Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - reactions to guthrie's show at the tone mecca
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reactions to guthrie's show at the tone mecca
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

is guthrie govan the best electric guitar player in the world?
yes
90%
 90%  [ 127 ]
no
5%
 5%  [ 8 ]
there may be somebody in their bedroom fiddling away who could be better
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
wasn't there
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 141

alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Thursday video shoot will probably take about a month to be edited and we will send the footage over to Guthrie and the band mates to review and pick out which tracks they want to keep for the official DVD. I have a feeling that this will be more of a Fellowship DVD with some EC tracks thrown in as "bonus" material. They just weren't quite on for the EC set - could have been the cameras or the frazzlement resulting from the first day of NAMM, whatever. But they quickly recovered and played an absolutely smokin' Fellowship set that I'm sure will all make the final DVD.

There were a lot of camcorders going through various nights, including the Bumblefoot night and the jam, so I'm sure we'll see the footage surface on the Internet over the next week or two. Stay tuned!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that Guthrie has finally been receiving some well-deserved recognition. Now it's just all a matter of time before Guthrie's popularity really explodes. Twisted Evil
kabuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that Guthrie has finally been receiving some well-deserved recognition. Now it's just all a matter of time before Guthrie's popularity really explodes. Twisted Evil

Shawn is smiling, and Allan is scared...

GG is about to overthrow everything we know.

Ed- sorry I couldn't be there but my boy BluesBitch (Paul) has been been reporting back daily. I can only promise you that I will be there next year, by hook or crook.

Razz
Edovinus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ed, I hope you survived the last week and you get the chance to relax a bit now. Looking forward too seeing some new footage. Cool that you had the opportunity to compare a whole bunch of guitar players during the Bumblefoot blues jam, but I could have easily predicted your conclusion and agree with it as well: there's something special about this boy Wink
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:

Ed, you said elsewhere that you were gonna get Guthrie to do a piece or to on the fretless, did that happen and is there any video of it?

One more question, what is the progress on Guthrie's CD?

Guthrie only got to use the Surfreter on the first show on "Erotic Cakes". I'm not sure if anyone got that performance on tape. It was, obviously, pretty amazing.

Seems the CD has gone through another set-back and that the drums will have to be re-recorded or something like that. I'm not sure why it's taking so long and Guthrie is not the producer/engineer, so he can only go by what they are telling him. It's definitely a bit frustrating. Now the word is to get it out within the first-half of this year.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
zea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised hi Ed, are you doing the dvd of Ron too ? on Saturday night?

It was a great show man, I'm glad that I was there.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kabuki wrote:
Carlo wrote:

Shawn is smiling, and Allan is scared...

GG is about to overthrow everything we know.

Ed- sorry I couldn't be there but my boy BluesBitch (Paul) has been been reporting back daily. I can only promise you that I will be there next year, by hook or crook.

Razz

Yes, Shawn would be proud of Guthrie and be smiling down from above. Guthrie is surely a worthy Shawn disciple. Every now and then, GG would tear off these Shawn-inspired lines that, I swear, were on par with some of the best playing I've heard of Shawn: simply incredible.

I don't think Allan would be "scared" as what GG does and Allan does are so worlds apart. GG has the highest respect for Allan and Shawn... He also loves Scott Henderson, Eric Johnson, Bumblefoot, Mattias IA Eklundh, Greg Howe, Pat Metheny, Jeff Beck, Paco DeLucia, Scotty Anderson, Brent Mason, John McLaughlin, Jimi (of course), and so many others. He's also digging new up-and-coming guys like Joel Hoekstra and Scott Jones who GG met here at the shop.

I've spent a whole week every day with Guthrie and spent dozens of hours talking with him at the shop, over meals, being stuck in a van in traffic, etc., and I've come to really respect Guthrie's vast knowledge of music, his self-effacing sense of humor, his love of good music and the arts, his genuine good-heartedness and loving nature.

Yes, you need to be here next year at all costs! The thing I sense about Guthrie is that he's just getting better and better. Shocked But he's not in competition with anybody else, only himself...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whew... okay, i was there from wed thru sat and my head is still spinning from all of it. that was simply overwhelming. the intensity was just mindblowing. ed, i don't how you handled the whole thing. man, it's going to take weeks for me to make some sense out of it all. i don't have the words to describe it. sick doesn't begin to describe this guy...

i didn't get to see the opening tuesday night show, but i agree with ed that wed was overall guthrie's best although friday's condensed set was pretty friggin' close. it did seem that guthrie and the band were more loose and relaxed wed compared to the other nights. as sterling said, it's like, Shocked Shocked Shocked "what the..." i mean, i had an inkling of what to expect from the dvds, the clips, etc., but FUCK! Shocked (pardon my french), you just get overwhelmed and can't help but break out in laughter after a while... it's like, "no... tell me he didn't do that. that's just not right!"

and what a cool down-to-earth guy guthrie is. ed is right. he is as humble as he is talented. i can't give a clear-headed review of the shows yet. i'm still trying to recover... Mad
jonpenfold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am lucky enough to have recieved lessons from guthrie when at college, i have witnessed some awesome players in my time but none that have even come close to what guthrie does, i have caught a few ec sets over here in the uk too and believe me they just get better and better. if you think guthrie is great live you should hear some of the stuff he comes out with when he thinks nobody is listening, the guitar players at college used to cue outside the room when he was warming up just to catch a quick listen. truly awesome player who deserves more recognition. Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zea wrote:
Surprised hi Ed, are you doing the dvd of Ron too ? on Saturday night?

It was a great show man, I'm glad that I was there.

No, the video crew that was there that night was for Nick Sterling. They were there to make a TV documentary for Nick, but he really didn't end up with much time, so I don't know what's going to come out of the footage. Those people weren't interested in anything else but Nick, so I don't think I could get the footage from them or if they even took any footage of the Bumblefoot show.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpenfold wrote:
i am lucky enough to have recieved lessons from guthrie when at college, i have witnessed some awesome players in my time but none that have even come close to what guthrie does, i have caught a few ec sets over here in the uk too and believe me they just get better and better. if you think guthrie is great live you should hear some of the stuff he comes out with when he thinks nobody is listening, the guitar players at college used to cue outside the room when he was warming up just to catch a quick listen. truly awesome player who deserves more recognition. Very Happy

Yeah, some of the best stuff Guthrie did here last week was when they were rehearsing. He pulled off some amazing stuff during rehearsals that he never took to the shows, including a ballad featuring slide work that was very reminiscent of Jeff Beck, Sonny Landreth, and Derek Trucks. It was hauntingly beautiful and I wished that he would work that in to one of the shows but he never did.

Another crazy thing he did during rehearsals was playing the "Rhode Island Shred" at different tempos and eventually working it up until it was something like twice the speed of normal. Shocked It was ridiculous!!! It sounded like the music was speeded up by a machine and Guthrie executed those runs with immaculate precision. It was so fast that it sounded cartoonish. He'll always find new ways to absolutely blow you away.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
fingerprinz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He pulled off some amazing stuff during rehearsals that he never took to the shows, including a ballad featuring slide work that was very reminiscent of Jeff Beck, Sonny Landreth, and Derek Trucks. It was hauntingly beautiful and I wished that he would work that in to one of the shows but he never did.

Actually, Ed...they DID play that tune during one of the shows...it was either Thurs. or Fri. night's performance (I think it was Thurs....we'll find out when we see the footage from the DVD shoot)...I remember it because I never watched when they were rehearsing that particular tune, and when they started playing it at the actual performance Iwanted to see if Guthrie was actually using the slide...but I couldn't see past the crowd in the doorway. I think you were in the lobby speaking to someone at the time, so you probably missed it...

I did hear most of it...and yes, it is a very haunting tune...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fingerprinz wrote:
Quote:
He pulled off some amazing stuff during rehearsals that he never took to the shows, including a ballad featuring slide work that was very reminiscent of Jeff Beck, Sonny Landreth, and Derek Trucks. It was hauntingly beautiful and I wished that he would work that in to one of the shows but he never did.

Actually, Ed...they DID play that tune during one of the shows...it was either Thurs. or Fri. night's performance (I think it was Thurs....we'll find out when we see the footage from the DVD shoot)...I remember it because I never watched when they were rehearsing that particular tune, and when they started playing it at the actual performance Iwanted to see if Guthrie was actually using the slide...but I couldn't see past the crowd in the doorway. I think you were in the lobby speaking to someone at the time, so you probably missed it...

I did hear most of it...and yes, it is a very haunting tune...

Oh yeah, I do remember now, but it wasn't played in the same manner as how he played it during rehearsals. It was the Thu night show. I believe that tune will definitely make the DVD. He didn't insert the rolling paper pack underneath the strings to lift them that night for some reason.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they happen to play Bad Asteroid at any of the concerts?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
Did they happen to play Bad Asteroid at any of the concerts?

Yup, they played it every night on the Erotic Cakes set. That's a cool tune.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: