Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - guthrie using charvel guitars now??
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

guthrie using charvel guitars now??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's funny that some people are making judgments on how the Charvel and/or this Victory amp sounds based on a very limited number of clips they've seen on the Internet. I can never judge how a piece of gear sounds unless I hear it in person - whether that is someone else playing it (like Guthrie) or plugging in and playing it myself.

I have no idea what this Victory amp is and I can't see the vid so I obviously can't comment on it. As far as the Charvel prototype #1, I heard it used on the recent Aristocrats tour through the same amp/effects rig he's played before so I can say that I have a very good reference point. I've been on numerous tours with the Aristocrats over the past two years and have seen dozens of shows, so I can say that I have some experience with Guthrie's live sound.

Ultimately, tone is very subjective and it's really hard to say one is "better" than the other. One just prefers one over the other for whatever reason and that's that. Personally, I think the Charvel sounds thicker, more growly and punchier than his previous Antique Modern while retaining the attack and the articulation but that could just be the difference in the wood and the pickups.

Guthrie certainly prefers the Charvel and has stated that the guitar sounds more "like him" than any other guitars he's played. So he has definitely bonded with it in a way that only he can and that's all that matters in the end. As mentioned earlier, Guthrie is in a "free agent" phase of trying out a lot of different things before finalizing on something and that takes time. He needs to tour for a month or two with a piece of gear to decide if something is a keeper.

Another thing I want to mention is that the sounds of different artists and bands differ greatly even when the same guitar/amp gear is used. A good case in point is the Aristocrats' first studio album and the new Steven Wilson album. For the most part, Guthrie used the Suhr Antique Modern and the Badger on both and the sounds are vastly different.

With Steven Wilson, Guthrie is a much smaller part of the overall sonic structure that SW has created. SW mixed and produced the album himself long after Guthrie laid down his guitar tracks back in September. Guthrie didn't have any input on the mixing and the production like he would on the Aristocrats album. Guthrie is also expected to duplicate that sound and just be a contributor to the overall sonic picture during the SW shows.

So perhaps this should be considered as I'm sure the rig that Guthrie dialed in for this tour is to duplicate the sounds that SW wants - not for Guthrie to sound like a guitar god in a stripped down trio setting. With SW, Guthrie is dealing with another guitar player (SW himself), a wall of keyboards, and a woodwind player along with bass/Stick player and a drummer. He'll be doing a lot of weird textural stuff with pedals that he normally doesn't use and play the occasional solos to cut through a very dense mix with a particular sound as the song calls for it, i.e. as Steven wants it.

I told Guthrie recently that both of us are about to go on a major mode shift after completing the Aristocrats CA tour after NAMM. He was getting prepared to go fully into the Steven Wilson mode which is about as opposite as things get from playing with the Aristocrats while I had to prepare for another marathon business trip to Asia dealing with huge factories and big gear companies who are as far removed from the Aristocrats business and music as they can get. But we both agreed that it makes our lives very interesting! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of Guthrie using what appears to be a Victory prototype. Looks like he's playing a Jazzmaster of some description, too!

JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be one of these?

Fender 2013 Select Jazzmaster.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pic! Very Happy

Wow, that logo on the Victory amps and cab looks really cool. That's the nicest amp logo I've seen in a long time.

Nice new pedalboard as well that Guthrie has there...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: