Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Plini - A Very Impressive Young Talent from Down Under
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plini - A Very Impressive Young Talent from Down Under
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new EP is truly great. That final track is called 'Paper Moon' and it's already one of my favorite prog-rock/metal tunes of all time. It's truly an epic-sounding composition. Obviously, Marco's drumming adds a great deal in terms of power, virtuosity, depth and rhythmic sophistication.

Plini has already started work on his next album which will be full LP length and I expect there to be more collaborations with Marco on it - not only playing the drums but with Marco's own tunes tailored to Plini's style and sound.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upcoming EP is generating a good deal of buzz in the prog world. Here's an interview of Plini that sheds light on what he's like and what makes him tick. I really love corresponding with him on a regular basis (literally every few days) talking about music, guitars, gear, future plans, etc. Plini is very intelligent with a great sense of humor, infectiously optimistic, very open-minded and forward-thinking, super-talented and very adventurous with a heart of gold. Reminds me very much of Guthrie in these regards as well. Very Happy

http://www.itdjents.com/interviews/thursday-interview-with-plini-its-not-the-end-of-everything-its-the-beginning-of-everything/

And the EP is already getting some stellar reviews:

http://www.themonolith.com/music/review-plini-the-end-of-everything/

http://themusicalmeltingpot.com/2015/03/04/plini-the-end-of-everything/
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great review of the EP:

http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2015/03/09/plini-the-end-of-everything/

One more day till the release... I highly recommend it to those with a taste for prog with some sprinklings of metal, rock, fusion, jazz, ambient electronica, classical, and pop.

I really love music that are very difficult to categorize in some neat record-industry-created genres. When I play Plini's music for casual listeners, they ask "What genre is this?" I hear the same for Guthrie and the Aristocrats or something like LMR. My thought is, "Why is it necessary to attach a genre name to it? As long as you like it, that's all that should matter."

Plini more than satisfies my always-inherent taste for prog and metal (which my other faves Guthrie, Jeff Beck and Pat Metheny don't really tread - mainly metal) while infusing various other influences, styles and genres into a unique cohesive whole. Guthrie and Plini are my two favorite guitarist-musicians now. They pretty much provide everything I want to hear in prog/fusion guitar-based music.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire EP is now on YT for your listening pleasure. For me, the second and third tracks are the killers but especially the epic 'Paper Moon'. Marco's drumming is awe-inspiring while fitting in perfectly with the music that Plini composed.

I had been listening to the rough mixes with Plini's programmed drums since sometime in Nov, I think, and that's when I hooked up Marco with Plini. After Marco agreed to overdub the drums, Plini sent the tracks to Marco in early-Dec. Plini advised me that he started out with 'Paper Moon' and that Marco absorbed the song and then got back with the drum tracks in less than 24 hours! Shocked

Well, that's Marco. Even Guthrie gets quite flabbergasted by how quickly Marco learns and absorbs complex new material and then performs them so flawlessly and in an inspired manner. I hang out with Marco on a regular basis and I can tell you that he's very excited about working with Plini. He just posted about the release of this EP on his FB page as well.

Plini is a prolific writer and has already started working on his debut full-length album and you can bet that Marco will be involved. Luke Martin, the piano player and who does the mastering work after Plini finishes the mixing, is another fantastic musician - a great musical sidekick and confidante to Plini. This is a great world-class prog-rock/metal/fusion band here in the making and I'm really excited to be a part of this development to augment everything else I'm doing. The fact that Plini is a .strandberg* artist makes it all that much more fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQ5Nd3I3YI

"THE END OF EVERYTHING"

The final episode of the EP Trilogy.

---

Featuring MARCO MINNEMANN (Joe Satriani, Steven Wilson, The Aristocrats) on drums, SIMON GROVE (The Helix Nebula) on bass, and LUKE MARTIN on piano.
Guest appearances by CHRIS LETCHFORD (guitar; Scale the Summit), JAKUB ZYTECKI (guitar; Disperse) and GARY HOLGATE (double bass).

1. The End Of Everything — 0:00
2. Wombat Astronaut (Beyond The Burrow) — 4:06
3. Paper Moon — 8:28

Artwork by Alex Pryle at Dead Crown Design.
"Wombat Astronaut" co-written with Luke Martin.
Mastering & additional drum engineering by Versed Audio, UK.

Everything else written, performed & mixed by Plini.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

54K views in a little over 4 days. Plini is definitely generating some serious buzz. And gear manufacturers of all stripes (both big and small) are contacting me wanting to work with him. Plini is for real. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to Plini's EP a lot, and wow! I am hooked! Great interesting compositions that oozes mood and atmosphere. It's complex but it still sounds but it doesn't alienate my ears so much and just sucks you into the music.

And I am suddenly hooked into these new legions of progressive artists. They all share the common traits of great atmosphere and mood but it doesn't sound embarrassingly cheesy….it's very inspiring.

I also love the work of his good friend Sithu Aye, amazing musicality, production and compositions. I bought all his stuff, I discovered him through listening to Plini. Now I am off to check out Wide Eyes, Widek, Miroist, etc. it's a good time to be a prog fan

Guys like Guthrie and Petrucci have been a huge boon to modern guitarplayin I love it
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
I've been listening to Plini's EP a lot, and wow! I am hooked! Great interesting compositions that oozes mood and atmosphere. It's complex but it still sounds but it doesn't alienate my ears so much and just sucks you into the music.

And I am suddenly hooked into these new legions of progressive artists. They all share the common traits of great atmosphere and mood but it doesn't sound embarrassingly cheesy….it's very inspiring.

I also love the work of his good friend Sithu Aye, amazing musicality, production and compositions. I bought all his stuff, I discovered him through listening to Plini. Now I am off to check out Wide Eyes, Widek, Miroist, etc. it's a good time to be a prog fan

Guys like Guthrie and Petrucci have been a huge boon to modern guitarplayin I love it

Glad you're digging Plini's EP. And to think he's just 22 and getting better all the time both as a player and composer... Pretty amazing. You can bet that I'm spreading the word behind the scenes with the big guitar magazines, artists, music schools, dealers, studios, producers, etc. all around the world and they're pretty much all very impressed.

Yeah, there's some great new music out there from very talented young artists. I personally think there's more great music out there than there has ever been. We just have to look around and dig in to find the gems that suit our personal tastes.

I'm so sick of the old farts saying "Oh, today's music isn't what it was like back in the golden rock era of the 60's~80's." Rolling Eyes Personally, I find today's rock music, in general, much more interesting although I love certain great classics like anyone else. I'm just more interested in what's happening now instead of being stuck in the past.

One era of the past that really makes me cringe is the 80's - especially the hair metal and arena rock variety. I do still have some of that stuff in my iTunes library and I will play a few tunes from that era and I almost feel embarrassed, thinking "Ah, when I was young, naive and tasteless and into the cheesy stuff..." Laughing

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head when you said that the new prog stuff doesn't sound cheesy. Even when it's epic like 'Paper Moon' with some references to the 80's arena rock kinds of stuff it still sounds fresh, modern and interesting. I don't think rock will ever attain its mainstream sway of the past but, in a way, I actually like that better. All that matters is what you like, not what everyone else likes...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

I'm so sick of the old farts saying "Oh, today's music isn't what it was like back in the golden rock era of the 60's~80's." Rolling Eyes Personally, I find today's rock music, in general, much more interesting although I love certain great classics like anyone else. I'm just more interested in what's happening now instead of being stuck in the past.

I'm with you there 100% This is such a truly exciting (and also intimidating lol) time to be a guitar player or guitar fan right now. Musicians are continuing to push the boundaries of what the instrument can do but at the same time, they are also taking it into more mature musical directions. Anyone who is still stuck in the past need to open their ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: