Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - NGD: .strandberg* US Custom Shop Boden 6 Prototype
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NGD: .strandberg* US Custom Shop Boden 6 Prototype

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: NGD: .strandberg* US Custom Shop Boden 6 Prototype Reply with quote

My latest new axe arrived while I was at NAMM so I couldn't see it until late Sunday night but it was certainly worth the wait. This guitar is the first Boden 6 prototype built at the Washburn Custom Shop. The flame maple top is rather plain but I actually prefer it that way these days. Just not into fancy figured woods anymore...

Again, I haven't had much time with all the new gear due to the whole "post-NAMM" recovery phase but I've noodled with it somewhat and I absolutely love it. I honestly can't decide between this guitar and the Charvel GG but that's how it will stay. One isn't better than the other - just different. After having only played the Boden 8 and the new Boden OS 7 from .stranberg*, I've been anxious to get a 6 in my hands (especially after Plini got his) and it has really exceeded all of my expectations.

I estimate that the guitar weighs slightly over 4 pounds. It's lighter than most dreadnaught acoustic guitars. It literally weighs nothing but still feels great and resonates like no other electric I've ever held in my hands. For me, the sound is what matters the most. It's like the inner beauty of a woman. Yes, the physical look and the feel of the guitar in your hands are what attracts you to a certain instrument but, ultimately, you have to love the sound or the surface stuff doesn't matter in the long run.

I feel totally at home with this guitar. It plays and feels so good in your hands and against your body. Sound-wise, it's almost the opposite from the Charvel GG. The Charvel's natural acoustic tone is beefy, thick, punchy and solid with a lot of mids while the Boden 6 is bigger sounding with more lows and highs with an almost acoustic-like chime and excellent sustain. I also like the fact that this guitar doesn't have a trem. It makes me work harder on the string bends and vibrato. Sometimes the trem arm just becomes a crutch to grab and use when you run out of ideas or get lazy. A hardtail bridge does make you play a little different and I think that's cool and makes the guitar very complementary to a trem-equipped guitar.

These are just my initial thoughts. I'll want to plug into my AxeFx II rig as well as into the new Atomic Amplifire. I'm also anxious to try it through a good tube amp just to get a better feel for how it really sounds compared to the Charvel GG and other "normal" guitars. More to come soon! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new nice little demo of the Boden 6 by Plini:

http://youtu.be/1lOLaH4skqw

This US Custom Shop guitar features curly Koa top on swamp ash body, ebony fingerboard on maple neck, satin gold hardware and Bare Knuckle Juggernaut pickups.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
terje_t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, you're not doing much to help cure my GAS, Ed!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice promo pic of Plini with his US Custom Shop Boden 6... Yes, a headless guitar can still look very cool... I have to admit that I pick up the Boden 6 more than any other guitar right now. I love the Charvel GG but it seems I just gravitate towards the Boden 6 more because it's so inviting, is so light, and so friggin' resonant and loud acoustically. Unplugged, it's the most "acoustic-sounding" electric I've ever played or heard.

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digging the shape and ergonomics….i bet it's a dream to play
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: