Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's Rig For the Tone Mecca Shows Jan 18-20
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's Rig For the Tone Mecca Shows Jan 18-20
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Guthrie's Rig For the Tone Mecca Shows Jan 18-20 Reply with quote

Well, the rig that Guthrie will play here during his upcoming shows here Jan 18-20 is as good as finished:

And here are more photos with lots of close-ups of what has come to be known as the Double G Rig.

http://community.webshots.com/album/246451195kvgkIg

Guthrie is bringing over the Fishman Blender pedal and we still need to get the Axess BS2 on the front behind the Blender as start of the chain, but besides that, I'd say this rig is finished and sounding unbelievable! Guthrie himself will flip when he plugs into this rig.

The complete signal chain:

Suhr Standard Root Beer
Evidence Audio Lyric HG TRS-to-TRS cable
Fishman Blender Pedal with Piezo output going direct to board
Axess BS2 Buffer
Mooger Fooger Ring Modulator
Automagic Silver Machine Wah
Guyatone WR3 Auto Wah/Envelope Filter
Menatone JAC Compressor
Barber Direct Drive SS Overdrive/Distortion
Digitech Whammy
Ernie Ball Volume Pedal

Cornford Hellcat 35w Head

Effects Loop Signal Chain:

ISP Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal (BTW, this pedal is awesome!)
Analog Man Clone Chorus
T-Rex Replica Digital Delay

Speaker out of the Hellcat is sent to a Palmer PDI-09 Load/Direct Box. The thru signal goes to the Cornford 4x12 underneath the Hellcat head and the balanced line out signal goes out into the rack.

The amp head, the Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner, and the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 are connected to the Furman Power Factor Pro line filter box on top of the rack. The Hellcat head, the rack processors, the VHT 2/50/2 power amp, and the Pedal Power 2 are all connected with the Evidence Source power cords.

So from the Hellcat/Palmer box, the signal goes to the rack in the following order:

TC Electronic TC2290 Digital Delay
Eventide Reverb 2016
TC Electronic TC1210 Spatial Expander + Stereo Chorus/Flanger
VHT 2/50/2 Power Amp

From the VHT, the stereo wet signal is sent to two open-back Cornford 1x12 cabs placed on opposite ends of the stage sitting on Enhancer amp/cabinet stands to throw the wet signal up in the air while providing more volume and lows/mids.

We haven't put the mics in place yet, but the "dry" 4x12 will be mic'd with a Shure SM-57 and the wet 1x12 cabs will be mic'd with the Sennheiser E609's. It goes without saying that all cables are Evidence Audio Lyric HG's from start to finish and all the speaker cables are EA Siren as well.

Guthrie playing through this is going to be a true mind-blower!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, and he will also have the Boomerang in the chain - I'd gather behind the Ernie Ball volume pedal and in front of the amp.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
zea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ! can't wait till that date ! Very Happy
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed, talk about "foreplay" before the real action... Shocked Laughing Laughing
Edovinus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, sweet rig! I'm glad the NAMM shows will be well documented.
frankus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, sometimes I wonder if you're some kinda L. Ron Hoover character, like in "Joe's Garage" Laughing and we're all just latent appliance fetishists Wink come to worship at your Church of Appliantology.

And I don't mean that in a bad way.. think: amiable incoherent drunk rather than escaped mental patient Wink

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Ed, sometimes I wonder if you're some kinda L. Ron Hoover character, like in "Joe's Garage" Laughing and we're all just latent appliance fetishists Wink come to worship at your Church of Appliantology.

And I don't mean that in a bad way.. think: amiable incoherent drunk rather than escaped mental patient Wink

L. Ron Hubbard, you mean? Laughing Well, it is the Tone Mecca, you know? Wink I take your comment as a complement! I must be doing my job well, although hanging out here is more for fun and the sake of Guthrie than anything else. Yeah, the Church of Tone and GAS! Twisted Evil Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, hung out with Guthrie for several hours today at a rehearsal studio in North Hollywood where Asia is preparing for the European tour. They were just setting up, so I didn't really get to see them play, but I'll probably pay another visit later in the week to show Guthrie a few more guitars. Will keep you posted.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ed, what'd be the retail value of this rig? i'm sure it's easily 5 figures, but come on and shock us! Shocked
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, very nice

Shocked
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
L. Ron Hubbard, you mean? Laughing Well, it is the Tone Mecca, you know? Wink I take your comment as a complement! I must be doing my job well, although hanging out here is more for fun and the sake of Guthrie than anything else. Yeah, the Church of Tone and GAS! Twisted Evil Laughing

http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/albums/Joe_s_Garage/10.html

L. Ron Hoover is the founder of the Church of Appliantology, in Zappa's Joe's Garage...

Basically he convinces people to enhance their sexual proclivities with modified home appliances, such as a cross between a hoover and a chrome piggy bank with marital aids stuck all over it... 'coming out' as a latent appliance fetishist, involves going into the closet rather than coming out of it (that's where they live. So if you want an appliance to love you, you'll have to go in there and get you one).

I found the comparison amusing, in as much that Joe (the protagonist) is a guitarist, and you're a guru of electric devices that run off standard mains voltage.. and Matthias Ekluhnd has a bandoleer (aledgedly) for the vibrators he uses to play guitar... and and... well I listen to the tune about 4-5 times a day at the moment (not sure why) and I.. think Andy Warhol took up residence in my imagination and keeps churning up some wierd stuff Shocked and frankly I think talking about it help Wink

I have the power!
dave...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incidently alexkhan, do you know what date the guys are flying over and settling in to their hotels? will they be at the bassment this thursday or are they going to be packing up ready to fly over? i was hoping to go see them again...

thanks for your help.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
so ed, what'd be the retail value of this rig? i'm sure it's easily 5 figures, but come on and shock us! Shocked

It'd roughly be in the $23~24K range. Guthrie certainly deserves to be able to play through a rig like that! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave... wrote:
incidently alexkhan, do you know what date the guys are flying over and settling in to their hotels? will they be at the bassment this thursday or are they going to be packing up ready to fly over? i was hoping to go see them again...

thanks for your help.

Hey Dave, they are arriving here on Jan 15, so I'm assuming that they're leaving sometime on Jan 14. Not sure if they'll be playing the Bassment with a fill-in for Guthrie on Jan 13. Paul Cornford advised me that he's arriving here with Jan 14 with Jamie Humphreys. I think it'd be best for you to contact the Bassment to find out the schedule.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
shredrulez wrote:

It'd roughly be in the $23~24K range. Guthrie certainly deserves to be able to play through a rig like that! Wink

$24K? is that all? Wink Laughing can't wait to see him play through it! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: