Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Govan on "Six String Theory"
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Govan on "Six String Theory"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spoonman00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Guthrie Govan on "Six String Theory" Reply with quote

Not quite sure whether this should be in Discussion or Media, so if it needs to be moved, feel free to move it. Smile

So I recently saw a video on Youtube of guitarist Lee Ritenour advertising his new album, entitled "Six String Theory", and how it was supposed to feature such guitarists as BB King, Slash, Steve Lukather, Joe Bonamassa, John Scofield, Vince Gill, etc. The video I saw was Ritenour's inclusion of three relatively new guitarists on the guitar scene who got their popularity mainly from Youtube: "Australia's Got Talent" prodigy Joe Robinson, "Man of Many Instruments" Andy McKee, and, of course...Guthrie Govan.

...You know what, here, just watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWChW2ilCMY

Guthrie's part is on the last bit of the video, around 5:04, but you really should watch it all, as all three guitarists are really something else. I don't know about you, but I'm highly looking forward to this album.
DLM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interview with Captain Fingers on this album gave Guthrie his first proper column inches in Germany's Gitarre&Bass, the most important German-language guitar mag.

I'm willing to stand corrected, but otherwise he's only been mentioned in relation to endorsements and the clinic he gave at Station Music in Jettingen Scheppach last year.
jordan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie and Vinnie C on the same track?! Awesome Smile
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like Cool

I have the power!
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately the track is beyond bad

it feels like they punch the solo in 2 bars late

very jarring....
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
jordan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
unfortunately the track is beyond bad

Really?!? Wow.

I just bought the track off iTunes (79p well spent). Having heard the original countless times I thought that was really good. Vinnie's drumming is insane, love the bass solo, and it's refreshing to hear a completely different solo from Guthriw on the track.

Goes to show, we all hear things differently.....
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me 5s can be summed up by a few key things

1. the bird chirp chirp rhythm
2. the main melody
3. the tapping lick that leads into the solo

i love that tapping line, 4 note per string pentatonic with rhythmic interest, its such an amazing line. Unfortunately in this version of the tune that lick is played then before the final note the solo punches in.

it sounds so unnatural i cant listen to it
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
jordan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, fair enough.
You might be doing a small dis-service to Vinnie and Tal on the track, mind Wink

(On a separate note, the production - and in particular the drum sound - sounds great to my ears)
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i feel awful for saying it, and dont get me wrong, its NOT Guthries fault

the playing is AMAZING from EVERYBODY
the tones are great
the production is fantasic

but i just cant overlook that editing Crying or Very sad

is it just me that finds it so unnatural?
sumis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
but i just cant overlook that editing Crying or Very sad

is it just me that finds it so unnatural?

well, dealing with our fav virtuoso wookie, i don't think it has to be edited at all Wink if it is, there's a good (and obvious) reason, and i couldn't care less. i certainly don't miss the lick 'as it is supposed to be' Rolling Eyes but yes, if you get anal about it ... sure, it might sound a bit "unnatural" ... but so does the rest of the solo -- as always Laughing (don't get me wrong MissM, i understand what you mean.)

i've punched in on solos in ways that have given me seven fingers and enabled light speed fifteen fret position shifts ... if it IS punched in, we all know that the chelmsford dude could copy it anyway Wink

on another note: i might be wrong, but it sounds like you can really hear the neck thru all mahogany charachter of the GGII. it really enhances the specific GG tone imho. really cool. (i'd go with a maple top though, but who'd care Laughing ).

now, wouldn't we want to hear the outtakes from the session! vinnie and GG -- how unbelievably cool is that! saw tal play a few times in nyc when she was a kid. very cool cat.

ziltoid2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutherie Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to hear Guthrie do a song I hadn't heard before, but I still thought it was cool to hear him play with Tal & Vinnie. Just got the album last night, so I've only listened to Fives once or twice on it. Didn't notice anything wrong with the take, to be honest. Great album all around.
The Danish Dude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i get this new version of fives besides Itunes and buying the whole album?

Btw this is my first post. Hello all other Guthrie lovin' people of the internet Very Happy
anth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sux to say this but im not a fan at all of the new fives. when i heard the start of the solo i thought it was an outtake.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anth wrote:
sux to say this but im not a fan at all of the new fives. when i heard the start of the solo i thought it was an outtake.

pretty badass for an outake imho.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: