Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Which Suhr to get?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Suhr to get?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIOS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Which Suhr to get? Reply with quote

I'm finally taking the plunge and buying a suhr. I've narrowed it down to the pro series s3 and the pro series modern.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/proSeries.aspx?series=s3_s4

http://www.suhrguitars.com/proSeries.aspx?series=m_models

Any one have any suggestions of which to go for? At the moment I'm leaning towards the latter. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! Very Happy

BIOS
suhr shredelot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your budget and what you personally want out of a guitar. Have you checked out their custom guitar section by chance, for if your going to spend big bucks, why not go for the most bang? Wink
BIOS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at some custom standards but i'm doing a trade in at my local store which is the only way i can afford it. So no customised orders for me. I have to pick one out of the stock there. It comes down to the pro modern or pro s3.

Both have fixed bridges but the pro modern has a two octave neck and two humbuckers as opposed to the HSS of the s3.

I need a guitar that's going to be as versatile as possible and one that doesn't look very genre specific.

BIOS
jordan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS wrote:

I need a guitar that's going to be as versatile as possible and one that doesn't look very genre specific.

That being the case, I think the S3 wins on both levels. HSS is a really usable pickup configuration, and non-guitarists will just think you're playing a Strat, as opposed to a shred-machine.
suhr shredelot

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really up to you then. However, if I were you, I would ask Ed.
BIOS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordan wrote:

That being the case, I think the S3 wins on both levels. HSS is a really usable pickup configuration, and non-guitarists will just think you're playing a Strat, as opposed to a shred-machine.

True. I have yet to play the pro modern so ill have to see how they compare in terms of playability! Anyone here played both? Any major difference?
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS wrote:
jordan wrote:

True. I have yet to play the pro modern so ill have to see how they compare in terms of playability! Anyone here played both? Any major difference?

they will both be versatile.
none of them have fixed bridges Confused
the s3 will perhaps get some strattier tones.
if you get the s3, get the bpssc to silence the single coil pups.
the s3 is routed for hsh, so you can basically get any pickup config.
you need to decide o locking trem or non-locking.

BIOS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

May have to order that separately if its not already on the model. It's just a black plate right?

sumis wrote:

What would recommend? I always used a floyd but to be honest i don't do much crazy whammy stuff and changing strings is a pain. Are non-locking trems more stable in terms of tuning?

BIOS
BIOS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

May have to order that separately if its not already on the model. It's just a black plate right?

sumis wrote:

What would recommend? I always used a floyd but to be honest i don't do much crazy whammy stuff and changing strings is a pain. Are non-locking trems more stable in terms of tuning?

BIOS
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS wrote:
sumis wrote:

well, not 'just' a back plate. needs proper installation and calibration.

BIOS wrote:
sumis wrote:

locking trems are more stable, tuning wise. but the trems suhr use, together with the top notch setup, and making sure you know how to take care of the instrument, will give you a very stable trem system. you should try something similar out, and decide from there. go for prefered sound and feel. tuning stability will be fine, imo.

(personally, i'd go for the modern. just because that's something i need to cover, since my main rock/shred/metal axe is falling apart, and since the pro modern specs are very close to what i'd get if ordering a custom axe. the s3 would be more of a compromise for me, and i already have a standard in that vein.)

BIOS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:

locking trems are more stable, tuning wise. but the trems suhr use, together with the top notch setup, and making sure you know how to take care of the instrument, will give you a very stable trem system. you should try something similar out, and decide from there. go for prefered sound and feel. tuning stability will be fine, imo.

The non-locking trem is alot easier to tune though right? I mean is that it's main benefit? I'm looking to move away from a Floyd as Im sick of tuning/setup issues. I want a guitar that i can just do a quick tune and then play and one that will stay in tune.

I'll be trying out the modern this coming week. Can't wait to check it out!

BIOS
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIOS wrote:
The non-locking trem is alot easier to tune though right? I mean is that it's main benefit? I'm looking to move away from a Floyd as Im sick of tuning/setup issues. I want a guitar that i can just do a quick tune and then play and one that will stay in tune.

well, there will be compromises. a standard, two-post trem will be easier to tune and setup. but once the floyd is tuned, and as long as the setup is right, it will basically STAY in tune. it's not hard to take care of and setup a locking trem ...

the two-post will stay in tune just fine, if not going vai (or henderson) on it, but will need more frequent tuning. live, i tune in between every song, regardless of trem type -- so do many high profile players ...

sound and feel are different. if that seems less important, sure, the non locking trem is more rewarding to maintenance and setup, imho.

BIOS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input guys. I went with a modern m3 with a non locking trem. Best guitar i have had the privilege of owning by some way and somewhat cheaper than the last guitar i owned which says alot about the craftsmanship of suhr guitars. I'm definitely going to look to make a custom order as soon as i have the spare cash Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: