Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhone 6 or 6 Plus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: iPhone 6 or 6 Plus? Reply with quote

So I decided to wander to the local Apple Store and check out the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus models. I still have the 3-year-old 4S which has served me very well and I never even got interested in checking out the 5 or 5S models. I figure it's time for an upgrade now - not that I really need it. I'm in no hurry and will probably wait it out another few months. It's a tool to make phone calls, text messages, check emails, snap a few photos, and take notes but I really don't use it for much else.

Still, it really is useful - especially since I travel a lot and I use it for both personal and professional company uses. I skipped the 5S as I just didn't think the screen was big enough. I know Guthrie skipped the 5S for essentially the same reason. He's had the 4S for as long as I had. Now the decision is on whether to get the 6 or the 6 Plus. I know this has nothing to do with guitar gear but it is gear. Mr. Green Guthrie and the Aristocrats do use the Bebot app in their iPhones quite a bit during their live performances. Wink

So, I get to the bustling store to check both of them out in person and now I'm more confused than ever on which on I want. The main reason that I'm considering the Plus is that my eyesight has steadily gone downhill and I need to use reading glasses or zoom the screen constantly to read stuff on it. If I was living in Seoul commuting by subway or bus most of the time (which almost happened a few years ago), it'd be a no-brainer: I'd get the Plus. I also use a BT earpiece or the Bose noise-canceling earbuds most of the time for calls anyway. I don't like holding any phone next to my face for more than a few minutes. I also don't like having things in my pockets, so I always have the phone on a belt case/clip.

Here are some pics that compare the two side by side:

The iPhone 6 Plus in my hand

The iPhone 6 in my hand

The two together side by side

The 6 Plus isn't as big or bulky as I thought it'd be - especially compared to some other mega-sized phones I've seen from the likes of Samsung and HTC. Still, it's friggin' big. The 6 actually seems small and svelte in comparison and feels just right in your hand. It fits like a glove.

But then, I'd pick up the Plus and the gorgeous HD screen would seduce me - especially with the larger lettering which would save me the hassle of donning the reading glasses every time I pick up the phone to read something. Here's a pic of how I'd want an email inbox page to look like.

This would indeed be awesome for my trips abroad to quickly stomp out emails in the inbox while I'm sitting in the airport lounge or in the car somewhere stuck in traffic getting to the factory or the hotel. I'm all about keeping my inbox hyper clean, i.e. at zero. I typically reply to business emails in minutes or a few hours at the most and get 'em out of the way.

Well, I know that Guthrie will get the 6. Can't imagine him even considering the Plus in his jean pocket. As for me, I can't decide. The decision actually became much tougher after spending a couple of hours at the Apple Store. When I'm holding the 6, I'm thinking, "Yeah, this feels better in my hand." Then I pick up the Plus and look at the screen and think, "Yeah, everything on the screen looks a lot better on this..." I just kept going back and forth thinking one or the other was the one I wanted and I still haven't made up my mind although I'm leaning towards the "practicality" of being able to see things better. Ah, the "First World" problems we deal with! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note, I read and heard about the Chinese scalpers hoarding these phones to sell 'em at as much as 4x the full unlocked price. Yes, there are plenty of people in China willing to pay something like $2000 for the 6 and $3000 for the 6 Plus. Rolling Eyes Pretty insane but that's how things have gotten over there... Gear lust totally gone mad...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using the 4S too. And I do agree that the 6 seems to be the worthy time to upgrade.

I hate to sound like such an Apple fanboy, but I love all the guitar apps available on the App Store. They definitely made practicing and learning new stuff so much easier and convenient….and less messy too!

Guitar kids these days have it good!!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a great time to be a guitar player - so many choices, options, and new technologies to make playing and learning a lot more enjoyable.

The only problem is that all the new technologies have made kids lazier and they aren't as interested in learning to play the guitar. It's too much work for them. Laughing

But the ones who do get into it, they have more tools and references at their disposal in a way we couldn't have even dreamed of, say, 20 years ago.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see that there is now the "bendgate" about the iPhone 6 Plus model bending when kept in a pants pocket and then sitting down for hours and hours at a time. Rolling Eyes

Hmmm... Put something that big and thin in your back pocket and then sit on it? Laughing Why would anyone even want to try to put this in a pants pocket - front or back? Belt clip/holster is really the only practical way to go for this phone.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New technologies have made kids a lot lazier….lot of truth to that. They expect immediate results, instant gratification. Despite all the cool guitar tools we have now, it still doesn't replace hard work and practice. A lot of people that start refuse to put in the hard work and still give up really fast.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still haven't made up my mind about which and I'll keep going to the Apple Store once in a while to eventually decide. I'm leaning towards the 6 Plus for the aforementioned reason of a bigger and better display but the extended battery time is really good as well. The only downside I see is one-hand usability. I need more time to determine if it's going to be an issue.

I also think the 6 Plus will allow me to ditch the iPad mini. I read a lot of eBooks on it and I tried the same on the 6 Plus and it's good for reading paperback size books. It'd also be an even smaller "rig" to house Positive Grid's JamUp Pro and BIAS apps that I use with the iPads now.

I'm always trying to shave ounces off of my travel rig. The Strandberg Boden 6 would be around 4 pounds, more than a full pound less than the 8. So that with replacing the iPad mini with the iPhone 6 Plus would mean substantial weight reduction. When walking through huge airports, every ounce counts!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
New technologies have made kids a lot lazier….lot of truth to that. They expect immediate results, instant gratification. Despite all the cool guitar tools we have now, it still doesn't replace hard work and practice. A lot of people that start refuse to put in the hard work and still give up really fast.

These devices (and instruments and machines, etc.) are, ultimately, just tools and a tool is only as good as the user and what he/she does with it. At the end, all that matters is what you've done...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One-hand usability is important. I love taking selfies with people Laughing Embarassed

After a few minutes with it, the plus is too big for me. But if you are looking to replace the mini. It just might be the ticket.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the 6 Plus ordered since it doesn't seem like Apple will catch up with the huge backlog anytime soon. It seems the demand for the 6 Plus is much greater than Apple or anyone else anticipated. It seems the ratio is 50/50 in Asia, which isn't surprising.

When I go to Seoul and get on the subway, I like to look around and see what devices people are using since virtually all of 'em are glued to their devices. I was amazed by how many people were using the Galaxy Notes - even petite women. It seemed over half were using 5"-and-up devices.

When I first saw those huge 5"+ phones several years ago over there, I thought they were hilariously big and laughed at the people holding one next to their faces for phone calls. But as years went by, the big phones became so pervasive that they became "normal". And I see plenty of people here in the States with 5"+ phones now so this just shows that people like having that extra display real estate. And now I'm getting one too! Laughing

Well, I'll pass my iPad mini Retina onto my wife and sell her first-gen iPad mini. It'll be a big improvement for her. The 6 Plus will replace my 4S, the iPad mini and the iPod Classic that I have to listen to music in the Apple Lossless format. I ordered the 128gb 6 Plus so I can have the Lossless files in there. Decided to go all-in. It's a business write-off and I also get reimbursed by the company for the monthly bills anyway. Can't wait! Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite feature is the ability to record 60 FPS video Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my wife finally wandered into an Apple Store a few days ago to look at the new iPhones and decide which one she'd like to upgrade to and she advised me that she wants the 6 Plus. Laughing I had told her that I think it'd be too big for her but she says she likes the bigger display and doesn't find it cumbersome at all.

Well, women carry their phones in their handbags anyway. Just got it ordered for her and Apple's site says it'll be around 3 weeks. So we're adding our little share to the bottom line of what may turn out to be the most profitable corporate quarter in history. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally received my 6 Plus and my wife got hers too. So even with the new Charvel GG guitar beckoning me to pick her up and play to my heart's content, I've been more occupied setting things up and getting the old stuff ready to sell. It's not particularly fun work but has to be done since these devices have become a necessity now. Rolling Eyes

Well, I definitely love the 6 Plus. It's such a huge upgrade over the 4S in every possible way - except for quick one-handed usage, of course, but I feel that's a small tradeoff considering all the other benefits. Here's a pic of my new 6 Plus all set up to my liking with a nice Seidio case (along with belt holster) with a nifty built-in kickstand and screen protector.

I just keep the apps I use the most often on the first home page and everything else is organized in folders on the second page. Pretty cool that Microsoft recently released iPhone versions of Excel, Word and PowerPoint. I use these Office apps constantly for all of my work - especially in a large corporate environment like GC. I have the Office 365 subscription account and Microsoft just upgraded my OneDrive storage to 10TB! Absurd... Even if I store all of my music and video files on the cloud, I doubt I'll even get to use 1TB.

Anyway, pretty cool stuff. Well, I'm going to spend some time with the Charvel GG now. Very Happy Oh, and speaking of this, Guthrie reports that he just got the smaller 6 himself and is enjoying it a lot as well while on a clinic tour of Europe.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guitar/audio rig is now pretty much complete and I can't be happier but I'm also extremely happy with my Mac/iPhone/iPad rig for my work. Everything syncs perfectly and I can take the entire rig (except for the 27" monitor, of course) anywhere for my day job duties and all my other extra curricular activities. At my day job, I use a Windows PC but I'm using Microsoft's Office 365 and OneDrive cloud services to sync all of my work stuff to my Apple devices so I can take my work anywhere anytime. It's really awesome because it allows me to do so much in a short amount of time.

I'm now 4~5 times more productive than I was, say, 5 years ago. I'm doing way more things that I really enjoy doing and all this technology has made it possible. It also allows me to keep in constant touch with contacts in every corner of the world on a daily basis - factories in Asia, dealers throughout the US and the rest of the world, music schools, artists, magazines, music distributors, CD manufacturers, etc. And my various email inboxes are zero. Smile I can stay ahead and look ahead. For me, that's what it's about - making things happen for the future. I can't stand being in a catchup mode on anything. I'm already planning things out that stretch out years and modern technology makes it easy.

Here's a pic of my home office - headquarters of Boing Music LLC, Ed Yoon Consulting & Management which handles Guthrie's US business activities. My garage is the warehouse and distribution center. Laughing It's quite a contrast to my day job at a half-million square foot DC but the work is essentially very similar. For me, it's mainly about logistics, operations, and QC and that's what I'm best at. What makes it so much better and allows me to put my passion behind it is that it's all related to the stuff I love: music and guitars. Very Happy

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: