Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - 2 Questions (Guthrie country theory and Slide action)
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 Questions (Guthrie country theory and Slide action)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greghowe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: 2 Questions (Guthrie country theory and Slide action) Reply with quote

Hi there's 2 things that really interest me latley
1)Guthrie didn't had a teacher and all he know is from copy what
his hearing around him and books. So how is he able to improvise
country (so good!!) without knowing the theory behind it (which scales
to use over each chords). I searched for a long time a good book that
explains country music theory (which scales to use over progression)
and I didn't find any so I'm pretty sure there isn't (unless anyone here know's one).
2)I know Guthrie is using train ticket to raise his action when he play slide
my problam is that I can't find anything to do the trick (I can't get ticket's like he have). Everything I use doesn't raise the action enough and it's buzzing and it's blocking my first frets. Can anyone help me solve this problam!
P.S sorry for my bad english lol
jordan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Questions (Guthrie country theory and Slide action) Reply with quote

greghowe wrote:
Hi there's 2 things that really interest me latley
1)Guthrie didn't had a teacher and all he know is from copy what
his hearing around him and books. So how is he able to improvise
country (so good!!) without knowing the theory behind it (which scales
to use over each chords). I searched for a long time a good book that
explains country music theory (which scales to use over progression)
and I didn't find any so I'm pretty sure there isn't (unless anyone here know's one).
2)I know Guthrie is using train ticket to raise his action when he play slide
my problam is that I can't find anything to do the trick (I can't get ticket's like he have). Everything I use doesn't raise the action enough and it's buzzing and it's blocking my first frets. Can anyone help me solve this problam!
P.S sorry for my bad english lol

1. I can assure he *does* know the theory behind it, inside and out. He's often said he's not thinking of the theory side of things whilst he's playing, but as anyone who's ever read his books or Guitar Techniques can attest, he'd have no problems passing his music theory exams. The theory behind country music is largely the same as rock and jazz. It's heavily major-key based, and the major pentatonic scale is used alot. The western-swing side of country is really just jazz music under a different guise. Players like Brent Mason and Brad Paisley could hold their own in any jazz group, I'm sure. If you're looking for a good book, try tracking down "Hot Country" by Lee Hodgson.

2. He actually uses a packet of rizlas, presumably available from any local newsagent.
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Questions (Guthrie country theory and Slide action) Reply with quote

jordan wrote:

If you're looking for a good book, try tracking down "Hot Country" by Lee Hodgson.

I totally agree with this. Hot Country is an excellent book and Lee is an excellent teacher. As testament to country players managing in a jazz band - Lee has regularly depped for Guthrie in the Fellowship and it is awesome!

jordan wrote:

2. He actually uses a packet of rizlas, presumably available from any local newsagent.

It's worth noting that these are Green rizlas, and there are probably between 20 and 30 of the papers left in the packet Wink

I have the power!
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 Questions (Guthrie country theory and Slide action) Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
jordan wrote:

It's worth noting that these are Green rizlas, and there are probably between 20 and 30 of the papers left in the packet Wink

Phew...that's exactly my spec! Wink
PGA n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, Guthrie said that he didn't have a teacher and learned everything by listening to records when he was a kid.
However, when he got older he read books about music theory.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! I got it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: