Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie´s new releases
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie´s new releases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Guthrie´s new releases Reply with quote

Hi there,

I know, I know, you might be expecting to see some info here, but unfortunately, it´s the opposite. I am looking for answers. I recently became more and more interested in Guthrie´s playing and now I can´t wait for an album from him. Needless to say, I freaked out when I saw that he might be releasing a DVD from one of his performances. Anybody has info on when these releases will take place?

In addition, does anybody know when his website will be up?

Many thanks

Btw, it´s awesome to see people like you guys, supporting and encouraging an artist that is awesome and at the same time almost unknown. Keep up the good work, I think the world needs to listen to this guy!!

Cheers

John Petrucci
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ShredMeister!

The Jan 20 show was taped by a pro video/audio crew and they are editing the footage now and will be syncing it to the digital 24-track audio recording with ProTools. This will be an official Cornford Records release, so Guthrie and Paul Cornford will have the final say on what makes it to the final edited version for distribution through normal channels.

I also got video footage from a customer who was at the Jan 19 show on a $400 DV camcorder and it came out really good considering the source. There are a few technical glitches (moving the camera around as it wasn't on a tripod, a mic falling off the camera with sound drop-out, etc.), but all in all, the guy held the camera very steady through out the shows with nice close-ups and the sound is really good as well.

I'll need to get in touch with Guthrie about releasing this for public consumption. I'm thinking it'd be a clinic and the Fellowship DVD type of distribution. I can assure you that the quality of this video footage is superior over both the clinic and Fellowship DVDs with some awesome performances - especially the Fellowship set.

As for the album, it seems they need to re-record the drums and the guitar tracks, but Guthrie is on tour with Asia through March and Pete Riley may go on another tour soon as well, so it's unlikely we'll see the album before the first-half of the year. The producer, Jan Cyrka (sp?), seems intent on making the CD sound huge and amazing with the best sonic qualities possible, so we may as well wait a little longer if we've waited this long...

Will keep you guys posted... I believe the camcorder footage from Jan 19 show and the Jan 20 show DVD will keep us happy until the album is finally released.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Played

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Will keep you guys posted... I believe the camcorder footage from Jan 19 show and the Jan 20 show DVD will keep us happy until the album is finally released.

oh yeah.... would be cool to see that.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Very Happy Just heard from a local customer who told me his friend taped the entire Jan 21 Friday night show with a DV camcorder and will get the footage over to me soon! Man, we'll have a bonanza of video footage from some killer performances!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you, I've been watching the Jan 19 show footage over and over again and it gets to be overwhelming. As someone said on another thread, the show becomes difficult to absorb because there is just so much intense musical information being thrown at you. I really feel that my exhaustion from that week was more from the sensory overload of having watched Guthrie and his band play for 4 nights in a row than the actual work of managing the events, although that was a lot of work as well. I was starting to feel good again a few days ago, but after watching the video again last night with my wife, I feel kind of exhausted again... Sad It's like too much of a good thing... Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hey, many thanks for the info...!

Can´t wait to see that material, man. It really bothers me when I like someone´s playing so much but I can´t get to listen to them properly, you know? Was sort of the same thing when I discovered Marshall Harrison... I wrote to the guy and asked when he was going to record anything, but I guess Marshall isn´t even interested in releasing an album, which is something I just don´t get.

Anyhow, great news that Guthrie is going to! Any ideas on how the material will sound? Is it going to be what they were playing over NAMM?

Thank you

John Petrucci
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

ShredMeister wrote:
I guess Marshall isn´t even interested in releasing an album, which is something I just don´t get.

I suspect with a lot of musicians, the real fun is in playing: not in performing or spreading the word. It's easy to assume that these people got good on their instrument because they were driven, rather than just liking the instrument.

I think several kind of people want to make an album, those who want to broadcast to a wider audience and those who want some easy revenue. Either way it involves marketting and could so easily become that grasping "professional" musician, you know the guys who name drop with a playground taunt like phrasing.. "We had an AOR guy from Sony at the gig yesterday"

Also look at the crap you'd have to put up with if you were famous or even borderline.. the image management, the fans (be it rating your hair/playing/profile or shooting you on stage *).. I reckon a lot of musicians just want to do what they do, it's nice to have the respect of other players.

Obviously this is just my spin on the whole thing, hope it wasn't too long or ranty.

I have the power!
ShredMeister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Nice thoughts Reply with quote

I guess I wasn´t looking at it from that perspective. You are right, sometimes that underground profile gives you a lot more freedom and lots more space to try whatever you want without even having to care about the people that listens to you. And I think that is cool, but at the same time, I really feel some of these talented players are meant to be heard, you know? It´s just such a waste that only a few fortunate people can witness so much talent...

On the other hand, when it comes to Marshall in particular, it´s like he does not even put anything of his material outthere. I mean, it´s fun to jam, but writing is the deal, I think, because it shows a lot more on the guy. You not only see the player, but also the musician. As for Guthrie, I think some of the clips that float around show some incredible musicality, versatility and sense of melody, and that´s more than most virtuosos can say. What can I say, the more I listen to the guy, the more I think he´s one of the very best in the whole world. I think very few players combine technique, melody and musicality so highly and well balanced.

John Petrucci
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: