Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Let's talk Sweaty Knockers !
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk Sweaty Knockers !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bender83

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Let's talk Sweaty Knockers ! Reply with quote

What a beautiful track.The riffage is just out of this world.Soundwise i was kind of dissapointed.I dig the whole no overdub idea but to my ears sounded a little bit 'empty'(not the best word to describe it).Also i miss Guthrie's Cornfords.Can't wait for the full release!!!!

Fire away Wink
sumis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally, i love the production. we've become used to imho overproduced, very compressed and saturated aural landscapes. my gripe with erotic cakes was the (according to my taste) too layered and wet production (and that's still pretty open and nice).

it's also a question of the three instruments occupying their own distinct eq spectrum, with guthrie's guitar tone really enhancing the high midrange (as always).

i assume we'll hear more whacky tones in other tunes, which will make the sonic spectrum a bit more complex than here. but i'm fine this far.

it's like steve albini produced a shred album. (which is something i've been dreaming of.)

i'm so used to listening to wayne krantz live shows, that this sounds really luscious and produced to me Wink

excellent. just excellent. not many players (or trio arrangements) would stand the test of an aural image like this.

dynamics is obviously a HUGE part of this band, and that takes a very naked sound imho.

with so much crazy playing going on (marco!), everything needs to be very distinct imho.

recent andy timmons might be a tempting reference here, but his guitar tone is really wet, smooth, spacious and adapted to different band interplay. (great though!)

greenfingers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the sound as well, To me it sounds like the rough mix

Jan Cyrka where are you!
bender83

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
personally, i love the production. we've become used to imho overproduced, very compressed and saturated aural landscapes. my gripe with erotic cakes was the (according to my taste) too layered and wet production (and that's still pretty open and nice).

it's also a question of the three instruments occupying their own distinct eq spectrum, with guthrie's guitar tone really enhancing the high midrange (as always).

i assume we'll hear more whacky tones in other tunes, which will make the sonic spectrum a bit more complex than here. but i'm fine this far.

it's like steve albini produced a shred album. (which is something i've been dreaming of.)

i'm so used to listening to wayne krantz live shows, that this sounds really luscious and produced to me Wink

excellent. just excellent. not many players (or trio arrangements) would stand the test of an aural image like this.

dynamics is obviously a HUGE part of this band, and that takes a very naked sound imho.

with so much crazy playing going on (marco!), everything needs to be very distinct imho.

recent andy timmons might be a tempting reference here, but his guitar tone is really wet, smooth, spacious and adapted to different band interplay. (great though!)

I don't think that a more full production would harm that live feeling.
I mean if you want to replicate what the greats did decades ago it is fine by me.But using only one guitar(mainly) and two amps seems more of a promotion record than anything else.
teddygorm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me, I think the sound production is very refreshing.
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenfingers wrote:
I don't like the sound as well, To me it sounds like the rough mix

Jan Cyrka where are you!

might very well not be a final mix. if it sounds 'rough' though, it says more about current conventions and the specific listeners expectations. if there emerges another final mix that sounds like a devin townshend album, or satisfies current production trends, i wouldn't change my mind.

as for cyrka, i hope he's far away from these guys! (no offense, cyrka is cool!)

bender83 wrote:
I don't think that a more full production would harm that live feeling.
I mean if you want to replicate what the greats did decades ago it is fine by me.But using only one guitar(mainly) and two amps seems more of a promotion record than anything else.

i rest my case Rolling Eyes

for some of us, there are many ways to skin a cat, countless of them valid and beautiful. others might feel better confined to a single method of flaying.

i feel that the sound on "sweaty knockers" (rough, temporary or not) is congenial with the performances and over all vibe expressed.

Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not a fan of the verb on the drums Shocked

Endorsed by:
Port City Amps
Diamond Pedals
Wyres Strings
Lava Cables
Two Notes
Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that said... i have still listened to the tune like 60 times Cool

Endorsed by:
Port City Amps
Diamond Pedals
Wyres Strings
Lava Cables
Two Notes
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shogun wrote:
i'm not a fan of the verb on the drums Shocked

yeah, they sound like they're recorded in a ... room Cool

Shogun wrote:
that said... i have still listened to the tune like 60 times Cool

there ya go Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: