exquisite interpretations of Randy, Page and Blackmore on his latest album maybe? Mr. Green Couldn't help myself. Browsed the MAB site after ShredMeister said something about the MAB forum. The clips from the latest album are ... well, go hear for yourself. Also, his forum IS really entertaining ... (I'm sorry to pollute a Hendrix thread with this von oben comment, but I just needed to get it out of my system.).)

Am I serious? Well, maybe.

sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow By the way. This:

frankus wrote:
Whaaaaaat? It's not as if I said SRV was Hendrix for Klansmen Wink

was funny Laughing

frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
(Guitar Shop is a hideous album by the way. Totally awful!)

Agreed, I was rereading Creative Guitar 1 the other day on holiday and my jaw dropped when I read Guthrie singing praise of the album but it turns out he was singing praise of "Where were you", which I think is one of the most emotive pieces of music there is. But aside from that the rest of the album is a bit meh IMO. So yep you're right on that count Wink

sumis wrote:
Hit and miss!? Shocked You're really looking for a spanking, Frankus. Ooops, I forgot who's the moderator. Sorry Embarassed Wink

Nah that's fine, I don't wear the pants in my household either Wink

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
I was rereading Creative Guitar 1 the other day on holiday and my jaw dropped when I read Guthrie singing praise of the album but it turns out he was singing praise of "Where were you", which I think is one of the most emotive pieces of music there is. But aside from that the rest of the album is a bit meh IMO.

Yes. "Where Were You" is a jem in a pile of smelly cheese. (Bad metaphor, I know. I just want to say that the album is CHEESY.) Although the context, sound and production makes me want to hear it live, with Becks übercool strat tone. (I think I read in GP around 90 that he used a Jackson with Floyd on that song!) Ed mentioned some religious experience he had with that song on a Beck concert. I can imagine ...
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Tony Hyams: the keyboard dude on Guitar Shop was also the composer on the BBC's kids show the Herb Garden.. each animal had it's own motif and song, they were quite amusing.

http://theherbs.homestead.com/Characters.html

I have the power!
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Looks pretty cool. Is there a soundtrack availaible? Very Happy

Sorry for spoiling the thread though Embarassed I guess we haven't really said all there is to say about Hendrix just yet Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: