Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - GG Signature Rasmus
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GG Signature Rasmus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hagerman222

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: GG Signature Rasmus Reply with quote

I've been wanting a Suhr for quite some time now and I've decided to go with a Rasmus for now, seeing the great reviews that have been written. I got a quick chance at a Guthrie clinic to play the GG Rasmus prototype, man what a solid guitar. I've reserved one at a local music store and I'm wondering if there are any more details/pictures of how the final model will look. Anyone hear anything?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll get a gallery up with a bunch of photos of that prototype soon. Very Happy They're expected to start shipping in August.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the official photos:

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#101639

Specs:

Modern
African Mahogany 2-piece body
African Mahogany neck with Rosewood fingerboard
Modern Elliptical .800-.850 neck shape
16" radius
Black Tusq nut
Jumbo nickel frets
Gotoh 510 2-post with solid saddles and steel block
Ping locking tuners
Vol, Tone, 5-way (same wiring scheme as Suhr GG), push-pull to split neck HB
Chrome hardware
SSV neck humbucker - black
ML single-coil - black
SSH+ bridge humbucker - black
Natural Satin finish
Mother of Pearl dots
GG signature to be silk-screened on the back of headstock
Suhr Deluxe Gig-Bag

US list: $1899, estimated street price: $1399

Estimated shipping date: September 1, 2011
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
guitar989

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was praying this guitar would have the tremel-no. how hard would it be to put one in after i buy one..... is it really that much more expensive to include? what about adding 100 dollars to the price for the tremol-no?
frankus

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be an issue with the positioning of the screws for the trem claw.

I swapped out the old trem claw for the tremel-no on my custom classic and the tremel-no sits a little prone of the body now so a back-plate is out of the question, and those stupid thumbscrews stick out further.

This might just mean it's harder to replace on Suhr Customs fitted out for a standard trem-claw, but I thought I'd mention it as something to be wary of Wink

I have the power!
guitar989

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so your saying the only problem is that the thumb screws stick out to far to have a back plate on????? that doesn't bother me at all really... unless of course the guitar presses hard into my body and the bridge is moved a few millimeters
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitar989 wrote:
so your saying the only problem is that the thumb screws stick out to far to have a back plate on????? that doesn't bother me at all really... unless of course the guitar presses hard into my body and the bridge is moved a few millimeters

If you've got the thumbscrews in, it's likely that they'll be loose some of the time (otherwise you'd lock it down with the grubscrews).
If they're proud, they'll rub on your beergut and are more likely to fall out Wink
Chinkee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since I am a Berklee student I remember hearing that we get some sort of discount through Matt's Music. Does that apply for the Rasmus GG sig as well?
Chinkee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since I am a Berklee student I remember hearing that we get some sort of discount through Matt's Music. Does that apply for the Rasmus GG sig as well?
hagerman222

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pre-ordered one from Matt's Music and they gave me a 10% discount. Discounts on the Suhrs are a bit more.
Chinkee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post (I only pressed submit once? whatever). So Rasmus' only get a 10% discount if I am a Berklee Student? Hrm
Scias

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this guitar at guitarguitar Edinburgh at the weekend. Very impressed that the mahogany tone is very present and recognisable as being very similar to guthries tone. Some people say it's not worth the 1200 GBP. But I see myself buying one at some point. It's more about the fact you can't find that tone anywhere else, and that alone justifies the value of the guitar.

About the Tremol-no, I wasn't thinking about the floating bridge when I tuned it down to Drop-D, but nevertheless, the other strings didn't change pitch enough to be painfully out of tune, so I didn't say to myself 'hang on somethings wrong here' like I would have done if it was an Ibanez with a floyd rose. (I'm currently uploading a video to youtube, it's taking all day lol but watch this space)

One of the most instantly likeable things about this guitar when you first hold it, is the feeling of the mahogany that the neck is made from. The subtle finish (or lack of finish) is really my thing since I've tried certain acoustic guitars by Cort and Tanglewood. After playing these and you go back to a well-finished guitar, you notice the finish is sticky compared to the smooth wood on this Rasmus.

Unfortunately I immediately tried out a Suhr Modern after this guitar, and the difference in tone was noticably better, especially in low frequencies. However, the Rasmus GG signature I might prefer to buy for a few reasons. The price obviously, and the looks! That guitar has far superior looks to any of the Suhr Moderns with flame tops, in my opinion. As I've said, I love that 'unvarnished' natural wood look and feel on a guitar.

Edit: My test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94dGcdmmYRk&feature=plcp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: