Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Great Guthrie News from Guitar Techniques!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Guthrie News from Guitar Techniques!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bowks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Great Guthrie News from Guitar Techniques! Reply with quote

After constant badgering by many members of the GT forums, it's been announced today that Issue 110 of Guitar Techniques will include a transcription of Wonderful Slippery Thing, with backing track!

Very Happy
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they getting Jamie Humphries to transcribe it? That'd be amusing Wink

I have the power!
Bowks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
Are they getting Jamie Humphries to transcribe it? That'd be amusing Wink

Actually, you're doing it! Did you not see the memo from Kim?! Laughing
stratoskier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS good news. I had never heard of Guitar Techniques until I got interested in Guthrie and, (mostly to get his articles) I subscribed last month. I got my first issue on Friday and I'm very impressed. It differs from the other guitar mags I get (Guitar Player and Guitar One) in that the emphasis really is on technique. The CD is a definite plus. So I'd recommend GT highly to all my stateside comrades that also may not be familiar with this mag.

Hmm... can we expect that the backing track for WST will be included on the CD? Sure hope so.
Bert
stratoskier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, just reread the first post and see that it will include the back track. Very cool...
jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the transcription, but purely out of interest:
How many of this groups readers think they'll be able to get close to playing the full piece?
I've seen Guthrie play it on the DVD, and it has some frightening licks. Personally, I'll give it a good go but I'm not holding out much hope!
Good luck everyone Smile
Jordan.
stratoskier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jordan, you're right of course. There are some sections where, with some work, I'll probably get pretty spot on, but a lot more where I'll bluff or fumble through, at least initially. But I'll keep hammering on it. Always good to set the bar high, eh?

I just watched the DVD again (WST is Track #2, isn't it? -- I thought I had that right) and I see 3 really terrifying fast sections, a couple of others that will be new terrain for me but doable (like whatever the slide is doing a few frets above the fretting hand -- haven't done that before), and a lot of other juicy parts that will be fun to work on. Plenty of nuance going on in there. It'll definitely be a challenge, but the beauty is that no one else around here will have heard the tune (yet!), so whatever parts I can pull off will be sure to amaze.
panda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I've been trying to learn it from listening to the Cornford sampler cd for the last couple of months. It's going to be a real long-term project but I think I'll manage a close approximation eventually.
I'm looking forward to issue 110 rather a lot now.

Oh, and hello
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone could play it with some practice (some more than others, obviously, hehe). I'll probably give it a shot to flex my ear muscles some, Lol Laughing Some of those ripping licks're gonna be kind of hard to transcribe Wink
carnflab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait for this magazine!

I worked out like the first minute, the whole jazzy bit a bit ago, but I can't be arsed working out the whole thing, it'd take forever, so i can wait for the tab, plus we get a backing track, weeeeeheeeeeee.
PaulGilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: erotic cakes Reply with quote

is there any transcription on erotic cakes?? damn that song is really good........hope guthrie can give out the transcriptions
James W

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

110? Which month is that?

What one are we on now?

... Love James XXX
Alun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ( although I may well be wrong) the Jimmy Page cover is 108 so we're two away. Apparently the next issue includes lessons on playing faster by Guthrie. Very Happy

Alun
Schamby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: New Guthrie Fan Looking for DVD Reply with quote

jordan wrote:

I've seen Guthrie play it on the DVD, and it has some frightening licks.

Hi Jordan and everybody!

I'm a new Guthrie fan thanks to ToneMerchants and I'm trying to get my hands on as much GG stuff as I can. I have Silent Nation and Aura (great stuff), and I'm thinking of picking up the Asia: Live in America DVD, too. However, I'm really into his "personal" playing--what little of it I've heard so far. Can one of you please clue me in to which DVD you are talking about? I'd love to actually see him playing some of this great stuff!

Thanks!

Schamby (or Steve Cool )
stratoskier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countdown --- got issue 109 yesterday. That means I better start warming up my fingers now, only a few weeks left. Or maybe I should tackle his "Play Faster... TODAY" article in issue 108. I'm scared of what's coming though, knowing I shall be humbled. Although I did do a more-or-less credible job with his John 5 "Sugarfoot Rag" thingy -- not perfect yet, but it did earn a lot of weird stares and laughs last weekend. Hmm, if I actually learn to play "Slippery" or any remote semblance thereof, I will die a happy picker.
Bert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: