Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Other Great Players' Comments On Guthrie
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Other Great Players' Comments On Guthrie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Other Great Players' Comments On Guthrie Reply with quote

Okay, this is one of the lost threads that I have to revive.

Quite a few great players are now well aware of Guthrie and it's interesting to note what they have said about Guthrie and his playing. Many have seen the DVDs and Guthrie playing live shows during NAMM week or at NAMM over at the Cornford booth. Here are some comments that I've been able to gather so far, but I'm sure the list will grow longer and longer as time passes by.

Greg Howe

Greg saw Guthrie play here on Jan 20 and 21. Being the very high-profile player he is, the audience members were quick to jump on Greg and ask, "So, Greg, what did you think of Guthrie?" Here are some reported comments:

"Time for me to start practicing!"

"I feel like I've been beaten down!"

"Just amazing. When I was watching him - I was saying to myself - He did what? I never thought of that? What did he just do? No I don't think I can do that?.......etc......"

Scott Henderson

I was talking with Scott on Jan 23 about the week's happenings and mentioned to him that Greg Howe was over. Scott commented, "Yeah, Greg's a great player." And then, he said:

"And I like Guthrie a lot. He's a great player. Amazing chops."

Dweezil Zappa

Dweezil is already one of Guthrie's biggest fans.

"He is so articulate that it's bizarre."

"It's pretty amazing that he could change styles so comfortably."

"I don't think I've been this excited by a new player since EVH!"

Scott Jones

A monster player himself, Scott posted the following on various message boards.

"Govan is the next player to make history with the instrument....he is so off the planet, and beyond the instrument, that I've never seen anything like it."

Joel Hoekstra

Joel was around for the festivities and his gig on Jan 23 and got to meet Guthrie and catch part of the Jan 21 show.

"Guthrie is awesome. I was watching him that night (Jan 21) and I was thinking, 'Man, it'd be nice to be able to do that kind of stuff!' I wish I could do it, but I just don't have that kind of chops."

Bumblefoot

Mr. Bumblefoot is a big fan of Guthrie's (as Guthrie is a big fan of Bumblefoot) and he had this to say on a thread about Guthrie on the Petrucci Forum:

"Guthrie is my favorite."

Bumblefoot's sidekick monster kid guitarist, Ben Litchman, said:

"Guthrie is so good that it's EVIL!"

John 5 was over for the Jan 21 show and it seemed that he was specifically over to check out Guthrie. He seemed to enjoy it a lot and people could tell that he was impressed, but I don't have any quotes that I could share. That's about all I've got for now. Will add to this list as more accolades come in. It'll probably end up being a very long thread.

Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredfusion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great Guthrie is getting some respect among great players.

Gregs jaw was dropping that night he saw him.

Now he needs to realease his solo album!
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the list will only get bigger for sure Twisted Evil
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest celebrity to discover Guthrie is Matt Scannell of Vertical Horizon. He got in touch with Noel at TM about getting the DVD's after Matt heard about Guthrie from John Suhr. Here are some comments:

This is after seeing the video clips on the TM site:

"It's Matt Scannell from Vertical Horizon here. I was talking with John Suhr about Guthrie Govan and I found my way over to your site. I was looking at the clips of him playing at your store and I just wet myself. That guy is BEYOND stupidly good. I'd like to buy the DVD of the performance. How should I do this? I mean, come ON!! Amazingly inspiring guitar playing."

And the following after he got the DVDs:

"Thanks SO much for sending out these DVD's. Guthrie is just one of the most incredible talents I've seen.  It's breathtaking... and the best part is I got them just in time to take them with me back out on the road.  I'm in Albany tonight and I'm all fired up to get back to the hotel and get schooled by him!  That bastard!!!!"

Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson was over at Suhr's and I was showing him snippets of the Jan 20 show DVD which is not being released because Guthrie just wasn't all that happy with his playing. I skipped around the DVD to the solos by Guthrie and Scott watched and listened with a good deal of interest. Those solos are posted on the Media section.

Scott really dug Guthrie's lines on Headin' Home. Scott's comments were: "I like his lines." "He's so precise." "He sure has chops." Then I skipped over to the solo on Hide and Seek. "He makes difficult things look so easy. Those licks and lines aren't easy stuff to pull off." Then I skipped over to Guthrie's ferocious shredding on Lucky Seven. "Look at him pick. I couldn't even get near to picking like that."

Scott's a real humble down-to-earth guy as well, although he tends to be somewhat more outspoken than Guthrie or Greg - Scott's comments about KennyG can attest to that! Laughing When I told Scott that Guthrie is a huge fan of his and that Guthrie really looks up to him, Scott just looked down and said, "I don't why he would..." And he was very genuine about it. He's so self-critical.

I feel real fortunate to be able to talk and work with Scott, Greg, and Guthrie on a regular basis. The most refreshing thing is that they're just real pure musicians with no egos whatsoever to speak of and who are so humble when they're all really amazing monster players.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Strings

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if players find it disconcerting having their stuff played better than they did by Guthrie on the Guitar Techniques CD - if they ever get to hear it. Smile

I often found that. Couple of times with Satriani, I thought: "this track sounds really good...I don't remember this"; dug out the CD and thought "no it isn't, it just sounds better when Guthrie plays it." Personal taste, you understand, but I find Guthrie's pick attack much cleaner and crisper than Satriani's, which sets my nerves on edge.

PS

Boss! Just thought, this post might be poor diplomacy if obtaining contributions from the likes of J Satriani et al - if so move it, delete it, deny all knowledge. Smile

Strings
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: