Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Post Your Questions for Guthrie Here
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post Your Questions for Guthrie Here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guthrie, ed mentioned somewhere that you can also play gnarly metal. is there any particular styles of metal, bands or players you like? would love to hear you do some of that kind of stuff. i'm trying to expand my mind and absorb other styles which you're helping me to do, but i'm still a headbanger and shred freak at heart!
Guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shredrulez wrote:
guthrie, ed mentioned somewhere that you can also play gnarly metal. is there any particular styles of metal, bands or players you like? would love to hear you do some of that kind of stuff. i'm trying to expand my mind and absorb other styles which you're helping me to do, but i'm still a headbanger and shred freak at heart!

Ed's a kind man - in truth, however, I'm far from an authority on gnarly metal, and there are probably other folks lurking around the forum who could help you out a lot more in that department! In terms of the headbangers everyone's heard of, I think Marty Friedman's precision and individuality make him stand out from a lot of the others in that field, and Dimebag's no-holds-barred aggression always makes me smile...
From a widdly perspective, Terry Syrek is doing some fun stuff, and of course you have to love the sheer excess of those old Cacophony albums. In other news, Meshuggah normally cheer me up - in small doses - and Devin Townsend has done some splendid stuff.
Additionally, I'm a big fan of anything involving Mike Patton - consistently wonderful, though not consistently "metal".
(The last thing I heard from him was his collaboration with Bjork on the track "Where Is The Line" which, for me, is pretty much the heaviest acapella track imaginable! I'm trying to investigate his Mimicry label at the mo, but their output seems more avant-garde, rather than heavy. Speaking of which - wouldn't you just love to hear Mike Patton and Bumblefoot on the same track?!)

Sorry - I'm in danger of veering wildly off-topic there... Have you heard Virgil Donati's "Serious Young Insects" project? It's not easy listening - or easy counting, for that matter - but no one could accuse it of not being heavy enough! Laughing
Guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gojirosan wrote:
I have a question!

What's the background noise of your WR2 like?

It's never bothered me - however, I normally step on it when there's a loud band having fun in the background, so maybe it's been frying eggs all this time and the general background noise has been concealing the problem.

Happily, I have a gig tonight, so I'll try to check out the b/n with a more critical ear. Initial diagnosis is that your particular WR2 isn't well Sad
Broken or not, though, you have to admit that Guyatone's "rubber ring" method of accessing the battery (and ensuring the pedal stays where it's put!) is a stylish touch Cool

While we're there, cheers to all for the wah feedback; no one even mentioned the Budda or the Voodoo, so now I officially have way too many options to consider!
(The best wah I ever had, btw, was an old Cry Baby; it sounded just like my parents' record collections, and it was wired the "wrong" way round so the "wah" effect happened when you opened the pedal up; that way, the pedal apes those mouth movements we all do without realising - which made bucketloads of sense to me until, the s/n ratio became intolerable!)

Re the Castledine wah in the pic - truly repulsive. Much respect! Cool
Guthrie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Yeah, the T-Rex Mudhoney is a pretty gnarly fuzz box.

Not as gnarly as that one I tried in your shop once, which had a real "Blow By Blow" vibe to it. Can't remember the name of it, but it was;
1) very small
2) very expensive
3) emblazoned with a stylised picture of the sun.
What was it, I wonder?

alexkhan wrote:
BTW, aren't you using the Fishman Blender for the piezo output of the Suhr? How is that working out?

Tonally, I'm having more fun with the Piezo Gizmo - the EQ seems to sound better and the sweepable midrange is a plus.
The expression pedal aspect of the Blender is pretty addictive, though - hypothetically, I wonder if it might be even more fun if the guitar's volume knob controlled the mag and piezo outputs in tandem, and the pedal cross-faded between the two... Idea
Gojirosan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:
you have to admit that Guyatone's "rubber ring" method of accessing the battery (and ensuring the pedal stays where it's put!) is a stylish touch Cool

Yes indeed, I am a big fan of those pedals. I love my TZ2 "The Fuzz" which is just pure evil. I use it for recording, but sadly it doesn't like being in a chain of pedals, so I replaced it with a Danelectro French Toast for live work.

I just wish someone would do a better job of distributing Guyatone in the UK!
Robroy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie,

I just recieved the new Asia cd with dvd. Your playing is fantstic on it.
Did you use your Suhr on the cd? Also, what picks do you use? From
what I can tell you use the small red Dunlop Jazz IIIs. I am looking forward to your solo cd. Take care.

Peace,

Rob
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:
Additionally, I'm a big fan of anything involving Mike Patton - consistently wonderful, though not consistently "metal".

Is this the Mike Patton of Faith No More fame who sang the immortal line that applies to all guitarists in regard to gear:

"You want it all............ but you can't have it..........."
trelloskilos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guthrie

In a recent "Guitar Techniques" readers poll, at leat 25% voted that you smelt of wee (Click here for more details) . Do you?

More seriously, I know that you can't take on any students, but are there any guitar teachers in or around the Chelmsford area that you could recommend?

Finally, when you first started learning, what was the first tune that you learnt to play fully?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
Yeah, the T-Rex Mudhoney is a pretty gnarly fuzz box.

Not as gnarly as that one I tried in your shop once, which had a real "Blow By Blow" vibe to it. Can't remember the name of it, but it was;
1) very small
2) very expensive
3) emblazoned with a stylised picture of the sun.
What was it, I wonder?

alexkhan wrote:
BTW, aren't you using the Fishman Blender for the piezo output of the Suhr? How is that working out?

Tonally, I'm having more fun with the Piezo Gizmo - the EQ seems to sound better and the sweepable midrange is a plus.
The expression pedal aspect of the Blender is pretty addictive, though - hypothetically, I wonder if it might be even more fun if the guitar's volume knob controlled the mag and piezo outputs in tandem, and the pedal cross-faded between the two... Idea

Guthrie, that fuzz box you're talking about is the Analog Man Sun Face Fuzz. I'm not sure if you were trying the Standard version with the silicon transistor or the NKT-275 version with the NOS Germanium transistor. I normally just stock the Germanium version. It's definitely my favorite fuzz in the shop. The Mudhoney, to me, is kind of a cross between a fuzz and a modern high-gain distortion, which gives it a unique thing of its own.

Glad you're liking the Piezo Gizmo. It's just a prototype so I'll get with the guy who's building that and see what other modifications he can make - perhaps with an input jack for a volume pedal to sweep between magnetic and piezo. Also, the next time you're here, perhaps we can visit the Suhr shop and install another knob to do what you're talking about. That, in tandem, with a new modified version of the Piezo Gizmo should make you a happy camper, eh?

Are you happy with the chorus you have? Analog Man also has a chorus called the Clone which is my favorite and just beautiful sounding - really watery and lush and can do great Leslie simulations as well. Looking at your signal chain, now I see what you're doing to get that Hammond sort of a sound when you're comping in the Fellowship video. I especially love your comping in "Song 4"! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
rjmmusic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Guthrie wrote:

Hi Guthrie, Ron Menelli here - I'm the guy who's developing the Piezo Gizmo. I'm thrilled to hear that it's working out for you. I appreciate the feedback - I'm still trying to perfect the thing and your "real world" experience sheds some light on the pros and cons of my design.

I'd love to discuss how to improve the Gizmo. If you'd like to talk about it, please send me an email (to: ron AT rjmmusic DOT com). Thanks!
shredrulez

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, guthrie, you sure know your metal! Laughing would love to hear you do that kind of stuff. ed's a knowledgeable guy and it seems he's seen an awful lot of great players in many styles, so when he says you're good at that stuff i'm sure you really are! did you get into bands like maiden and priest at all during your formative years?
Guthrie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trelloskilos wrote:
In a recent "Guitar Techniques" readers poll, at leat 25% voted that you smelt of wee (Click here for more details) . Do you?

Not to my knowledge - though I concede that it's possible. My distinctive musk has variously been described as "Like an ashtray", "Predominantly garlic, with Kronenbourg overtones" and "The Colonel's classic blend of herbs and spices" The wee issue has never cropped up - until now Laughing

trelloskilos wrote:
More seriously, I know that you can't take on any students, but are there any guitar teachers in or around the Chelmsford area that you could recommend?

You might like to investigate a guy by the name of Ian Woolway - I don't have his number, but "local shops for local people" undoubtedly have it on their files...

trelloskilos wrote:
Finally, when you first started learning, what was the first tune that you learnt to play fully?

The 12-bar one with the chords E, A and B7 - I discovered that this song went by many names in the early Elvis catalogue! Which was nice.
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Guthrie's opinion on Greg Howe Reply with quote

Hi Guthrie,
I want to know what you think of Greg Howe. I personally think he is one of the best guitarists on the planet, and not many people give me that same intense rush as he does. That being said, I think you are right there with him (and you are only half his age!). Anyways keep up the amazing work
shredrulez

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Guthrie's opinion on Greg Howe Reply with quote

tafolla-howe-govan wrote:
Hi Guthrie,
I think you are right there with him (and you are only half his age!).

greg howe is 64?!? Shocked Laughing

god, greg howe is so sick! Shocked amazingly fluid player. bet guthrie and greg could make some amazing music together. btw, what's tafolla up to these days?
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Whoops Reply with quote

whoops, sorry about that...

about Tafolla, he is supposed to have a new album out soon, but his website hasn't been updated for quite a while which is a shame....

Did you get a chance to hear Plastic...absolutely insane guitar playing, hes matured so much from his neo-classical days. He's got such a great legato and so many ideas. all around great album. I'd love to see a G3 style gig with Howe, Tafolla, and Govan...I can't even fathom how great that would be
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: