Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Italian interview of GG? Help please
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italian interview of GG? Help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al9

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Italian interview of GG? Help please Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first post on here. I lurked, got the cut of most people's jib, and found you all to be lovely people. (enough grovelling?) Wink

Pleased to be here and posting. The reason for this post is that I found a badly clipped interview of Guthrie where, when you hear him speak, he's addressing (by deduction on my part) some pretty important things that would massively benefit my guitar playing - and I'm sure many others.

The thing is, I really, really, really want to know where I can obtain the full interview.
Here's the tantalising one I've found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_665063&feature=iv&src_vid=BV9rfWX4aow&v=M10Dhe5Caow#t=10s

Any clues please?
Scias

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, no other part of that lesson is on the internet (except those annotation links near the end of the video).

It might be worth sending the uploader of that video a PM asking them about it.

I understand how interesting and helpful that lesson is, however, I believe Guthrie has taught these things several times, some clips are on youtube. For example the 'pirate modes' video is helpful.

Is it a particular technique he shows there you want to know more about? Or do you want a lesson including everything he has taught there? For example, if you are interested in the legato hammerons from nowhere, searching for holdsworthian legato could help.

As far as full lessons, if you can't get that full video, Guthrie Govans' Creative Guitar 1 and Creative Guitar 2 books have improved my playing no end.

If you can give me more info on what you would like to learn, I might be able to help more Smile
Al9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scias wrote:
As far as I know, no other part of that lesson is on the internet (except those annotation links near the end of the video).

It might be worth sending the uploader of that video a PM asking them about it.

I understand how interesting and helpful that lesson is, however, I believe Guthrie has taught these things several times, some clips are on youtube. For example the 'pirate modes' video is helpful.

Is it a particular technique he shows there you want to know more about? Or do you want a lesson including everything he has taught there? For example, if you are interested in the legato hammerons from nowhere, searching for holdsworthian legato could help.

As far as full lessons, if you can't get that full video, Guthrie Govans' Creative Guitar 1 and Creative Guitar 2 books have improved my playing no end.

If you can give me more info on what you would like to learn, I might be able to help more Smile

Wow. I'd given up on this. ( And stopped looking for replies )
Thank you for replying.

I guess there's a lot on there to ask about - and sometimes I'm surmising what he may or may not have been discussing.

Firstly, with respect to the left hand (around 1m 23s) I want to know what he says to precede that. I have trouble synchronising both hands at higher speeds (you could argue - I have long suspected this to be the case, but don't know for sure - that it's there all the time but far more noticeable at high speeds) and believe that my left hand is feeding crap to the right (as he says at 2m 08s - I want to know what precedes that too!!!)

Any help would be great.

Also I'm a bit of a Luddite, so how does one get in touch with the person who put the video on youtube?

Thanks in advance
Scias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to their user channel http://www.youtube.com/user/accordoTV , on the right, at the little arrow pointing downwards next to their name, click on it and send message.

That happens to be the thing I'm also working on, alternate picking at higher speeds is difficult, and it's too easy to slip back into cheat legato mode and play fast.

The first thing that has helped me a great deal is holding the pick differently. I hold my pick clamping it between my thumb and first TWO fingers, which is unusual and different from guthrie, so I guess it is a bad way to hold it. But instead of suddenly changing to the thumb+side of first finger hold which guthrie uses, I found somewhere a tip that says you should hold the pick closer to the bottom, so less of the pick is exposed, and your fingers are closer to the string. This eliminates bending of the pick and gives you more accuracy. The other thing is, have your fingers bent at a sharp angle, so that the palm of your hand is closer to the strings, and your wrist is also closer to the strings. Try to use your wrist to pick, rather than your forearm/upperarm.

Secondly, is the approach to practicing. I believe that you will need to practice a lot at a slower speed, but making sure that every note is picked clearly and accurately. Don't play so slow that it is boring, but fast enough for a challenge, but not so fast that you lose accuracy and control. The thing to use to practice this is either scales/arpeggios, or actual improvisation. Both are good. I know this whole 'don't practice fast' thing is very cliche and you hear all teachers say it, but you can take my word for it, it does work, with enough patience. I've seen improvements in my own playing with this approach (and yes, I mean I can pick faster licks, without actually practicing very fast). Get your fretting-hands pinky involved as well, and when improvising, try some chromatic runs as often as you can when it musically suits you, and try to pick every note! Ban yourself from legato for a period of time Razz

I have found after these two approaches, I can not only pick faster, but can pick for longer without fatigue. I am not as fast as a lot of shredders yet, but my speed compared to how I used to be has noticeably improved.

As for which hand is the problem, I can say that it's hard to find that out, I'm still not sure which one of my hands was the problem, but I dare say it doesn't actually matter, as long as you work on these tips and practice. I've found that even though I've played for many years, recently I had to go back to basics and work on this, using simple scales and improvising by myself/noodling. It has helped me to no end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: