Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - guthrie using charvel guitars now??
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guthrie using charvel guitars now??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple new photos...

it looks like a two pieces flamed koa body, roasted maple neck and fingerboard, two point bridge with vintage saddles (it could be a gotoh unit similar to the one on the vintage modern signature model)
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, agreed. Koa with a Roasted Maple neck. The bridge does look like a Gotoh 510, with bent steel saddles. All in all, it's not significantly different to his Suhr guitars. I'm surprised that there's no Blower-Switch present, but I imagine that this is just a prototype. I'm expecting to see a production signature model unveiled at NAMM Jan 20013, perhaps with the Fender equivalent of the Blower-Switch, the Passing-Lane switch present.

The pickups don't look like Duncans or DiMarzios... Be interesting to find out what they are.
doctordragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do confirm, neither Duncans nor DiMarzios! The humbuckers' bobbins look purple and the baseplates are red...
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed what appeared to be red feet, in another photo, but I thought it was a trick of the light... Apparently not!
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame he left really, would of liked to see how battered his antique model would of got in his hands!
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know... At some point in the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing a Suhr again.
Scias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anybody confirm that Suhr will be continuing the Rasmus GG signature model? This worried me - http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/rasmus-guthrie-govan-model-pre-order-today-.htm

It says 'We've just managed to secure the last five ever of the awesome instruments!'
:/

I'm not sure if they will continue these guitars minus the signature, or what... no idea. Can anyone fill me in on this? I absolutely love that guitar and want to buy it in the not so distant future.
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't continue it with Guthrie's signature on the back, however it's clearly proved to be popular model, so they may well decide to rename it and keep it.

I've played one, and it was a fantastic instrument.

The other Suhr GG guitars will also continue to be available, minus the GG signature on the back of the headstock.
govan8ter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that he'd just go to PRS.

After all, he recorded Erotic Cakes on his trusty Prs.

In my opinion, it's surprising because I believe he was always looking for that one guitar that could produce a multitude of different tonal qualities.

You can see him on Youtube in the early days doing multiple things on his PRS....then the same with Suhr. Now, with Charvel they're going to have to step up their R&D a ton to keep up with Guthrie. This might be a good thing for Charvel but if their guitars are not up to par, you'll definitely hear the difference in the live gigs. Sad
GG #9610
Cherry Sunburst Reverse Headstock, Standard
Rootbeer Standard
Scias

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already formed the opinion that the charvel he has played so far has too much warmth, too muddy, and not cutting enough.

Edit: About the Rasmus, the fact that they will be available in the future is great, but the fact that the signature will disappear urges me to hurry and buy one now even though I can barely afford it at this point.

argh anyway I'll probably end up waiting until I have plenty finances to buy it. It's only a signature, I just keep having to tell myself that, only a signature, A SIGNATURE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE GUITARIST D: agh it will be fine, who knows it might be cheaper in the future too.
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the nut width of the Charvel is? It looks quite wide in the photos I've seen. Charvels typically have a 1 11/16" nut, but the Suhr GGs have a 1 5/8" nut.
bender83

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Guthrie's Charvel is any less a guitar than his Suhr.I 'd like to think that all the great brands custom shop builders are at the same level.As for the sound i generally think that the maple neck/board isn't clicking with Guthrie.I would love to see him with a more high end mahogany based carve top like Myka, Artinger, Hartung through his MK 50.
Scias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right in general. It's all a matter of taste, we can all only give our own opinion.

I preferred the cutting presence of the Suhrs. To be honest the Koa body probably has much better bass and warmth, but like I said, it's all a matter of taste, and I had grown very fond of his mahogany vibes. Other people may well prefer the more even sound of the Koa
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems the Gear section of the Aristocrats page has been updated to feature the Charvel guitar.
Scias

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using Suhr amps and pedals! Wink)))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: